5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to delete the active air dam?

beetlespin

Reaction score
Will your next post be why did my MPG do down?

Just bustin' ya buddy, Good luck with your project.

2019Raven

Reaction score
I removed my AAD yesterday and as of today no codes seen. The previous owner broke the plastic mount on one side and it was held in place with a zip tie.

Julio13

Reaction score
Just to confirm removed it again yesterday and sure enough alert was back on my Uconnect app so looking if anybody has an old one around I’ll take it I read removing motor from housing and zip tie it would work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meadem

Reaction score
Anyone who took it off interested in selling the active air dam…mine didn’t come with one (thanks supply chain), and I do a lot of highway driving, so I would hope for the benefit

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone who took it off interested in selling the active air dam…mine didn’t come with one (thanks supply chain), and I do a lot of highway driving, so I would hope for the benefit
I haven't noticed any decrease in fuel highway mileage on my 2020 from not having it deploy.

brokebloke

Reaction score
I have had to replace 5 AADs in the past week due to the Service Bulletin for the corrosion in the connector. (Also had to replace an AGS as well on one of them). There is a "Communications" line and Ground on the AAD (along with power, of course). The AGS uses the same circuit so if one goes out, so does the other. I'd have to look into the schematics to see if a resistor could be installed on the AAD end to fake the system into believing it is still attached.
Any update on faking the system? I got an error code just over 500 miles over warranty, and the day I was going to bring my truck in the code went away. Now I have put on another 8000 miles and the code is back. I would rather delete this than have it fixed.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this question has been dragging on for awhile. Can anyone share the details of what's actually inside the AAD actuator? Be as technical as possible, you won't go over my head.

Jackpot50

Reaction score
I removed my active air dam because it would not fit with my plow mount. About 500 miles later i got a check engine light. dealer said it was from not having the active air dam and there was no way to "fix" it without reinstalling the AAD. then about 200 miles after the light came on, it went away. this info is likely no help, but just my experience. I am not sure what the actual code was, they didnt tell me and i didnt ask. i would leave it installed unless you have a practical reason to remove it.
cut the shaft and leave the one side iy plugs in to

Al the Infidel

Reaction score
We get 180" of snow and sometimes the low snowbanks are ice. Its easier to do it correctly vs peeling em 1/2 off when one hits the hard bank the city plow leaves in one's driveway when coming home from work or play. Been taking those dam things off since forever after dragging one round in the woods while hunting. Roads aren't nascar smooth everywhere eh?
Al the Infidel 2022 Limited Longhorn ceramic coated

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a crazy idea of repurposing the thing. So if it depoys around 35 MPH, what can we do with that? I was thinking maybe extend the wiring and rig to a flagpole on the bed or cab so it raises at low speed and tucks away at highway. Anyone else have thoughts?

Last edited:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
sorry, our long hours in this heat sucks and haven't had time to fully test. Mine doesn't have the Dam just the Grill and I thought it (mine) had the harness installed for the dam, but couldn't locate it. I haven't had another other vehicles in my bay to plug in a resistor to test.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mpg difference will be a non issue. The AAD might get you a tenth mpg more. It’s just the manufacturer trying to squeeze out As much as they can in the wind tunnel.

Julio13

Reaction score
sorry, our long hours in this heat sucks and haven't had time to fully test. Mine doesn't have the Dam just the Grill and I thought it (mine) had the harness installed for the dam, but couldn't locate it. I haven't had another other vehicles in my bay to plug in a resistor to test.

That would be great if a resistor work’s mine gives me an alert on Uconnect app since removed

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That would be great if a resistor work’s mine gives me an alert on Uconnect app since removed
If it's a serial comm link like I've read elsewhere, a resistor won't get you anywhere.

Julio13

Reaction score
If it's a serial comm link like I've read elsewhere, a resistor won't get you anywhere.

Ok thanks Ive heard of people taking the aad apart and just using the motor and zip tie it to remove any lights looking for used one but no luck

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just unplugged mine and taped up the connector. There may be a code stored, but no CEL

joemo

Reaction score
I will be posting mine shortly. Need to remove it but it does not look right with the Body Armor bumper I did this week. Should be posting a bunch of parts in the next 2 days. (Tuesday)

Gregbj33

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have the CEL on and scanned it and it is the AGS. Any way I can try to fix myself? Dealer so backed up he didn’t give me an appt yet. If it’s a loose connection or something g along those lines, where can I find the connector to mess around with it. I really want to use my starter to cool down the truck. Any ideas and help would be greatly
Appreciated!

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had a crazy idea of repurposing the thing. So if it depoys around 35 MPH, what can we do with that? I was thinking maybe extend the wiring and rig to a flagpole on the bed or cab so it raises at low speed and tucks away at highway. Anyone else have thoughts?
How about a whale tail rear spoiler that deploys at speed like some Porsches have? lol!🤣 I think the Chrysler Crossfire had that too.

Users who are viewing this thread