5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you access your bed?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I like the decked system, but it's too permanent and like you said, you lose depth.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I used to keep a hockey stick in the bed to "fetch" things that had shifted out of reach. Now I have the bedslide so everything comes to me rather than I to it.
There are still moments where I struggle to reach past the bed on a stock height truck which will only be amplified by lift. It's still better than climbing up into the bed though.
I use the wife trick too if something falls off the slide and needs fetching. :cool:

120217378_2666079213656432_552930216988289401_n.jpg

120331668_2666023470328673_4283514131287191018_n.jpg

246041891_2946329945631356_5476142167983138367_n.jpg

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice! How far our does the slide go and how tall is it?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm lifted 1.5" rear, 2.0" front with 33" tires, soon to be 34" tires. I can drop the tailgate and reach everything in the bed with my feet on the ground by walking around the bed and reaching over the sides or the tailgate. I'm not overly tall, about 6'3" with my boots on :D It hasn't been an issue.

If I were a shorter guy and couldn't reach over and grab things, I'd probably have a sliding floor like OCD Solutions shows off above ^^^ however I wish the end of that platform closest to the tailgate were wider to take advantage of more sq.ft. of cargo area.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
The top of the slide sits 4.5" off the bed off the truck leaving roughly 21" between the top of the slide and my bed cover IIRC.
Extension is 3/4 on mine which brings it out past the tailgate. Models exist that do have full extensions.

You do lose a lot of bed space but my bed cover is rated for 2500lbs so anything that doesn't fit underneath, just gets strapped on top.
WXMan is correct, not only could the rear be wider, the whole platform is less than 48" wide so plywood or OSB has to sit up on one side which is ridiculous. The wheel wells are around 54" apart so they had plenty of room to make the whole thing 3-4" wider and maximize deck space.

120239326_2666023403662013_863081378258965562_n.jpg

120217573_2666023426995344_2222467979530407032_n.jpg

Limitless Manufacturing. home — LIMITLESS
*Disclaimer for the super observant and detail oriented people - The cover pictured above is my old Mountain Top cover and is only rated for 200lbs).
I upgraded to a Limitless Low Profile Tonneau cover earlier this year that has a higher capacity than my truck. :cool:

tonneau+accessory5+(2).jpg

Last edited:

CLECSoft

Reaction score
I'm just curious how others use/access their bed. I've wanted to lift my truck since I decided to start shopping for a Ram. However, I had a 94 and went 6" of lift and 35's, and pretty much lost use of the bed. Ended up dropping back to 3" of lift and 33's.

I don't like just using the tailgate end, and I prefer to not crawl up in there. So, I keep my old man grabber tucked behind a rail. I can't reach too far from the sides, but that's how I've usually done it with most trucks.

I have a feeling I'll eventually level and go at least 34's. Will just have to pack better. Had to remove the tonneau for my tent. Going camping alone, so just putting gear in the back floor. Very thankful to have a crew cab now.

I have a bed sliding platform that I will shorten slightly when my '23 5'7" with Rambox come in. With the ram box I won't have issues with stuff sliding off in the front corners in front of the wheel wells.

Attachments

• IMG_1999.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_1999.HEIC.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 39

CLECSoft

Reaction score
The top of the slide sits 4.5" off the bed off the truck leaving roughly 21" between the top of the slide and my bed cover IIRC.
Extension is 3/4 on mine which brings it out past the tailgate. Models exist that do have full extensions.

You do lose a lot of bed space but my bed cover is rated for 2500lbs so anything that doesn't fit underneath, just gets strapped on top.
WXMan is correct, not only could the rear be wider, the whole platform is less than 48" wide so plywood or OSB has to sit up on one side which is ridiculous. The wheel wells are around 54" apart so they had plenty of room to make the whole thing 3-4" wider and maximize deck space.

View attachment 144143

View attachment 144142

Limitless Manufacturing. home — LIMITLESS
*Disclaimer for the super observant and detail oriented people - The cover pictured above is my old Mountain Top cover and is only rated for 200lbs).
I upgraded to a Limitless Low Profile Tonneau cover earlier this year that has a higher capacity than my truck. :cool:

View attachment 144144
I only paid $100 for my steel version.

Attachments

• IMG_1999.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_1999.HEIC.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 36

CatServant

Reaction score
I ordered my truck with the Bed Utility Group, which has the Mopar bed step installed on the left side.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm lifted 1.5" rear, 2.0" front with 33" tires, soon to be 34" tires. I can drop the tailgate and reach everything in the bed with my feet on the ground by walking around the bed and reaching over the sides or the tailgate. I'm not overly tall, about 6'3" with my boots on :D It hasn't been an issue.

If I were a shorter guy and couldn't reach over and grab things, I'd probably have a sliding floor like OCD Solutions shows off above ^^^ however I wish the end of that platform closest to the tailgate were wider to take advantage of more sq.ft. of cargo area.
So, your truck is about the same height as my Rebel. I can just barely touch the bed floor next to the wheel well from the side. That's where my old man grabber comes in. I'm 6'2"...

I love that tray idea. Probably couldn't fully extend in the garage, but I could live with that. Wider though would be better. If I can fit a 4x8 sheet on it...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So, does anyone else load/unload their bed while their feet are on the ground? 😄
I do.
I have air suspension, MFT, retractable bed cover on a short bed.

I don't mind getting into the bed if I need to, but getting out is very dangerious. The bumper is very small, and the step is way too far down.
Chevy had it right with the steps in the bumper.
I also can't really get into the truck easy unless my MFT is open, if I open it like a regular tailgate I can't use my OEM step. Really stupid design on Ram's part.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My "Bed Step", two foot step ladder, and my "Fetching Stick", telescoping boat hook. Been using these for over thirty years in various trucks. View attachment 144115
Pretty much my same setup as well. You can't go in from the side if you have a cap on the back. I use a water turn-off key instead of a book hook, as I always have one of those in there for construction properties, but I like the telescoping boat hook idea and might steal that one. Instead of the step ladder I have a platform, which doubles as a handy seat working out in the field.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just another reason lowered trucks are better than lifted. I can grab stuff by reaching over the side. 😁
My other truck is lowered. 😁 I'm still putting it back together though...

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do.
I have air suspension, MFT, retractable bed cover on a short bed.

I don't mind getting into the bed if I need to, but getting out is very dangerious. The bumper is very small, and the step is way too far down.
Chevy had it right with the steps in the bumper.
I also can't really get into the truck easy unless my MFT is open, if I open it like a regular tailgate I can't use my OEM step. Really stupid design on Ram's part.
I kinda wish I had the MFT tailgate. That would help.

Users who are viewing this thread