5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some stations (Wawa for instance) make clear that they are not Top-Tier but go on to claim they use a competitive detergent package.

Not sure how true this is...

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
Speaking of Costco - my highway mileage seems to be improving. See trip results:

Attachments

• 59559DC3-9064-46A5-98A7-2FBA9E000F50.jpeg
    59559DC3-9064-46A5-98A7-2FBA9E000F50.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
  • 98C38527-9266-4609-B9AC-E6996E321401.jpeg
    98C38527-9266-4609-B9AC-E6996E321401.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73

slimchance

Reaction score
I generally agree with this. There is one point however: E10 (basically unleaded gas) has up to 10% ethanol. The more ethanol, the worse mileage but also, the cheaper gas. I've never looked to see if the actual percentage of ethanol is listed anywhere but I believe, going to 10% is one way that off brands make gas cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WOW .. IF i follow that line of reasoning, i am REALLY happy with the mpg on MY truck, cause you see, the gas that i used to get the 19 mpg was E15 from Sheetz 88 octane

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
22.9... wow! Is that the same stretch where you saw 17 and 19 before?

No - this is the same interstate in the other direction (heading east). It’s got more hills and I drove the same as I did heading west when I got lesser mileage.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
More hills, so a worse road but better mpg...?

Good deal, CB. I hope you keep us posted.

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
Yeah, I can’t explain that either but I’m hoping it’s a harbinger I can stop watching this thread.

768mph

Reaction score
I do not know the source of your information, but it is statistically incorrect. Fuel starts at the wholesale level as pure regular unleaded fuel refined by different companies. In USA it is generally 10% ethanol 90% unleaded fuel. What make Mobil, Sunoco and others, their brand is the additive pack. So fuel is generally 99.5% unleaded fuel and .5% additive pack which the brand name specifies. All off brand stations have some kind if additive pack in them, just not the one franchised by the major brands. This info is readily available anywhere. This is not to say some particular brand may not work better in your vehicle. These are just the economics of making and delivering fuel. There general reason major brand fuel is more is franchise costs. Think of buying a shirt with a Nike logo and then a generic one. Same shirt, no logo equals cheaper.

https://www.toptiergas.com/

Read. And not my only source of information.
Please post your statistics. Thanks.

And I didn’t specifically mention which brand I use, only brands that are top tier. There are several.

Not sure where your response was headed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bram2019

Reaction score
I do not need to post anything. I know I am correct. The only advantage Top Tier fuel has is, it is certified to have more cleaning chemicals and less possible contaminants than is required by federal law. It meets a standard set by Top Tier. Which is good because it level the playing field for the customer. I would suggest it is a better product on the face of it. You are also assuming all vehicles need it. Thats like saying all stains need clorox, when plain soap will do. Personal driving habits create more problems that anything else. Manufacturers do not require Top Tier for warranty claims as of now. Ford tried to, but failed. Too messy to deal with in the field. If it works for you, buy it. I have no argument.

768mph

Reaction score
I do not need to post anything. I know I am correct. The only advantage Top Tier fuel has is, it is certified to have more cleaning chemicals and less possible contaminants than is required by federal law. It meets a standard set by Top Tier. Which is good because it level the playing field for the customer. I would suggest it is a better product on the face of it. You are also assuming all vehicles need it. Thats like saying all stains need clorox, when plain soap will do. Personal driving habits create more problems that anything else. Manufacturers do not require Top Tier for warranty claims as of now. Ford tried to, but failed. Too messy to deal with in the field. If it works for you, buy it. I have no argument.

I guess that’s your response. Thanks for your input.

I’ll stick to factual information and not “I don’t have to post anything, I know I am correct.”

Have a good day.

768mph

Reaction score
The only thing I'll add is that Top Tier is recommended by FCA in the owners manual.

Exactly.

d5d555602ee3b85b80b2c0277b5f2878.jpg

Last edited:

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
WOW .. IF i follow that line of reasoning, i am REALLY happy with the mpg on MY truck, cause you see, the gas that i used to get the 19 mpg was E15 from Sheetz 88 octane

That's cool. I've never heard of 88 octane. All we have is 87 & 89 (then higher octanes). Maybe it's a happy median and the engines really dig it. Additionally, do you have the 3 RRTs installed on your eTorque 5.7L truck?

2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn | 5.7L eTorque | 3.92 R.A.R.

Ramron

Reaction score
That's cool. I've never heard of 88 octane. All we have is 87 & 89 (then higher octanes). Maybe it's a happy median and the engines really dig it. Additionally, do you have the 3 RRTs installed on your eTorque 5.7L truck?

2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn | 5.7L eTorque | 3.92 R.A.R.
What are RRTs?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
88 octane is usually E15, 15% ethanol. Less MPG per volume than 10% ethanol blend or straight gas.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are RRTs?
Rapid Response Transmitals

These are updates that are performed anytime a vehicle goes in for service. Not exactly a recall but an an enhancement or fix to improve operation or reliability.

The eTorque Hemi has 3 RRT's available that relate to the mild-hybrid system and powertrain. I had mine done and haven't seen any negative affects.

slimchance

Reaction score
88 octane is usually E15, 15% ethanol. Less MPG per volume than 10% ethanol blend or straight gas.

that is exactly the gas i am using ... used the E15 in my tundras past 2 years with good success ... not all Sheetz gas stations have it but most do .. i get the same mpg on the 88 octane and it is 5 cents cheaper ... i drive about 20,000 miles a year so it adds up ... i have NOT had any updates done .. build date 8-18

RamTruckMan

Reaction score

that is exactly the gas i am using ... used the E15 in my tundras past 2 years with good success ... not all Sheetz gas stations have it but most do .. i get the same mpg on the 88 octane and it is 5 cents cheaper ... i drive about 20,000 miles a year so it adds up ... i have NOT had any updates done .. build date 8-18

Thanks for the 88 info, I didn't know that. Interestingly, around me, the 89 is only about 5 ¢ more than 87. Whereas 93 is around 20-23 ¢ more.

Oh, I forgot For build date of 8/18 means your truck is eligible for the RRTs, if you bought it after 12/5, there's a good chance they've already been done

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My understanding is that E10 and E15 are upper targets... which is why the pumps say "up to" 10% ethanol or "up to" 15% ethanol.

In reality, E10 may be nearer 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 %. Similarly for E15.

If you're not seeing a difference, it could be you caught a load of fuel on the low percentage side. But eventually, you will catch a load on the high percentage side and see a definite difference.

slimchance

Reaction score
My understanding is that E10 and E15 are upper targets... which is why the pumps say "up to" 10% ethanol or "up to" 15% ethanol.

In reality, E10 may be nearer 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 %. Similarly for E15.

If you're not seeing a difference, it could be you caught a load of fuel on the low percentage side. But eventually, you will catch a load on the high percentage side and see a definite difference.

based on my mpg, i am not sure i want those 3 updates .. and i have been running E15 for the past 3 years, in both our tundras and now the ram, and the results have always been very good ... guess i am just lucky

Users who are viewing this thread