5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

OldSkull

Reaction score
I’m getting crappy MPGs too. I had the updates done a week ago and haven’t seen much improvement. I was getting 9-12 MPGs now I’m getting up to 14 MPGs. Still not happy with it. Ram should issue free Gas Cards every month to offset the extra cost.
I like the truck but I would have never bought it if they Id known how terrible the MPGs would be.
My 1979 Trans Am with a 455 4 speed gets better gas mileage than this truck.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m getting crappy MPGs too. I had the updates done a week ago and haven’t seen much improvement. I was getting 9-12 MPGs now I’m getting up to 14 MPGs. Still not happy with it. Ram should issue free Gas Cards every month to offset the extra cost.
I like the truck but I would have never bought it if they Id known how terrible the MPGs would be.
My 1979 Trans Am with a 455 4 speed gets better gas mileage than this truck.
Off topic post here. The last year for the 455 motor was 1976. I had a 76 with the 455 4spd, what a fun car that was. It was heavily modded and got 8-10mpg. Of course I was 17 and I drove it hard. After 76 the biggest TA engine was a 6.6 liter ~403 c.i.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Funny how my 4th gen with level and 35’s still beat the **** out of this stock 5th gen rebel in mpg lol.

See that's the part I don't get.

Guy at work was complaing about his 5.0 f150 6" lift and 35s getting 15mpg highway. Other guy with 14 ram and same setup said man i get 20mpg highway no problem.. then they looked at me. It was pretty embarrassing to say 14...

Anywho

I took my truck in and complained about the shifting when slowing down , steering issues, and assorted uconnect issues. They did the rrt's. Seems good so far. According to the dash I'm seeing 2-3 mpg improvement on my normal drive home. Shifting when slowing quick definitely seemed better.

RamTruckMan

Reaction score

Guy at work was complaing about his 5.0 f150 6" lift and 35s getting 15mpg highway. Other guy with 14 ram and same setup said man i get 20mpg highway no problem.. then they looked at me. It was pretty embarrassing to say 14...

Anywho

I took my truck in and complained about the shifting when slowing down , steering issues, and assorted uconnect issues. They did the rrt's. Seems good so far. According to the dash I'm seeing 2-3 mpg improvement on my normal drive home. Shifting when slowing quick definitely seemed better.
I'm not sure I'm seeing any MPG improvement yet. Granted I only drove a bit yesterday...

OldSkull

Reaction score
Off topic post here. The last year for the 455 motor was 1976. I had a 76 with the 455 4spd, what a fun car that was. It was heavily modded and got 8-10mpg. Of course I was 17 and I drove it hard. After 76 the biggest TA engine was a 6.6 liter ~403 c.i.
76 was an Awesome year! Mine originally was a 1980 with a 301 Turbo So I rebuilt it as a 1979 455 4 speed.
. I put in a Pontiac 400 and it blew up so We went with the 455. It’s a better engine IMO with lots more torque. Not sure what the MPGs are but I know it’s Single Digits lol.
But I don’t Daily Drive it so I don’t mind gettin 8-10 lol. 64CF46DA-3521-4794-9615-E1C00279FC14.jpeg

Rustydodge

Reaction score

Anywho

I wouldn't put too much stock in what other people say regarding their MPG unless they tell you 2 things and you actually trust them to tell you the truth:
1) They hand calculate and record every trip (fuelly)
2) They have adjusted the speedometer for tire size changes and have confirmed it is correct

EVICs are almost always off. My 2015 ALWAYS is 10% optimistic. My lifetime hand calculated average is 15.0 and my last 10 fillups are 15.5 average, hand calculated (more highway trips recently). But my EVIC is telling me high 16 to 17...and it has never read below 15.

15-15.5 is about exactly what these trucks should get average based on Fuelly. Maybe 16 for etorque. Mileage will also decrease in the winter.

It is possible the 5th gens are actually more accurate / less optimistic.

I'm sorry but I won't believe anyone's stories of a lifted 4th gen with 35" tires getting 20 MPG. Maybe on one trip, going 55, with the wind. A picture of the EVIC is NOT proof they got that mileage either.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Just updated my Fuelly records:

2019 Ram 5.7 AVG = 15.4 (up .3). This is 122 trucks over 370k miles
2019 Ram 5.7 etorque AVG = 15.8 (unchanged). THis is just 24 trucks over 62k miles.

If i had a rebel, I would expect just under the above figures.

I've tracked Ford, GM, and Ram trucks on fuelly for some time. You will typically see the 5.7 increase slightly after 1-2 years. You will also see all years increase slightly in fall, with the cooler air temps.

Futta112

Reaction score
Meh, believe what you want. I was in the drivers seat, you’re at a keyboard.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Meh, believe what you want. I was in the drivers seat, you’re at a keyboard.

Unless you were hand calculating your mileage and adjusting for tire size change you likely were not getting 20 MPG. Could you have gotten 20 MPG in a specific scenario, sure, and cheers if you did!

But lifetime average of 20 MPG with lift and 35" tires? I think not.

15-16 MPG is the lifetime average that should be expected. It is a bell curve, so some truck configurations above and some below, some highway trips above, some city or towing trips below. A little over 18 is the lifetime average for the 3.6.

It does a disservice to other members coming here to answer questions or folks who are trying to get an idea of what MPG to expect on their new truck when folks just say "i got 20 MPG" when in reality 20 MPG on the evic could have been 16 MPG hand calculated, or it was an isolated scenario of their best MPG trip.

2015-2018 Ram 1500 with 5.7 average of 900+ trucks is 15-16 MPG

Futta112

Reaction score
Unless you were hand calculating your mileage and adjusting for tire size change you likely were not getting 20 MPG. Could you have gotten 20 MPG in a specific scenario, sure, and cheers if you did!

But lifetime average of 20 MPG with lift and 35" tires? I think not.

15-16 MPG is the lifetime average that should be expected. It is a bell curve, so some truck configurations above and some below, some highway trips above, some city or towing trips below. A little over 18 is the lifetime average for the 3.6.

It does a disservice to other members coming here to answer questions or folks who are trying to get an idea of what MPG to expect on their new truck when folks just say "i got 20 MPG" when in reality 20 MPG on the evic could have been 16 MPG hand calculated, or it was an isolated scenario of their best MPG trip.

2015-2018 Ram 1500 with 5.7 average of 900+ trucks is 15-16 MPG

The biggest disservice I see, is from FCA. These etourqe engines, you know the ones they went on and on about, have fallen short.

Some on this thread have taken it as a personal insult when talking bad about the new gens. Please don’t. (Not you specifically Rustydodge)

Short of the etourqe being a low performing add on, I still love the truck.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
The biggest disservice I see, is from FCA. These etourqe engines, you know the ones they went on and on about, have fallen short.

Some on this thread have taken it as a personal insult when talking bad about the new gens. Please don’t. (Not you specifically Rustydodge)

Short of the etourqe being a low performing add on, I still love the truck.

Glad that you love the truck. I would be upset if I was getting much under 15 MPG hand calculated with a 5th gen etorque.

FCA's claim was 10% MPG improvement overall, with more advantage in a city driving cycle. Practically no improvement will be seen in real world highway driving at over 55 MPG.

Rebels should not expect the EPA rating, as that configuration isnt rated. They'll see a downside from both the tires and worse aerodynamics.

A realistic lifetime hand calculated MPG average expectation for a 5th gen rebel with etorque IMO would be mid 15 MPG. 17 or so on highway (60-70 MPH) trips, 13 or so in the city.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Anywho

There are clues to poor mileage in your text. If downshifting under quick deceleration is an issue, you might be an agressive driver! I can be aggressive but have porposely changed my style to see what the truck is capable of. City driving is highly variable. The absolute best I've achieved in town was 20.4. That requires coasting and light breaking to stops and keeping RPMs under 2000 at all times. Not fun but the truck will deliver good MPG. The eTourque recovers more energy with coasting and light breaking. Gaining 2-3 mpg from the RRT's is significant. Thats a 20% improvement. The rest probably will come from driving style. I've seen 12mpg in town also...when I was pushing for position in traffic and following closely....running with the pack, so to.speak.

