5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get the impression that Ram used the most optimistic configuration possible to get those EPA numbers...and then stated those values for all configurations.

(Excepting the small difference in Hemi and Hemi+eTorque configs.)

Another downside is the fun of mashing the pedal and listening to that Hemi. It's just begging for reduced MPG.

Last edited:

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get the impression that Ram used the most optimistic configuration possible to get those EPA numbers...and then stated those values for all configurations.

(Excepting the small difference in Hemi and Hemi+eTorque configs.)

Another downside is the fun of mashing the pedal and listening to that Hemi. It's just begging for reduced MPG.

All manufacturers are allowed to cert their own EPA ratings using the configuration they specify and then adjust based on certain metrics. This isn't a FCA business strategy problem, this is a Ram 1500 not meeting those numbers problem.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Also,

The algorhythm they use is different than our average drive. I drive a Mazda CX-5 GT and I'm supposed to get 32MPG on the highway. I'm lucky if I get 24MPG.
Why? Because to get the 32MPG. I needed to drive on the highway at 60 MPH.

Speed limit here is 70-75. It drops it down significantly..... this same thing could be applied on these trucks too. Just saying

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All manufacturers are allowed to cert their own EPA ratings using the configuration they specify and then adjust based on certain metrics. This isn't a FCA business strategy problem, this is a Ram 1500 not meeting those numbers problem.

What fuel economy are you seeing?

3.21, open diff, and OEM tires?

jdubc72

Reaction score
I had updates done and still have average MPG 13.1. This sucks what can I do? I have been granny driving to try to get 14, can't get it. Is there a way to check if the updates actually were done?

Longhorn 3.92 v8 eTorque stock everything 800 miles 89 gas only

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Limited 4 wheel drive, 3.21 non e-torque. I remembered to check my mileage today. I was pleasantly surprised. My 6 cylinder Raptor was averaging 13.9. I run 93 octane

Attachments

• IMG_3536.JPG
    IMG_3536.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 81

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got back from picking my daughter up in Harrisonburg Virginia at college and drove home to Lancaster Pa. I used the adaptive cruise and set it at 80 mph. I was hammering down 81 at a rate of 68 to 80 the entire way, round trip measuring 480 miles. I was pleasantly surprised that I got 18.3mpg at those speeds.
3.21 axle? Your sig doesn't have details.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What fuel economy are you seeing?

3.21, open diff, and OEM tires?

Yes, yes, and yes (laramie 20's with bridgestone dueler's)

I can't get past 19mpg on the highway (thats at 65mph, at 70 I get 17-18, really closer to 17). Even in my Tundra I could get 17-19 @ 70 mph (rated 13 city / 17 highway, 15 mixed, I got about 14 average all the time). I've been running strictly 93 octane since sometime around November. I used to use 89 when I got the truck, not sure it runs any better but I feel like if I'm going to explore this fuel economy thing, I better use premium so that it can't be disputed.

In the city I'm between 14 and 15 usually, if I reallllllyyyy baby it (like get in everyone's way slow) I can get 16. It's rated at 17 in the city and 22 on the highway with a mix of 19. If I was averaging 18, hell, even 17 mixed my mouth would be shut, but this is too far off for me to be ok with it.

I have the truck scheduled for an oil change feb 8th, so I'll make sure to get the RRT for the eTorque powertrain done and see if that helps.

Last edited:

SacRebel

Reaction score
I feel like I'm getting the worst mpg of anybody. Now granted my new Rebel has only 700 miles on it, but so far I'm only getting around 10.5 MPG. I do probably 80% city driving and I'm being light-footed on the accelerator. I really hope it improves because I paid a lot more for the eTorque engine with the understanding I would be getting 17 MPG.

I suspect FCA will probably have a class-action lawsuit in the future for misrepresenting the fuel economy.

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
I have one answer to an older issue I raised in this thread (because I suck): Tea Stained Brown Speedo Display. It's intentional. It's a horrible design issue on Bighorn. I jumped in a longhorn with my advisor with the 12" center screen AND selectable themes. The Bighorn theme was just as ugly and poorly gradient-ed. The other themes changed font and font color. So, we're stuck with that.

2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn | 5.7L eTorque | 3.92 R.A.R.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine seems to be improving after 5,000 miles and getting the TSB's done. Last tank was 17.0 with stop and go driving and some 4wd last weekend in the snow.

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
I've realized that after the RRTs my highway mileage is pretty great but my city is so bad that my combined always goes below 14, often to 13 or 12.5.

2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn | 5.7L eTorque | 3.92 R.A.R.

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
+1 on over time disappointment with the updates. After initial euphoria, the average MPG, regardless of driving conditions is back where it was prior to the updates.

That's after about 1k of miles post updates.

I hope Ram is continuing to investigate this as a priority. A few randoms that talked me up in parking lots about the truck asked if I had the eTorque, and proactively mentioned they read online that it was not particularly awesome.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm still getting 16.4 average. 60 mph highway is 19-21 depending on terrain. 70 mph is 17.5. 80 mph is 16.

As a fully loaded Limited 4X4 with ORG, my truck easily weighs 6400 lbs with me, tools, and a few accessories. I'm sure the AT tires don't help.

My mpg has more to do with how I drive. I can get 12 mpg also. When I want better economy, I have to purposely drive a certain way. My truck achieves EPA ratings when I do. I suspect the test drivers did the same thing when the EPA ratings where established. They were also driving lighter low optioned trucks with the active air dam. My truck has the ORG which has a 1" lift, no air dam, and a 3.92 rear end.

Best I can tell, the EPA ratings on Rams are not adjusted for all installed options. They have a set of ratings for 2WD 5.7 Hemi and 4WD 5.7 Hemi, and another for eTorque 2WD Hemi and 4WD Hemi.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm still getting 16.4 average. 60 mph highway is 19-21 depending on terrain. 70 mph is 17.5. 80 mph is 16.

As a fully loaded Limited 4X4 with ORG, my truck easily weighs 6400 lbs with me, tools, and a few accessories. I'm sure the AT tires don't help.

My mpg has more to do with how I drive. I can get 12 mpg also. When I want better economy, I have to purposely drive a certain way. My truck achieves EPA ratings when I do. I suspect the test drivers did the same thing when the EPA ratings where established. They were also driving lighter low optioned trucks with the active air dam. My truck has the ORG which has a 1" lift, no air dam, and a 3.92 rear end.

Best I can tell, the EPA ratings on Rams are not adjusted for all installed options. They have a set of ratings for 2WD 5.7 Hemi and 4WD 5.7 Hemi, and another for eTorque 2WD Hemi and 4WD Hemi.

I'm getting almost exactly the same MPG as you with my heavy Limited, now at 5500 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread