5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to delete the active air dam?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have the CEL on and scanned it and it is the AGS. Any way I can try to fix myself? Dealer so backed up he didn’t give me an appt yet. If it’s a loose connection or something g along those lines, where can I find the connector to mess around with it. I really want to use my starter to cool down the truck. Any ideas and help would be greatly
Appreciated!
Try disconnecting the AAD and clearing the code to see if it comes back. My cel said AGS but it was actually the AAD. Kinda deceiving.

Jac1984

Reaction score
Could someone kindly point me to any available YouTube videos or threads on here demonstrating how to remove the 2019+ active air dams without error codes or whatever? TIA!
im also wanting to know is there codes if we take them off?

MWD31RAM

Reaction score
So old thread but was just looking for other reasons and came across this and I’ve removed mine due to living in an area that gets a lot of snow and last winter while driving in a blizzard the AAD turned into a snowplow and broke off. Dealership gave me a stupid price to get a new one and wasn’t going to do that so I just took the old one took it apart so all that was left was the motor with nothing else attached no outside moving parts and hooked it back up so the pickup still thinks it’s there but it does nothing other than run the motor up or down.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
There will be a code, but no check engine light once you clear it. Jscan shows that communication was lost with the AAD for me. I haven't disabled it tho.

MWD31RAM

Reaction score
There will be a code, but no check engine light once you clear it. Jscan shows that communication was lost with the AAD for me. I haven't disabled it tho.
No codes it’s still hooked up just doesn’t do anything other than turn itself but nothing connected to turn (move up and down)

Attachments

• IMG_2220.jpeg
    IMG_2220.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 43

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
No codes it’s still hooked up just doesn’t do anything other than turn itself but nothing connected to turn (move up and down)
I see. You still have the motor assembly connected

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I unplugged mine, removed the entire AAD assembly from the truck, taped up the plug connector well to keep out moisture and zip tied it up behind the bumper where it should stay relatively dry.

4 months so far and zero codes. Pretty sure my gas mileage got better without it.😆

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I unplugged mine, removed the entire AAD assembly from the truck, taped up the plug connector well to keep out moisture and zip tied it up behind the bumper where it should stay relatively dry.

4 months so far and zero codes. Pretty sure my gas mileage got better without it.😆
Less weight!

Dewey

Reaction score
Less weight!
More like less wind resistance without the air dam being down on the highway. That’s some great engineering there. That guy deserves a participation trophy for a job well done.🙄

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
More like less wind resistance without the air dam being down on the highway. That’s some great engineering there. That guy deserves a participation trophy for a job well done.🙄
Technically would be more air turbulence under the truck increasing drag with it removed or not deployed.

Dewey

Reaction score
Technically would be more air turbulence under the truck increasing drag with it removed or not deployed.
That increased drag is giving me better mpg. For sure not less. Go figure. Thus my reasoning with my comment. That’s a real engineering marvel there.

howster

Reaction score
I doubt there are any videos out there for such a simple job. Just unbolt it, then unplug the connector and tape it up out of the way. I've removed 3 of them and haven't seen any codes thrown.
I lose the rear camera if I unplug the Air Dam.

howster

Reaction score
I doubt there are any videos out there for such a simple job. Just unbolt it, then unplug the connector and tape it up out of the way. I've removed 3 of them and haven't seen any codes thrown.
Unplugging it disabled my rear view camera and radio on 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie. Any workaround? Thanks

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
How is that possible?🤔
Shouldn’t happen, unless his truck is a 2024 and has a different setup. I don’t remember his truck details tho. He doesn’t have a sig

Users who are viewing this thread