My long term average shows 17.4 on Trip A with 40% city/60% Hwy. It has never been reset. I reset the economy screen often to check my mpg under various conditions. I understand it's not perfectly accurate but it is close and let's me know what I'm doing.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
There are clues to poor mileage in your text. If downshifting under quick deceleration is an issue, you might be an agressive driver! I can be aggressive but have porposely changed my style to see what the truck is capable of. City driving is highly variable. The absolute best I've achieved in town was 20.4. That requires coasting and light breaking to stops and keeping RPMs under 2000 at all times. Not fun but the truck will deliver good MPG. The eTourque recovers more energy with coasting and light breaking. Gaining 2-3 mpg from the RRT's is significant. Thats a 20% improvement. The rest probably will come from driving style. I've seen 12mpg in town also...when I was pushing for position in traffic and following closely....running with the pack, so to.speak.

My long term average shows 17.4 on Trip A with 40% city/60% Hwy. It has never been reset. I reset the economy screen often to check my mpg under various conditions. I understand it's not perfectly accurate but it is close and let's me know what I'm doing.

I'm not typically an agressive driver. My quick braking was referring to just stopping at a poorly timed red light from 60mph in heavy traffic.

16.5 mpg on flat ground, no cruise, state highway at 55mph was the reason for my complaint. This is my normal drive to work. 20 miles each way. We'll see how it goes tonight after the update.

Futta112

Reaction score
I'm not typically an agressive driver. My quick braking was referring to just stopping at a poorly timed red light from 60mph.

16.5 mpg on flat ground, no cruise, state highway at 55mph was the reason for my complaint. This is my normal drive to work. 20 miles each way. We'll see how it goes tonight after the update.

20 miles one way daily for me. Updates happen tomorrow. Hoping for the best.

AMarsh

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear where everyone is getting these numbers too. Mountain driving will be different then flatland driving.

300 miles in and my Rebel reads right at 15.7 outside of Denver, CO. Can get higher on some drives, lower on others depending on where I'm going and the elevation change.

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear where everyone is getting these numbers too. Mountain driving will be different then flatland driving.

300 miles in and my Rebel reads right at 15.7 outside of Denver, CO. Can get higher on some drives, lower on others depending on where I'm going and the elevation change.

I just drove 40 miles, fairly hilly, 65-70mph got 19.7 on EVIC. Not bad for me.

2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn | 5.7L eTorque | 3.92 R.A.R.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
o_Oprice was 1.79 a gallon o_O$2.49 - 85 Octane, $2.65 - 87 Octane here in New England :(

At least tell me that's for 85 Octane...

85 octane?! i would NEVER put regular unleaded in my 2019 Black Beauty...Premium ALL the way! just kidding! it was 85...lol

AMarsh

Reaction score
I just drove 40 miles, fairly hilly, 65-70mph got 19.7 on EVIC. Not bad for me.

2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn | 5.7L eTorque | 3.92 R.A.R.

Sounds like the TSB has helped you quite a bit. What's your MPG since getting it done?

Kidder

Reaction score
Why does everyone think the eTorque is going to help with fuel economy other than the minor assist from the half turn of starting to move from a standstill and start/stop? After that, it's just a Hemi. I haven't had any updates done to my truck since I got it in August. See my fuelly in my signature. It's performing 1 mpg better than my 2011 and I attribute that to my 8-speed vs 5-speed. I like the start/stop in rush hour traffic, personally. And, I also like the eTorque assisted braking that reminds me of my motorcycle and its engine braking characteristics.
I am monitoring this thread and do intend to get the TSBs done for the eTorque at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread