5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

Bram2019

Reaction score
These are actually RRTs for any etorque built before Oct 1, 2018. These updates became available around 12-4-2018. So any etorque, built before Oct 1. 2018 that comes in will get these updates as they are an RRT not just a service bulletin. A service bulletin usually addresses a complaint. An RRT is done automatically. They will show up when the service writer writes up your vehicle.

Last edited:

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
These are actually RRTs for any etorque built before Oct 1, 2019. These updates became available around 12-4-2019. So any etorque, built before Oct 1. 2019 that comes in will get these updates as they are an RRT not just a service bulletin. A service bulletin usually addresses a complaint. An RRT is done automatically. They will show up when the service writer writes up your vehicle.

Oct 1, 2019 hasn't happened yet.:ROFLMAO:

VdMer

Reaction score
I would find another dealer and go for those TSBs. They all came out in Mid Oct (see below, this was posted earlier or somewhere else). I think my dealer must of either done them at the purchase or the problem simply never existed. I am getting about mid15s-16 on a heavy city and 21 HWY and I just crossed 1k miles. On all out HWY around 70-75 (I don't go 85+ like some here do), I am at around 21 +/- mpgs.

21-050-18 Flash: Transmission Control Module (TCM) Updates - https://www.dropbox.com/s/azokvgx8wp...dates.pdf?dl=0

18-077-18 Flash: Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Updates https://www.dropbox.com/s/zral3epbzc...dates.pdf?dl=0

08-139-18 Flash: Hybrid Control Processor (HCP) Updates: https://www.dropbox.com/s/303enodjiy...dates.pdf?dl=0

JHowellAK

Reaction score
When did these TSBs roll out? 23 is unbelievably good!
Unknown on the delivery date. My service tech said that i was throwing no faults or codes, but updated anyway. I told him if there is an update, it needs to be on there. He had already put it on, but the attitude of "if there arent any faults dont fix it" is incorrect with rolling computers (IT Guy here).

Bram2019

Reaction score
Unknown on the delivery date. My service tech said that i was throwing no faults or codes, but updated anyway. I told him if there is an update, it needs to be on there. He had already put it on, but the attitude of "if there arent any faults dont fix it" is incorrect with rolling computers (IT Guy here).
No, you are totally incorrect. If the vehicle has an RRT, it gets done automatically. It is mandated by FCA to do it. If there is no RRT on the vehicle, but only a service bulletin and the customer complaint is not addressed by the service bulletin, FCA will not pay the dealer to do the update even if the update shows up in the witech screen. And sometimes an update can create other problems. I know this sounds backwards to you but this is a fact. The tech is doing what he is told by FCA. I always believed updates should be done. But if FCA won't pay for it, then who does.
As far as updates causing unwanted problems, I can quote you multiple times where an update fixed one issue and then the customer complained later of an undesired side effect after the update.

upstateram

Reaction score
No, you are totally incorrect. If the vehicle has an RRT, it gets done automatically. It is mandated by FCA to do it. If there is no RRT on the vehicle, but only a service bulletin and the customer complaint is not addressed by the service bulletin, FCA will not pay the dealer to do the update even if the update shows up in the witech screen. And sometimes an update can create other problems. I know this sounds backwards to you but this is a fact. The tech is doing what he is told by FCA. I always believed updates should be done. But if FCA won't pay for it, then who does.
As far as updates causing unwanted problems, I can quote you multiple times where an update fixed one issue and then the customer complained later of an undesired side effect after the update.

It seems, then, that the dealer is mandated by FCA to apply any outstanding RRTs as long as the vehicle is in their garage for service? My concern is that these RRTs have been out there for a little while now and I had to sign onto a 3rd party web forum (here) to learn about it. Shouldn't these RRTs be treated like recalls? Shouldn't I get a postcard or something? If I hadn't learned about these RRTs from this website, I'd probably just be rolling along with the issues unfixed forever as I got my truck's routine maintenance done at a more convenient location (the local auto mechanic in my town that I trust). That is, unless the local mechanic would be able to detect the need for the RRTs using their equipment as well.

As a new Ram owner, and as someone who has never owned a vehicle this high-tech, can someone opine on how best to handle my vehicle's maintenance going forward?

JHowellAK

Reaction score

Your post doesn't seem to make much sense to me. RRT gets done automatically, but if it is within a service bulletin it doesnt?

Baseline configuration updates to computer systems need to be applied. My truck for instance was created before the RRTs were established and disseminated. When i come to a dealership for an oil change or ther service, my truck should get it's "OS service pack" if you will.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would a non etorque Hemi Rebel built in July have RRT's that need to be applied? Any about low mileage?

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took delivery of my truck (w/ etourque) on Saturday. I'm at a dealer for servicing of various issues today. I had them look at the RRTs and TSBs for my VIN and all on point for my truck were applied prior to today. Including the etourque related updates. I only have 120 miles on the truck and so far the electronic panel shows average 13.1 MPG. I think it is still too early for me to jump to conclusions yet due to the low mileage.

JHowellAK

Reaction score
I took delivery of my truck (w/ etourque) on Saturday. I'm at a dealer for servicing of various issues today. I had them look at the RRTs and TSBs for my VIN and all on point for my truck were applied prior to today. Including the etourque related updates. I only have 120 miles on the truck and so far the electronic panel shows average 13.1 MPG. I think it is still too early for me to jump to conclusions yet due to the low mileage.
Start driving on a road with no stops and reset the trip. see how it does over a constant speed with no lights to establish a kind of baseline.

Bram2019

Reaction score
Your post doesn't seem to make much sense to me. RRT gets done automatically, but if it is within a service bulletin it doesnt?

Baseline configuration updates to computer systems need to be applied. My truck for instance was created before the RRTs were established and disseminated. When i come to a dealership for an oil change or ther service, my truck should get it's "OS service pack" if you will.
A service bulletin is not an RRT. But sometimes a service bulletin will turn into an RRT, just for customer satifaction. If a customer comes in for service of any kind, an RRT or recall is done automatically as long as the customer has the time to do it or he is rescheduled. Service bulletins address specific complaints usually within certain build dates. If you think I am incorrect, send a PM to Ramcares on this site.

RPeezy

Reaction score

Microsoft/Citrix does the same thing. Some things get updated automatically, other updates are intended to fix a specific issue that not everyone experiences. For those, you have to go download that update, or in some cases, submit a request for it.

Probably not a good comparison, really, since they have much less control over what goes in their systems than an auto manufacturer does. Trucks are pretty homogeneous. But maybe the issue is the result of a specific batch of product from a specific supplier. Who knows.

Bram2019

Reaction score
Would a non etorque Hemi Rebel built in July have RRT's that need to be applied? Any about low mileage?
I do not know if there are any RRTs for non etorque. You can check the service bulletins here. I doubt any address MPG. Or call your dealer.

Bram2019

Reaction score
Microsoft/Citrix does the same thing. Some things get updated automatically, other updates are intended to fix a specific issue that not everyone experiences. For those, you have to go download that update, or in some cases, submit a request for it.

Probably not a good comparison, really, since they have much less control over what goes in their systems than an auto manufacturer does. Trucks are pretty homogeneous. But maybe the issue is the result of a specific batch of product from a specific supplier. Who knows.
It is not really availabilty of a software update. That is right there in front of the techs face on his computer screen. If you try to apply an update, the computer asks the tech why he is doing it, and then he can apply the update. Then the claim is submitted and FCA decides if they will pay it. The original order has the complaint on it and the update need to address the complaint or they won't pay for it. Pretty crazy. Unless something has changed in the last year or so, that is the policy. And my understanding it will only get worse. Think of it this way. If FCA has 5 million vehicles out there and every tech updates the software and FCA has to pay the bill, that is big trouble. I am sure that is 1 reason why they went to OTA updates on Uconnect systems. If they find a way to do OTA updates on the complete vehicle, they will. Just ask the bean counters.

RPeezy

Reaction score
It is not really availabilty of a software update. That is right there in front of the techs face on his computer screen. If you try to apply an update, the computer asks the tech why he is doing it, and then he can apply the update. Then the claim is submitted and FCA decides if they will pay it. The original order has the complaint on it and the update need to address the complaint or they won't pay for it. Pretty crazy. Unless something has changed in the last year or so, that is the policy. And my understanding it will only get worse. Think of it this way. If FCA has 5 million vehicles out there and every tech updates the software and FCA has to pay the bill, that is big trouble. I am sure that is 1 reason why they went to OTA updates on Uconnect systems. If they find a way to do OTA updates on the complete vehicle, they will. Just ask the bean counters.

Yeah, my post was more in regard to TSBs not getting applied to everyone.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of the issues I see with comparing Fuelly numbers between 2018 & 2019 is that there are so many more samples and miles allocated to 2018. Most of those trucks have already been through their break-in. The 2019 data has fewer miles driven and many more trucks that are just beginning to log miles.

If you want to look at this in computer terms, many of the TSBs would be representative of 'hotfixes'. They're targeted at your specific issue. They may be rolled into a RRT at some point, but providing them to users that aren't having the specific issue could cause unintended consequences.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread