5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you like the Bed Step?

Tesla

Reaction score
My 1500 Laramie is pretty well optioned, but one thing it doesn't have is the bed step. I don't need it, but it would be more convenient so I went ahead and ordered it since it seems to be a simple install. If you have it, how do you like it? Is it worth it / well built?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s great, and I use it regularly. Definitely worth it, and it’s been trouble free on my 2021, as well as my 2019 before it.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love the step, convenient as heck, easy on my knees. Use it always.
Install was simple, but some have had to deal with re-routing the wiring harness by first trying to separate said harness, which can be a PITA. I got lucky, my harness was located in a different spot and did not require a reroute.
Good luck.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely worth it if you’re climbing in and out of the bed often, feels like it was really well designed too.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's the best part of the BUG option. Very sturdy. Assuming you bought the OEM step?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's the best part of the BUG option. Very sturdy. Assuming you bought the OEM step?
Agree to disagree on the best part of the BUG option. For me that distinction goes to the bed divider. I use that daily, where as I only use the step about once a month. Definitely useful though.

Yangster

Reaction score
I have the MFT and the bed step is in the middle just left of the trailer hitch. Love it and use it often. I never drop the tailgate unless I'm using the extended gate. The barn doors are so much more convenient. No more reaching over the tailgate.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
I have the BUG and the step is great...once you figure out the right amount of force to put it back in. If you have to get up in the bed at all, I would highly recommend it. My brother has a Ram with an after-market step that I don't think looks like it's engineered as well but I can't imaging having to get in the bed without one.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely recommend it! Installed it before my trip to Colorado and I've used it quite a bit.

TittoPollito

Reaction score
Let me preface the rest of the story with this, I have the 4/6 drop on mine and I am 5'10". That being said I am built like a Viking so I only have a 28" inseam (I am also 43 with a long history of MX before all the new knee guards/braces so they are about 90 years old). My truck came with it installed from the factory and I use it every time I enter or exit the bed. 100% worth it in my opinion

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have it and haven't felt like I needed it so far (didn't want the rails, couldn't get the divider with my long-bed, and my Limited already came with the liner, which was the only must-have for me from the BUG, so I skipped it).

However, it's probably one of those things that, if I put it on and got used to it, I wouldn't want a truck without one (or it's equivalent).

Having the air sus and putting it in entry/exit mode actually helps more than I thought it would. I'm just under 5'8'' and it's enough for me to be able to sit down on the tailgate and then just swing my legs over and stand up.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Let me preface the rest of the story with this, I have the 4/6 drop on mine and I am 5'10". That being said I am built like a Viking so I only have a 28" inseam (I am also 43 with a long history of MX before all the new knee guards/braces so they are about 90 years old). My truck came with it installed from the factory and I use it every time I enter or exit the bed. 100% worth it in my opinion
Viking? Not this? ;)
yosemite-sam-nofa-andriawan.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread