5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

Rustydodge

Reaction score
You guys that have had the TSBs done and have downshift issues....ask if they "reset the adaptives" for the transmission after doing the TSBs. My durango learned a bad 5-4th downshift. Resetting the adaptives fixed it. I wonder if the poor downshift performance was something the trans learned with the previous programming logic, and should have been completely reset so it functions better with the new programming? Complete guess

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You guys that have had the TSBs done and have downshift issues....ask if they "reset the adaptives" for the transmission after doing the TSBs. My durango learned a bad 5-4th downshift. Resetting the adaptives fixed it. I wonder if the poor downshift performance was something the trans learned with the previous programming logic, and should have been completely reset so it functions better with the new programming? Complete guess

Is there any way to clear these yourself? I know a few other makes clear when you disconnect the battery. I suspect they did not clear mine when flashing and would love to try it.

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
Is there any way to clear these yourself? I know a few other makes clear when you disconnect the battery. I suspect they did not clear mine when flashing and would love to try it.

Soo far as I know, it's an OBD thing. After it's done, you'll want to, at a slow to moderate speed drive up through the gears and back down to get a better baseline.

2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn | 5.7L eTorque | 3.92 R.A.R.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Soo far as I know, it's an OBD thing. After it's done, you'll want to, at a slow to moderate speed drive up through the gears and back down to get a better baseline.

Or is this the sort of thing that will adaptively fix itself over time? Or is it like a bad puppy in that once it learns a bad behavior, it's set for life?

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
Or is this the sort of thing that will adaptively fix itself over time? Or is it like a bad puppy in that once it learns a bad behavior, it's set for life?

Nice analogy! But sorry, I'm not sure

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
From what I understand, PCMs relearn the driving behaviors continuously. It doesnt preprogram overnight, but from a pattern of data.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I could reset the adaptive transmission in my Mercedes Benz (turn key to run, fully depress gas pedal, turn off key, hold gas pedal for 20-30 seconds, release, then don't touch anything for 2 minutes), so I wonder if there's something similar in the Ram?

Hammer1

Reaction score
I just got back from picking my daughter up in Harrisonburg Virginia at college and drove home to Lancaster Pa. I used the adaptive cruise and set it at 80 mph. I was hammering down 81 at a rate of 68 to 80 the entire way, round trip measuring 480 miles. I was pleasantly surprised that I got 18.3mpg at those speeds.

Last edited:

Hammer1

Reaction score
Here is the pic I took in my garage. The adaptive cruise seems to work well with the e torque. My eco light was coming on at 75 mph quite a bit on a flat surface.

Attachments

• 20190118_155800.jpg
    20190118_155800.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99

Creep0321

Reaction score
I just got back from picking my daughter up in Harrison Virginia at college and drove home to Lancaster Pa. I used the adaptive cruise and set it at 80 mph. I was hammering down 81 at a rate of 68 to 80 the entire way, round trip measuring 480 miles. I was pleasantly surprised that I got 18.3mpg at those speeds.
Truck details? Add them to your signature please

slimchance

Reaction score
I just got back from picking my daughter up in Harrison Virginia at college and drove home to Lancaster Pa. I used the adaptive cruise and set it at 80 mph. I was hammering down 81 at a rate of 68 to 80 the entire way, round trip measuring 480 miles. I was pleasantly surprised that I got 18.3mpg at those speeds.

i live outside conestoga pa

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The wife and I drove down to the south end of Colorado Springs for brunch. I drove at or above the speed limit (at times over 80 mph) and had some local traffic in Sedalia, Castle Rock, and Colorado Springs. That was up and over Monument Hill both ways and a round trip of about 125 miles. Imagine the horror when I got back home and saw this;
mpg.jpg

That's with terrain, at elevation, winter gas. I can't imagine the mileage I'd get if I lived somewhere flat or around sea level.

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
My 19 with non etorque and 5.7 w/3.92 orp, keeps getting worse. I'm at 1500 miles and saw 16.8 mpg on my first 360 mile trip with just the truck. Just got done with a 250 mile trip with a mix of 60 mph and 75 mph running, averaged 15.9 via the truck but will calculate by hand when I fill up on my way home Tuesday but am anticipating less than what the truck told me. Getting 10 - 11 mpg with shorter trips to work ( 7 - 15 miles) love the truck other than the mpg so far, that's the only thing I am missing about my GMC is the additional 3 - 5 mpg. Hoping warmer weather in the spring will greatly improve this. It was 7 - 10 F on my trip down. Maybe should have considered a 3/4 gas I guess but I'm going to be hopeful as I really like the truck otherwise. I will be installing airbags for towing next week and thinking of a hellwig swaybar. I do like seeing the higher mpgs of other members though!

Unfortunately, Non eTorque Hemi posts in this thread aren't generally useful to anyone because this thread's focus is on the advertised MPG vs actual MPG of eTorque engines. I don't think anyone minds a few off topic posts, and generally we all seem to like input of most kinds, but I'm not sure you'll get what you're looking for.

josepy121380

Reaction score
My 2019 with 2200 miles gets 12.4mpg bone stock. Not very happy with this truck. Truck feels like there is a drag. Dealer says all Tsb are done. Time to take it in.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m getting about 15.1 based on the computer. I haven’t done any manual calculations and I just hit 1k miles.

Boostfeen

Reaction score
Bought my 19' Ram Rebel with eTorque Hemi on 9/28/18. I had numerous longer trips to take and mileage has built up fast.

Just getting ready to pass over 3,000 miles thanks to a trip from Orlando FL to Central KY and back again.

My issue: horrific gas mileage! I simply can't figure it out. My drive was 1600 miles roundtrip, not towing, with just myself and baggage in the truck.

My fuel mileage (all highway, with cruise control engaged at speed limit) on the way up = 15.0 mpg hwy, my mileage driving back tonight is 14.8 mpg. While the sticker rates the truck at 17 city/22 highway, I never expect to achieve those numbers. But 15 city/ 19 hwy is what I got on my 2011 Hemi. I at least expected that.

This is my 4th Ram, and I know something must be wrong. I'm not dragging a brake as I check brake temps, and they were cool to the touch.

MDS almost never activates and the truck downshifts on even the slightest uphill grade. At 70 mph and 1850 RPM (.392 gears), there's ample torque to never require a downshift on moderate Florida hwy grades.

I'm fearful that the eTorque motor is causing a high amount of drag during hwy driving conditions. I guess it's back to the dealer with my fingers crossed.
Just got a 2019 ram and experiencing the exact same issues , I dont have etorque . Mds never engages. Somethig is definitly wrong with many of these trucks

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5600 lbs-3.92 gears-aero of a barn door-33 inch tires-go get a prius-comon man!
This argument drives me crazy. (I'm not trying to target just you, I'm speaking in general here)

I'm not asking for 65mpg out of my 5600lb barn door, but this isn't 1965 either. Yes it has 400hp, but it also should be getting between 15 and 23 mpg depending on configuration and speed. It's ADVERTISED that if I pay anywhere between $30,000 and $70,000 for one of these trucks, I will get either 17 or 19 mpg combined. Did I get any money back because my results are between 20 and 25% off? I've achieved at least the city mpg rating as my average in any other vehicle I've owned (except one of the two Subaru's I had, which had a class action lawsuit over fuel economy after I sold it, go figure). If any of us did buy a Prius and then got 40mpg instead of 55, we'd be saying the same thing. What do they do over on the Prius forums? Troll everyone and say "if you wanted good fuel economy you should have bought a Tesla?" It makes zero sense to me. There is an expectation that in exchange for MY MONEY, I will get a vehicle with EVERYTHING listed on the monroney, including the mpg. Imagine if someone dyno tested their truck and it put out 20% less hp than advertised, don't you think people would be pissed? I would be. Its the same thing here. No one's gonna tell me not to worry about fuel economy in a truck, because its a truck. Fuel economy is a measurable metric just like horsepower, payload capacity, interior volume, and anything else they advertise as what you get when you drop $65k at Ram. If any of those other metrics were off by 25% Ram (or any other company) would be out of business.

Users who are viewing this thread