5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add 360 Surround View Camera System

Daverous

Reaction score
1) rear guidance lights are a BCM limitation. A 21+ bcm may fix this, however I haven't been able to get a dealer to commit to doing the programing. I'm not sure if a slave bcm with Jimmy's harness for the digital rear view mirror would help or not. Haven't tried that yet or asked?
2) try reading cvpm faults under diagnostics. Clear them if you have any, then try calibrating again. I ran into an issue recalibrating after a new lift and this solved it. Before the rear camera wouldn't take even after working previously.

Franklin18

Reaction score
What a frustrating experience! Got another CVPM to test with and the front camera still won't calibrate. Next step is to try a different front cable and probably camera as well.

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
I will try the clearing of the codes right before. The only fault I remember having was the one set for failing the calibration.

For the BCM was hoping jimmy07 would help with his insight. Was not tracking he did a BCM harness for the rear camera.

Franklin18

Reaction score
Front camera calibration still failing. Used a new cable and same result. Swapped front and rear cameras. Same result, front camera calibration failed and rear camera calibration successful. So I have ruled out the camera being the issue.
A new CVPM I ordered has a rear camera port that is not working, but also tried calibrating the front camera with that CVPM and it also failed. I'll be returning that defective CVPM.
Unless I received two CVPM with the same issue, both were ordered new and both mfg date 08/2022, not sure where else to look.
Only item not swapped is the harness, @Jimmy07 does not think that would be the issue since all other cameras calibrate.
Could there be any BCM settings that would cause a conflict? At this point, all out of options.

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
Is it possible to fix the missing white connector on this CVPM?
View attachment 155683
Not sure if you got a response, but I have the one out of my truck (2019 Laramie) that had the stock 360 camera system. Swapped to 2021 Tow mirrors with the 360 camera and had to change out my CVPM. My part number is 68318033AF with a mfg date of 09/28/18

hulk181

Reaction score
Thank you for the offer, Mr. Chow. The CVPM picture that I posted was for 68451000AE since I am also doing tow mirrors with cameras.

Maintf16

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an issue with the soft buttons not working when truck is not in reverse? When I shift into reverse all the cameras come up and I’m able to switch between all of them including the soft keys for backup and surround work fine. As soon as I shift into any other gear the soft buttons stop working and the only way to get surround back up is to shift into reverse.

Franklin18

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an issue with the soft buttons not working when truck is not in reverse? When I shift into reverse all the cameras come up and I’m able to switch between all of them including the soft keys for backup and surround work fine. As soon as I shift into any other gear the soft buttons stop working and the only way to get surround back up is to shift into reverse.
On my 2021 I had to set the model year in the BCM to 2020, then the soft button began to work.

andy00018

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm camera PN 68417514AA will work as it looks to supersede PN 68144068AD and is cheaper - Thank you

St-na

Reaction score
Anyone succeeded to calibrate 68451000AE with normal, non tow mirrors on '21?

andy00018

Reaction score
Looking to see if anyone who did this or planning on it had any extra good condition side mirrors they want to sell with/without camera. Looking for power fold, bsm auto dim on both.

Another question I have is, Ive seen a few pictures on here of the bottom plastic piece that houses the camera and puddle light separated from mirror housing. Does that separate cleanly and can I swap only that piece and keep the rest of my side mirrors intact?

Franklin18

Reaction score
Finally got my project wrapped up!

Unfortunately, don't know the root cause of why two brand new CVPMs would not calibrate the front camera. I was able to send one back, but not the other. BAM Wholesale wants a dealer to diagnose the component since it is electrical, which would cost almost the same as buying a new one. I end up buying an older one on Ebay, plugged it in and worked. Didn't even have to calibrate it.

During this process, I did run into some weird issues with the cables. One cable did not work brand new. Another cable worked with one CVPM, but not another CVPM when swapped. Food for thought, if you have cameras that do not display. I bought the ones suggested here thru Amazon.

St-na

Reaction score
Finally got my project wrapped up!

Unfortunately, don't know the root cause of why two brand new CVPMs would not calibrate the front camera. I was able to send one back, but not the other. BAM Wholesale wants a dealer to diagnose the component since it is electrical, which would cost almost the same as buying a new one. I end up buying an older one on Ebay, plugged it in and worked. Didn't even have to calibrate it.

During this process, I did run into some weird issues with the cables. One cable did not work brand new. Another cable worked with one CVPM, but not another CVPM when swapped. Food for thought, if you have cameras that do not display. I bought the ones suggested here thru Amazon. I believe my CVPM is also from BAM, was calibrated from the second attempt after clearing all faults.
Same CVPM part number? Sounds weird. I had some issues with one cable, I think it was from ebay, others from Amazon worked nicely.

Franklin18

Reaction score
Same CVPM part number? Sounds weird. I had some issues with one cable, I think it was from ebay, others from Amazon worked nicely.
With a brand new CVPM, part #68318033AI, all cameras had an image but could not calibrate the front. I purchased a second new CVPM with the same part number and rear camera did not work, just a black image, and still could not calibrate the front camera. I returned it thinking it was a bad CVPM and put the first CVPM back in, the rear camera was back to working.
I was still dealing with not being able to calibrate the front camera, so I ordered a used CVPM, part # 68318033AF. Again the rear camera had a black image with the used CVPM. I decided to buy another new cable from Amazon since I already had one run with a bad cable. Swapped the cable and the rear camera started to work with the used CVPM. Since now all images worked including the 360, I decided not to mess with it anymore and did not try the first CVPM, pert#, 68318033AI, to see if the rear camera was still working.
I have been plagued with random issues during this process and almost called it quits.
At this point I still have an expensive new CVPM that for some reason will not calibrate the front camera and the company will not take as a return or RMA swap without paying a dealer to diagnose.
Either I have some other gremlin or there's a bad batch of CVPM part# 68318033AI manufactured in 08/2022 since both that failed to calibrate the front were the same part# and manufacture date.

St-na

Reaction score
Seems to be rear camera cable issue. I believe I had some issues to hook up this cable.

R-66Y

Reaction score
I just finished this project and I also had trouble with calibrating the front camera. The other camera calibrated just fine.

I was doing the calibration in a parking lot and kept failing on the front camera. At first I was driving up and down the parking lanes. It wasn't until I drove slightly faster than the software recommended and parallel with the firelane that camera actually calibrated.

timbo1083

Reaction score
2020 3500 Limited UC4 to UC5 upgrade. Can anyone help why my surround view isn't working? I can select each camera manually. IMG_2484.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread