5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you like the Bed Step?

Limo21

Reaction score
The bed step is definitely a great add-on, especially with a lifted vehicle and getting a little older... :)

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2274.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2274.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 50

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Unless you're around six foot seven, a bed step on these trucks is a must. Sure, you can climb in and out of the truck every day like a monkey, but that gets old fast. A bed step will also reduce the wear and tear on your seats since you no longer have to drag your a$$ across them climbing in and out.
What does the bed step have to do with wear and tear on the seats? I can see that for powered steps, or even fixed steps. But the bed step does not assist with getting in and out of the cab.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unless you're around six foot seven, a bed step on these trucks is a must. Sure, you can climb in and out of the truck every day like a monkey, but that gets old fast. A bed step will also reduce the wear and tear on your seats since you no longer have to drag your a$$ across them climbing in and out.
I'm trying to picture how you're using the bed step to save your seats. :rolleyes:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the BUG and the step is great...once you figure out the right amount of force to put it back in. If you have to get up in the bed at all, I would highly recommend it. My brother has a Ram with an after-market step that I don't think looks like it's engineered as well but I can't imaging having to get in the bed without one.
I wasn't sure about the bed step when I first got the truck (never had one before) but I can't imaging not having one. I use it all the time.

Took me a bit to figure out to push/lift with the top of my foot to put the step back in.

I agree with the OEM step. Much better than aftermarket ones and is almost invisible when retracted. Worth every penny.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Agree to disagree on the best part of the BUG option. For me that distinction goes to the bed divider. I use that daily, where as I only use the step about once a month. Definitely useful though.
I believe the bed divider comes with the BUG for Ram Boxes, which I don't have.

I use the bed step to peek out of my garage windows when someone pulls into my driveway, so it gets more use than I thought it would.

The only negative about the bed step so far is I forget to stow it after I load my dirt bike. I'm afraid I'm going to damage it backing up to uneven ground or I'm going to lose some skin on my shins when I walk into it. I wish it had an indicator on the dash cluster to show when it's not stowed.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I left mine down once by mistake and when I pulled away from the curb the dash went crazy with alerts. I don't remember exactly what it said, but it disabled the rear parksense.
I would be happy to get those warnings, but I turn off the rear Parksense because I have my tailgate down with the dirt bike in back.

397STROKER

Reaction score
I honestly didn't think much of it until I went to get up in the bed and remembered I had it. I can't just jump up in the bed like I use to, so it has proven to be great. Less wear and tear on me.

HAL9001

Reaction score
I'm trying to picture how you're using the bed step to save your seats. :rolleyes:
What does the bed step have to do with wear and tear on the seats? I can see that for powered steps, or even fixed steps. But the bed step does not assist with getting in and out of the cab.
Lol, I misread the OP's post, I thought he wrote side step. Time to increase the magnification power of the reading glasses again. :LOL:

TittoPollito

Reaction score
Viking? Not this? ;)
yosemite-sam-nofa-andriawan.jpg
I was not try to let on to my secret identity LMAO

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I have it and it is built like a tank, easy to install, and you will be surprised how often you will us it. It really should be standard on any full size truck.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The step is in the perfect spot to split the height difference between the ground and tailgate...at least for stock height like mine is.

Much better than the dent (step) in the edge of the bumper on other brands (or fancy multi-position tailgates that have a lot of extra stuff to break/leak/squeak).

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 1500 Laramie is pretty well optioned, but one thing it doesn't have is the bed step. I don't need it, but it would be more convenient so I went ahead and ordered it since it seems to be a simple install. If you have it, how do you like it? Is it worth it / well built?
It's rock solid. Of course, I *may* have the original built-like-a-tank-but-recalled-because-it's-way-too-solid version ;)

I do wish it would pop up a little higher. It's a longer step over the tailgate cable and down to the step than it is to the ground. But it's way better that NOT having the step.

Redfour5

Reaction score
My 1500 Laramie is pretty well optioned, but one thing it doesn't have is the bed step. I don't need it, but it would be more convenient so I went ahead and ordered it since it seems to be a simple install. If you have it, how do you like it? Is it worth it / well built?
I have the multi-function tailgate with the 5'7" bed and although I have used it a few times, I don't need to as with the "barn doors" I can almost reach all the way in to get most things..(My dealer unit forced me to get the multi-function tailgate and I have found I love it. And if I need to get up into the bed, the spot there under the license plate works fine as a step with the multi-function tailgate and doesn't involve the extra "steps" of bringing the thing down AND remembering to put it back up. I can just put my foot under the license plate and I'm in.

SO, IF you have the short bed AND the multi-function tailgate, you really don't need it.. in my opinion..unless you are very short, but it is also standard with the multi-function tailgate. So, you got it. You may find it has use that is nice to have on a very few occasions and be glad its there but in general it is NOT needed.

So, it's nice but not necessary AND collects mud like it was designed for that purpose. AND, if you have the regular tailgate, when it's down you can't use the step...so... But, IF you have the 6'4" bed and the multi-function tail gate, It might be useful, particularly if you are short... Otherwise? It might be of more use on the side imho, then I might use it... Oh, I haven't done any serious off roading, but I bet there are a few of them laying around in the Moab area after some serious off roading where someone didn't stop and think.

Redfour5

Reaction score
With the regular tailgate, the step is at the driver’s side corner, so you can use the step while the tailgate is open.
That works. They should have just done that for all

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That works. They should have just done that for all
Had they done that for the MFT, you wouldn’t be able to use the step when the tailgate is open barn door style.

I auppose you could add a second step to the corner: use it when the tailgate is down, then the center step when it’s swung open.

Users who are viewing this thread