5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

OldSkull

Reaction score
Curious, what style do you have (Limited, Rebel etc), fully stock, Lifted etc? I didn't filter back and it's not in your signature. 9MPGs is terrible, no 2-ways about it. I hover around 17 mpg when mixed 60/40 city/HWY -- which is what I mostly do. The minute that line goes higher toward City, I drop...but only to about 15.5 +/-. No noticeable change with different fuel types 87, 89 or 91. The worst I've seen was 13.7mpg and that was an entire week where I was gone and my wife drove the car. I couldn't figure out why the hell it was so bad with her driving, then I realized that she idles the car a lot! Warms it up (it was a cold week), waits for kids -- on and on. Killed the mpg's.

I have a stock 2019 Rebel E Torque. I’ve tried using 87 89 and 91. I’ve also tried Not using the Stop/Start. I got the truck October when it was still warm here and it got 9 MPGs then too. The dealer told me I had to break it in.
It still gets around 9 MPGs now. I do remote start it sometimes on cold mornings. But it almost always hovers between 9-11 MPGs.
The dealer serviceman told me to let it warm up when it’s cold to get the operating temp to its ideal running temp.
Sometimes when I take my foot off the gas it feels like there’s a Drag. But the dealer also said that’s somewhat normal and the TSB updates should have corrected that.

I’m at a loss. My wife has also let it idle a few times when she picks the kids up in it, and yes, that’ll drop it down to the low 8s when she does that.
I don’t know what else to do with it. I can’t trade it in yet because I can’t afford the huge hit. I’m just hoping Ram recalls them soon.

Last edited:

Futta112

Reaction score
It’s crazy how bad it is... lol.
Dealer has been no help either.
Honestly how could I tow a Anything with this truck for a long distance trip if it gets 9 mpg with an empty bed?

It’s had the TSB updates. The dealer service don’t k ow what else to do. I had a 2015 Rebel that got the advertised MPGs, but this one is 10 MPGs off. Ram needs to recall these trucks.

I’m getting around 12, in the subzero wi winter right now. I feel lucky compared with your numbers.

kjn86

Reaction score
I have a stock 2019 Rebel E Torque. I’ve tried using 87 89 and 91. I’ve also tried Not using the Stop/Start. I got the truck October when it was still warm here and it got 9 MPGs then too. The dealer told me I had to break it in.
It still gets around 9 MPGs now. I do remote start it sometimes on cold mornings. But it almost always hovers between 9-11 MPGs.
The dealer serviceman told me to let it warm up when it’s cold to get the operating temp to its ideal running temp.
Sometimes when I take my foot off the gas it feels like there’s a Drag. But the dealer also said that’s somewhat normal and the TSB updates should have corrected that.

I’m at a loss. My wife has also let it idle a few times when she picks the kids up in it, and yes, that’ll drop it down to the low 8s when she does that.
I don’t know what else to do with it. I can’t trade it in yet because I can’t afford the huge hit. I’m just hoping Ram recalls them soon.

Irony is the TFL guys just did a Rebel towing MPG test and it got better MPG towing 7k in the snow and in the mountains! Stock Rebel too. Rebel does much better on freeways. I get around 10.5 now, all suburb, short-trip driving. They were higher than that towing on the freeway in bad weather. So weird.

OldSkull

Reaction score
Irony is the TFL guys just did a Rebel towing MPG test and it got better MPG towing 7k in the snow and in the mountains! Stock Rebel too. Rebel does much better on freeways. I get around 10.5 now, all suburb, short-trip driving. They were higher than that towing on the freeway in bad weather. So weird.

I saw that Episode of TFL! I looked at my wife and said “They’re getting better Gas Mileage towing a Suzuki Samuri through a blizzard in the mountains than I get driving with an empty bed on a sunny day lol.
There’s no doubt there’s something wrong with some of these trucks. I just Hope Ram figures it out before I trade it in and Ditch Rams forever.

tkeresztesi

Reaction score
from some of the comments I can tell that the e-torque on the 5.7 HEMI it's not worth paying the extra money and there is an extra service item included. I felt bad that I didn't get the e-torque version and now I don't feel so bad anymore. Would an performance chip help improve the gas mileage ?

Attachments

• TKRAM.png.jpg
    TKRAM.png.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 18

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
from some of the comments I can tell that the e-torque on the 5.7 HEMI it's not worth paying the extra money and there is an extra service item included. I felt bad that I didn't get the e-torque version and now I don't feel so bad anymore. Would an performance chip help improve the gas mileage ?

I couldn't disagree more (sorry). The eTorque doesn't help mileage much but performance is fantastic with the extra 130 lb ft of torque. I drove both engines and since I was coming from an F150 with a 6.2L engine the straight Hemi felt like it couldn't get outta it's own way compared to the eTorque. The performance of it is fantastic

2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn | 5.7L eTorque | 3.92 R.A.R.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more (sorry). The eTorque doesn't help mileage much but performance is fantastic with the extra 130 lb ft of torque. I drove both engines and since I was coming from an F150 with a 6.2L engine the straight Hemi felt like it couldn't get outta it's own way compared to the eTorque. The performance of it is fantastic

Probably a placebo effect... There's plenty of data out there showing that eTorque trucks are no faster than comparably equipped Hemi's
(This probably isn't the place to chat about this either, but you aren't the first person I noticed posting this recently and I just wanted to interject for a sec)

