5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add Digital Rearview Mirror

conserv71

Reaction score
Here are the instructions for installing the digital rearview mirror in the RAM.

Part List:
Mirror with 1 Video Input Channel, no FCW or ACC - 68448639AB

Mirror with 1 Video Input Channel, with FCW or ACC - 68448641AB

Mirror with 2 Video Input Channel, no FCW or ACC - 68519111AA

Mirror with 2 Video Input Channel, with FCW or ACC - 68519222AA

Center high mounted stop lamp with camera - 68551077AB

10' Fakra Z - Female to Female
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P2VBYWZ[/TD]

Parts if you have a 2019/2020:
2021+ BCM - 68496414AD
Wiring Harness from Jimmy07

You only need one of the mirrors. Just choose the one that fits your vehicle and if you want to have 2 inputs or not. You only need the 2 inputs if you plan on adding another camera like cargo, trailer, etc. For the 2019/2020 you will need a 2021+ BCM and the wiring harness from Jimmy07. You can get a used one from a junkyard. You can then stash this under the driver's side dash or the front seats.

Installation is fairly simple. Replace the CHMSL with the new one. Run the cable in the headliner from it to the mirror. Replace the mirror with the new one. Connect the mirror, truck and BCM using the wiring harness. Start the truck and enjoy your new mirror.

2019/2020s will lose auto dimming side mirrors.

For 2021+, use AlfaOBD to set the following settings for auto dim size mirrors.

LIN & Misc: CRVMM Present to NO

CBC Config I/O Usage: RVDM Present to YES
Good afternoon, could you tell me the number "Mopar" the wiring harness from from Mirror with 1 Video Input Channel, with FCW or ACC - 68448641AB before BCM "Body Control Modul"?

MrHomeAdvocate

Reaction score
So I have a 24 with the Auto-Dimming. If I swap out the mirror for the DVRM am I going to lose capability on the driver side for dimming. If so is there any workaround for that?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I have a 24 with the Auto-Dimming. If I swap out the mirror for the DVRM am I going to lose capability on the driver side for dimming. If so is there any workaround for that?
As stated in the first post and on other posts, no, it is only the 2019 and 2020 of they don't do a BCM swap.

vincentw56

Reaction score
It’s not exactly cut and dry in the first post.
I reworded it and expanded in it. It should explain it better now. Check it out and let me know if that makes it easier. Thanks for the feedback.

Adrianp89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I reworded it and expanded in it. It should explain it better now. Check it out and let me know if that makes it easier. Thanks for the feedback.
First - thank you for your work on this.

I think the confusion is because it's listed in two paragraphs.

"
You only need one of the mirrors. Just choose the one that fits your vehicle and if you want to have 2 inputs or not. You only need the 2 inputs if you plan on adding another camera like cargo, trailer, etc. For the 2019/2020 you will need a 2021+ BCM and the wiring harness from Jimmy07. You can get a used one from a junkyard. You can then stash this under the driver's side dash or the front seats.........

2019/2020s will lose auto dimming side mirrors. You can swap your BCM for a later new one (not used), but you would need the dealer to restore your configuration. If you swap it yourself, you'd need to do it at the dealer because it won't work right until the restore is done."

The first paragraph reads as it is needed no matter what - either used or new; the second reads that you need a new one to keep the auto dimming feature.

Maybe to reduce questions in the thread, I would only leave a single reference for the 2019/2020 trucks, something to the like of "For the 2019/2020 MYs, this mod will work but you will lose side mirror dimming. To retain full functionality, a new BCM (insert part number) from a '21 or newer truck (used BCMs cannot be used). The new BCM will also require a harness from Jimmy and dealer programming. " A guide for dealer programming or how to approach the dealer about this would be useful. I know my guys would look at me clueless.

Reading thru the thread - I also was confused about what features I actually lost. I saw something about auto high beams as well. I also didn't even know my side mirrors dimmed lol. I also got the impression there was a dual camera 3rd brake light and a single camera one.

Last edited:

gmercury2000

Reaction score
If you don't change the 2 settings listed in the 1st post you'll lose the dimming feature on the driverside. I just did the swap and used the AlfaOBD to change the 2 settings needed and it works like a charm.

Last edited:

dave-geri

Reaction score
Did you change out your mirror? Does it work? Like some, I'm a bit confused with this post. I also have a '24. I have the cargo view camera. I really want the digital rear view mirror. I want to order one but I want to make sure I ONLY need the camera.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Did you change out your mirror? Does it work? Like some, I'm a bit confused with this post. I also have a '24. I have the cargo view camera. I really want the digital rear view mirror. I want to order one but I want to make sure I ONLY need the camera.

Not sure where the confusion is except your question is confusing. Do you have a digital rear-view mirror now? If not, you need that. And you either need a new CHMSL with the camera or you need to modify your current CHMSL and install a camera. Again, I'm not sure what you are really asking. How do you have a cargo camera in a 1500?

Users who are viewing this thread