5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honestly - who has changed there mind on the appearance of the 5th gen ram!

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
i for one thought the appearance was a "good "looking truck from the get go. now after 4-5 months my opinion is it is a "great" looking truck.
there definitely was some backlash at the beginning- what was your original opinion, and has it changed?

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
Thought it was great then and still great. I like it more than the other Gens.

Boatjockey

Reaction score
Thought it was great then and still great. I like it more than the other Gens.
I like it better than the previous generations. One review on YouTube compared the Ram with the F150 and said that the Ford looks tougher like it could beat up the Ram and take its' lunch money but the Ram looks more luxurious and stylish. That was just the exterior. As far as most people are concerned, the Ram interior is the best of any current pick up. I totally agree.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i for one thought the appearance was a "good "looking truck from the get go. now after 4-5 months my opinion is it is a "great" looking truck.
there definitely was some backlash at the beginning- what was your original opinion, and has it changed?
In my "Driving Impressions" post back in June, I wrote about this. The first time I saw a 2019 Ram, it was at the Dallas Auto Show. I liked the 'old' truck, so the new exterior didn't immediately give me a strong positive or negative impression (unlike the interior). I did appreciate the design direction, though, and I loved many other features of the truck. We ultimately ordered a 2019 Laramie Longhorn over the F-150 Limited and GMC Sierra Denali.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
we definitely have 2 different styles (laramie and limited) longhorn guys chirp in. im defiantly a laramie guy due to the sport hood and NOT wanting the air suspension. my preference is the laramie sport hood. and the lack of chrome on the limited. to each there own !!!!(y)(y)

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to chime in on behalf of the Rebel crew... best front end redesign hands down of the 5th Gen trims.

Saw the redesigned Rebel just as my 16' Rebel started it's air ride nightmare and never looked back. I loved that 16' like no other truck I've owned and if it hadn't been for that air ride defect, I would still be happy with it today... except the new front end. Always thought the 4th Gen Rebel looked like a bolt-on afterthought, a gimmik to see where interest might lead... to the awesome 5th Gen design!

Well, if it wasn't obvious, I am a HUGE fan of the direction the 5th Gen looks have gone, inside and out.

Ramajama

Reaction score
There might not be a bigger fan of the 4th gen styling than me. ;) But even the 4th gen took about a year to really catch my attention. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks and I was enamored. However, I loved the 5th gen from the get go. It really dates the old truck and keeps RAM as the undisputed best looking truck on the road.
The Rebel is also an awesome looking truck in its own right. I like it even better than the regular RAMs in any trim level. So cool that RAM did what they did.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen it a lot. Especially with this website being up since December, first sharing spy photos end even the photos from the revealing on facebook and instagram there were a ton of negative replies. The funny thing now is most of the same people keep talking about how good looking it is. Redesigns always seem to take a little bit to grow on the die hards. Personally I liked it out of the gate and think it made the 4th gens look dated. I was also thought the 4th Gen was the best looking truck in it's day.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing as handsome as a slightly lifted 4th Gen Sport with some nice rims and tires, one of the coolest trucks in the last 5 years. But I agree, the new lines, grills and headlights date the 4th Gen and really speak to the amount of thought put into all the trim levels.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Oh man I might be the only one that thought the RAM looked ugly back when I first see photos beginning of the year, especially with all that chrome on the front end.

But it's definitely grown on me, I actually think I like it the limited with chrome the most out of all the versions now haha

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everything that looked good on the 4th Gens looks Great on the 5th Gen.

Everything that was ugly on the 4th Gen is Great looking on the 5th Gen.

I am not a fan of chrome, but the 5th Gen even makes that look good.

The sport hood is by far the best looking hood of all time.

I was a fan of the new grilles on the 4th Gen and like @Ramajama said they just made the Rebels Beard look even better.

I have pics of my 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen, and 4th gen on here in those sections. I love them all...but the 5th Gen just looks so much more complete than all of them.

Can't wait to see the finished 5th Gen HD...the Powerwagon is gonna look great.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The old designs were something that were never attractive to me personally. I was very happy to see the new front and I'd say the 3 biggest draws that led me to consider the new RAM were 1) improved leg room in backseat (this was actually huge to me) 2) air suspension, and 3) the sweet redesign

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I first seen it on the road, I thought, damn, they made it look like every other truck. I couldn't tell a difference between the Ram, GMC or Toyota and there was no reason to trade in my 14. A couple months went by, I kept seeing pictures and I fell in love with the interior. Enough so that it made me take a few after-hour visits to local dealers and then the front end started to grow on me. I would look then look at my truck and think, man, that front end is outdated. LOL So here I am today with a 19. The new and improved ride, even though last gen was great does live up to the hype and the interior is second to none.

EddieB

Reaction score
IMO. They did an excellent job on the redesign. One suggestion though for FCA.. Lose the Hemi badging on the side of the hood. You stole that from Ford. It really looks like you forced it and could have done a better job with placing it somewhere along the side of the body/bed. Be original and become a pioneer in your design, not a copy cat.

Sorry folks, owning a RAM in Texas is hard in Ford country.

Nj921

Reaction score
Best looking truck on the road by far. The first time I saw it I was a little disgusted by the front end, mainly because Im not a fan of the full chrome, it looks like a denali to me. Then when I saw them without the obnoxious flashy front end I was relieved. The only thing I would change, is completely eliminate the narrow headlights that have the chrome grill cut into them.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO. They did an excellent job on the redesign. One suggestion though for FCA.. Lose the Hemi badging on the side of the hood. You stole that from Ford. It really looks like you forced it and could have done a better job with placing it somewhere along the side of the body/bed.

Not on the sport hood! ;)

Rustydodge

Reaction score
IMO. They did an excellent job on the redesign. One suggestion though for FCA.. Lose the Hemi badging on the side of the hood. You stole that from Ford. It really looks like you forced it and could have done a better job with placing it somewhere along the side of the body/bed. Be original and become a pioneer in your design, not a copy cat.

For some reason i'm drawing a blank on any Ford hood that has engine labels on it? Could you enlighten? I know the Duramax HD's did. Thought Ford had everything on the sides.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score

I guess to each their own, I really love the Hemi stamping on the hood :)

Users who are viewing this thread