5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
2 main things jump out at me there.

1. You’re on 2-lanes which probably means you’re in that sweet spot of 55-65mph that will always net higher MPG and of course highway is better than city.

2. A tradesman is much lighter than a Rebel and of course the Rebel has larger and heavier tires.
^^^ This ^^^
My Limited can easily get 22-23 MPG if I keep it @ 55-60 MPH BTW.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

1. You’re on 2-lanes which probably means you’re in that sweet spot of 55-65mph that will always net higher MPG and of course highway is better than city.

2. A tradesman is much lighter than a Rebel and of course the Rebel has larger and heavier tires.
...and the Rebel sits up higher.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You're correct.....55 to 65 most of the time. I don't drive fast.....65 even on the highway most of the time. I am retired...not in a hurry....like to see the scenery. Really glad I got the Tradesman......great truck.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
How many miles do you have on it?
1200 maybe? Too new to tell, plus it's winter in NY so they rip us off with "winter blend" fuel which is really just watered down fuel. Add to that the BS Ethanol additives that reduce MPG by 10% or more and you can see how they're draining every penny they can from you.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, give it some time. My MPG improved at around 5K which is also when I had my first full synthetic oil change. Winter formulation gas is horrible for mileage. Gotta' get those gas tax dollars somehow. :devilish:

SacRebel

Reaction score
After 8,000 miles I got the best mileage yet during a 1,200 mile road trip.. 14.7 mpg based on hand calculation. I was driving 70-80 mph most of the time.

yifa

Reaction score
I bought my rebel few weeks ago. V8 with etorque I’m only getting 12-13mpg I live in south Florida the weather here always hot.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Around 25000 miles on mine now. I've gotten as high as 22 mpg on one of my trips from Florida to Michigan or back. I can't remember at this point. In the 9's towing and now with the stinking cold in Michigan and all the warm up idling it's showing 14.7 on the LOM (lie-o-meter).

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2 things that don’t make sense, and will never make sense for all you new 5.7L owners just joining the forum...HEMI and Fuel Economy...UNICORN

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2 things that don’t make sense, and will never make sense for all you new 5.7L owners just joining the forum...HEMI and Fuel Economy...UNICORN
I get much better mpg with this truck than the F150 Ecoboost I had previously. I'm quite satisfied with what I'm getting. It is the best mpg vehicle I own. ;)

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just don't agree......I have 2000 miles on my truck....love the hemi....love the mileage. If mileage gets better over time like some suggest......I will be even happier. Consistent 20+mpg......that thing got a hemi?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just don't agree......I have 2000 miles on my truck....love the hemi....love the mileage. If mileage gets better over time like some suggest......I will be even happier. Consistent 20+mpg......that thing got a hemi?
I get 20mpg as well with my Pulsar set to Performance on the highway, 14-15 city, 13 if you throw in a bunch of hills, and less than that if you tow a 24 ft boat like mine (real world numbers for those whom are truly interested). My point was...don't bit** about the mpg because its a HEMI. Never gonna get what the sticker says...and my truck has 22,000 miles

Last edited:

Tusch

Reaction score
I have to agree with HelliPilot, who buys a truck for good gas mileage??

I added CAI, Cat Back Exhaust and PedalMax to help the Hemi breath, not for better gas millage.
I was missing the torque I had with my 3.5L Ford Eco-Boost. These mods definitely closed that gap and some on the higher end. (never looking back)

I burn 92 octane and average around 16mpg. (good mix of city/hwy) I don’t closely monitor gas mileage, I’d never enjoy driving if I did...

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get 20mpg as well with my Pulsar set to Performance on the highway, 14-15 city, 13 if you throw in a bunch of hills, and less than that if you tow a 24 ft boat like mine (real world numbers for those whom are truly interested). My point was...don't bit** about the mpg because its a HEMI. Never gonna get what the sticker says...and my truck has 22,000 miles

I do get what the sticker says....now I admit....I don't have a heavy foot and have no desire to drive 70/80 mph but to each their own. I will pull a small travel trailer with this rig....haven't done it yet....we'll see next Spring. Love the truck so far.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to agree with HelliPilot, who buys a truck for good gas mileage??

I added CAI, Cat Back Exhaust and PedalMax to help the Hemi breath, not for better gas millage.
I was missing the torque I had with my 3.5L Ford Eco-Boost. These mods definitely closed that gap and some on the higher end. (never looking back)

I burn 92 octane and average around 16mpg. (good mix of city/hwy) I don’t closely monitor gas mileage, I’d never enjoy driving if I did...

I agree.....I bought my truck to enjoy it.....I like the mileage and the truck. I would like the truck even if mileage was less.....it isn't so I get a added bonus. Enjoy your trucks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread