5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you like the Bed Step?

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Which part number for the oem step is it? 82215289ah is what I found. There are a few listed and all varying prices I have '22

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
I had one on my previous truck, a 2012 (can I say this? please don't castigate me for what seemed like a good idea at the time!) Titan and that made me add one for my new Ram - OEM strength, quality and convenience being the only way to go.

Dave

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the multi-function tailgate with the 5'7" bed and although I have used it a few times, I don't need to as with the "barn doors" I can almost reach all the way in to get most things..(My dealer unit forced me to get the multi-function tailgate and I have found I love it. And if I need to get up into the bed, the spot there under the license plate works fine as a step with the multi-function tailgate and doesn't involve the extra "steps" of bringing the thing down AND remembering to put it back up. I can just put my foot under the license plate and I'm in.
This is true if you don't have air suspension. Or if you have air suspension and it's in Normal or Aero. The "step" in the bumper is at a good height for me to step into the bed when the tailgate is open barn door style. But I've found the center bed step to be useful if I have my air suspension in the OR1 or OR2 setting. It's also pretty useful for people who have lifted their trucks.
SO, IF you have the short bed AND the multi-function tailgate, you really don't need it.. in my opinion..unless you are very short, but it is also standard with the multi-function tailgate. So, you got it. You may find it has use that is nice to have on a very few occasions and be glad its there but in general it is NOT needed.
Not sure why you think bed length makes a difference. Both beds would be at the same height. I disagree that it's NOT needed. I've used mine a lot.
So, it's nice but not necessary AND collects mud like it was designed for that purpose. AND, if you have the regular tailgate, when it's down you can't use the step...so... But, IF you have the 6'4" bed and the multi-function tail gate, It might be useful, particularly if you are short... Otherwise? It might be of more use on the side imho, then I might use it... Oh, I haven't done any serious off roading, but I bet there are a few of them laying around in the Moab area after some serious off roading where someone didn't stop and think.
The center step only comes with the MFT. With the regular tailgate you get the corner step.

Redfour5

Reaction score
This is true if you don't have air suspension. Or if you have air suspension and it's in Normal or Aero. The "step" in the bumper is at a good height for me to step into the bed when the tailgate is open barn door style. But I've found the center bed step to be useful if I have my air suspension in the OR1 or OR2 setting. It's also pretty useful for people who have lifted their trucks.

Not sure why you think bed length makes a difference. Both beds would be at the same height. I disagree that it's NOT needed. I've used mine a lot.

The center step only comes with the MFT. With the regular tailgate you get the corner step.
Oh, I'm not arguing with you. I like the step overall and once when having to get in and out to load it like a chinese puzzle carrying weight, I loved being able to do two short steps getting in so, I'm certainly not trashing it. And, as you note in certain circumstances I don't have, it can be a valuable edition. On one without the MFT where the step is on the side, I'm thinking I'd feel I couldn't live without it remembering my 2015 with the steel regular tail gate. I remember when I got my after market ranchand bumper after the OEM bumper did what they do without much provacation, that with the step in the bumper I was so happy. Oh, and that ranchand bumper was "robust" in comparison to the OEM.

I'm not trashing it, just noting how in my circumstances it is of limited value. In regards to bed height, length, I find with the short bed I can reach everything with the MFT without needing to "get up into the bed." So, that's the distinction for me. If I was lifted, had a long bed or other situations that changed my basic set of assumptions it might be great. All things considered having it on my dealer lot unit is a very positive thing...of limited value...to me...due to my set of circumstances.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m sure I’ve said this before in this forum - and probably this thread…..
They need to make one for the passenger side !!!

Tgryphon

Reaction score
Absolutely crucial with the 6” lift input on it

Whiskeymike

Reaction score
I have the MFT and the bed step is in the middle just left of the trailer hitch. Love it and use it often. I never drop the tailgate unless I'm using the extended gate. The barn doors are so much more convenient. No more reaching over the tailgate.
Same here. Got it on my 2022 Rebel GT with MFT. It's surprisingly strong, definitely worth it.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since I'm a whopping 5'5" I removed my step as I need to prove my manliness to ALL!! I take a running start, plant one foot on the rear tire and jump over the bedside, i land solidly in the bed. i do this each and every time i need to get into the bed of my truck. i have affixed a rope inside the bed so when i need to get out and i can repel down the tailgate. it's a spectacle.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last spring I was driving behind a granite crystal Laramie with the side bed step. I thought what the hell is that? Came home and looked it up and that got the bug started! Had no intention of buying a new truck!!

So you might say that I bought a 70K bedstep with a truck attached! :LOL:

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a hard bed cover and the bed step is great to get extra height to use my snow brush to push all the snow off of it. :)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Since I'm a whopping 5'5" I removed my step as I need to prove my manliness to ALL!! I take a running start, plant one foot on the rear tire and jump over the bedside, i land solidly in the bed. i do this each and every time i need to get into the bed of my truck. i have affixed a rope inside the bed so when i need to get out and i can repel down the tailgate. it's a spectacle.
Please post videos of this. And just to be clear, is using floor gymnastics to leap into the bed, and then needing to repel down a rope to "dismount" really that manly? Iiis it? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online