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
Probably a placebo effect... There's plenty of data out there showing that eTorque trucks are no faster than comparably equipped Hemi's
(This probably isn't the place to chat about this either, but you aren't the first person I noticed posting this recently and I just wanted to interject for a sec)

Definitely not placebo. I test drove the Hemi and was going to get it because I hadn't thought of the eTorque. But the next day I kept remembering how I really disliked the acceleration of the truck. I went from a 5.7 Ram to a 6.2 F-150 like I said and there is a tremendous difference. After deciding The Hemi really did feel draggy (of course it did compared to the monster I had) I was going to call off regardless of the better price for the new Ram over a new Ford I decided to try the eTorque. It is noticeably torque-ier (is that a word?) and didn't make me feel like I was hugely stepping down with regard to the power I was accustomed to. My test drive was on a relatively curvy and angled back road with more than a few stop signs. There is an actual difference between the two. All the behind the scenes, undetectable magic aside, there is. This thread is about MPG in the eTorque. I haven't read anyone saying they're disappointed with the power.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program

CouchAssault

Reaction score
I'd suggest using some better gas. Sam's gas made my vehicles run like crap.

https://www.toptiergas.com/consumers/

I run costco 93 regularly. i had been doing half a tank of 87 half 93, since they don't offer 89. but i found 93 seemed to be netting better MPG. I certainly believe in top tier gas.

i wasn't aware there were issues with sams club gas. it's a pretty rare occasion i don't fill up at costco anyway. There was a exxon across the street that i was eye balling, which is usually my go to when costco isn't available. I'll pony up the extra 30 cents or so next time.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Costco = good gasoline value

Sams = cheap gas of inferior quality

I'm a member of both.

Newguy

Reaction score
Wow. Good thread. One thing that's missing (might have missed it in the 27 pages) is that I haven't seen anyone recommend calling FCA customer service to open a case. This can easily be done via website or phone. They have to look at the case when opened. Then wait a few days and call every single day asking the status, and escalate it. When I called FCA they said they have a new vehicle group that tracks issues. This is how FCA feels the pinch and starts fixing things. My two cents.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Rebel is known for bad MPG from day one. I had 2016 cc 3.92. Never get better than 14 mpg on that beast. But it was beautiful beast. Same motor same transmission I don't know may be different tune. But it was way more fun to drive that other ram I ever own.

DanSkan

Reaction score
It is my understanding that the eTorque only helps with stop and go with extra torque "push" to get the truck moving from a stop. It that is the case, it certainly would only help "city" stop and go mileage and not highway mileage - it doesn't just automatically kick in during highway driving like a hybrid vehicle does and therefore can't help in highway driving mpg.

The eTorque generator/electric motor is larger than the standard alternator and produces a lot of torque as an electric motor but also needs a lot of HP to turn in generator mode. Generator mode hopefully is mostly done in regenerative braking or slowing down mode but if not, it is drawing a lot more power from the engine than the standard alternator would.

Power in = Power out. If you are adding extra power/torque to the wheels at the start from a stop than you are using the generated stored energy from the battery that must have been generated and stored there and must be replaced by generated and stored energy for the next "boost".

Again, if everything is working properly and energy was generated while slowing down or stopping that it is a win-win and the energy was generated for free and no power was used from the engine = more starting take off boost with less gasoline fuel consumption.

If everything is not working properly and the energy is not being completely replaced while slowing down or braking/stopping than the power of the engine is used to generate the electricity to recharge the battery.

I am sure that the eTorque generator turns harder that the standard alternator for quick charging/regeneration and would hope that it is "variable" for general system charging.

My other car is a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, a great comfortable ride that gets an average 40 mpg with no sacrifice in performance compared to the smaller standard gas engine.

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
It is my understanding that the eTorque only helps with stop and go with extra torque "push" to get the truck moving from a stop. It that is the case, it certainly would only help "city" stop and go mileage and not highway mileage - it doesn't just automatically kick in during highway driving like a hybrid vehicle does and therefore can't help in highway driving mpg.

The eTorque generator/electric motor is larger than the standard alternator and produces a lot of torque as an electric motor but also needs a lot of HP to turn in generator mode. Generator mode hopefully is mostly done in regenerative braking or slowing down mode but if not, it is drawing a lot more power from the engine than the standard alternator would.

Power in = Power out. If you are adding extra power/torque to the wheels at the start from a stop than you are using the generated stored energy from the battery that must have been generated and stored there and must be replaced by generated and stored energy for the next "boost".

Again, if everything is working properly and energy was generated while slowing down or stopping that it is a win-win and the energy was generated for free and no power was used from the engine = more starting take off boost with less gasoline fuel consumption.

If everything is not working properly and the energy is not being completely replaced while slowing down or braking/stopping than the power of the engine is used to generate the electricity to recharge the battery.

I am sure that the eTorque generator turns harder that the standard alternator for quick charging/regeneration and would hope that it is "variable" for general system charging.

My other car is a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, a great comfortable ride that gets an average 40 mpg with no sacrifice in performance compared to the smaller standard gas engine.

FYI: According to Ram it also helps with passing. From my experience though, my city mileage is crap and the instantaneous mpg is still like 3mpg getting going from a stop (but that could be like a programed guess).

Users who are viewing this thread