5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you access your bed?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just curious how others use/access their bed. I've wanted to lift my truck since I decided to start shopping for a Ram. However, I had a 94 and went 6" of lift and 35's, and pretty much lost use of the bed. Ended up dropping back to 3" of lift and 33's.

I don't like just using the tailgate end, and I prefer to not crawl up in there. So, I keep my old man grabber tucked behind a rail. I can't reach too far from the sides, but that's how I've usually done it with most trucks.

I have a feeling I'll eventually level and go at least 34's. Will just have to pack better. Had to remove the tonneau for my tent. Going camping alone, so just putting gear in the back floor. Very thankful to have a crew cab now.

20221116_215937.jpg

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I've been looking at getting a Great Day Truck N' Buddy step. Google it and you'll see a few different options.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mopar bed step. Best add on I coulda ever bought…my knees thank me everyday. There are a few aftermarket ones that members have had positive results with them.

You could also consider a tailgate ladder if you go with a big lift. Bunch of options out there, find the one that suites your needs. Good luck👍

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm just curious how others use/access their bed. I've wanted to lift my truck since I decided to start shopping for a Ram. However, I had a 94 and went 6" of lift and 35's, and pretty much lost use of the bed. Ended up dropping back to 3" of lift and 33's.

I don't like just using the tailgate end, and I prefer to not crawl up in there. So, I keep my old man grabber tucked behind a rail. I can't reach too far from the sides, but that's how I've usually done it with most trucks.

I have a feeling I'll eventually level and go at least 34's. Will just have to pack better. Had to remove the tonneau for my tent. Going camping alone, so just putting gear in the back floor. Very thankful to have a crew cab now.

View attachment 144072
I have to admit you are right. The lift and tires make it less convenient to use the bed. I have a pressure treated 2x8 in the slot of the bed you can see in your picture. This divider keeps everything from going forward when toting small stuff like bags front the store.

I have the step with the bed package. Good value package for the step, liner and tie down rails.

I like your "old man grabber" idea. It sucks taking the trash up and that one bag tumbles just out of reach.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the OE step. I just don't want to get up in the bed to put stuff in/out.

I had the bed extender in my Nissan and always kept it in the rear against the tailgate. Worked great for smaller stuff, but occasionally had to pull it out for larger stuff. Still, might be worthfinding one for the Ram. Maybe a board would help.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mopar bed step. Best add on I coulda ever bought…my knees thank me everyday. There are a few aftermarket ones that members have had positive results with them.

You could also consider a tailgate ladder if you go with a big lift. Bunch of options out there, find the one that suites your needs. Good luck👍
Are these steps interchangeable left/right? I have one on the left side from the factory and would like to add one on the right as well.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think there are aftermarket versions. I don't use mine often (I usually forget about it). It would be nice to have one on the other side, especially when I have a trailer hooked up.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'm not looking for steps. I don't want to crawl up. I was just curious how everyone else uses their truck. Sounds like everyone crawls up in the bed.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
there is this - is interesting and good for unloading anything it seems but not sure how practical it actually would be for loading or for your needs. there is a good video on it. and its not expensive

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish. For some reason, RAM thinks we only climb in from the drivers side of the bed. 🤦🏻‍♂️
For most people that's true though. Driver gets out drivers side if truck and goes to back on truck, still in driver's side.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have two Husky stackable storage bins with a cargo bar to hold them by the tailgate.

The Decked system seems pretty cool as well, but you lose bed depth for larger items.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, does anyone else load/unload their bed while their feet are on the ground? 😄

The Harbor Freight thing I had considered for a couple old trucks, but not this Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread