5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honestly - who has changed there mind on the appearance of the 5th gen ram!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I loved the 2019 redesign from the time I first saw the unveiling. Still loving it.
Had two RAMs before, but the new style is miles better in my opinion.

John813

Reaction score
I admit I wasn't a fan early on. Obviously that has changed since then.

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
i for one thought the appearance was a "good "looking truck from the get go. now after 4-5 months my opinion is it is a "great" looking truck.
there definitely was some backlash at the beginning- what was your original opinion, and has it changed?

I liked it from day one. Reason I bought it. I get allot of comments on it. Today stopped to get some techron fuel system clean at my local Advance Auto and had 2 comments from the employees. Most people comment on how they like the grill.

Socks

Reaction score
After viewing many pictures, I'm beginning to think the exterior of the lower end trims are a bit dull but the Laramie's and above are so darn sexy. Though, I liked it from day 1.

As for interior. Last year I would have said Ford is #1 with their nice materials and options, then GM, then Ram, then Toyota because there interior is from the 90s. But now Ram is a huge step above ford and the rest are still in the same order.

I am a little annoyed with GM. They totally changed the exterior, love it or hate it. It's a futuristic look, but the interior is literally identical but some subtle differences. They really dropped the ball. I feel like the next gen F150 'is' going to be something grand, because of what Ram has done.

Socks

Reaction score
Also, just watched this video. Had to redownload YouTube because I hate ads but wanted to share the hyperlink. They literally have the same impressions of the Big 3 as I do... no toyota in the comparison. Also, I'm glad they chose mid-level comparisons as that's financially where I am at Laramie, Lariat and Z71.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll chime in on the Longhorn. I really liked the ‘19’s from the first time I saw one. Was somewhat thinking of trading my 2010 Ram 3500 with only 50,000 miles for a half ton but was in no hurry. Was actually thinking f-150. The second I saw the ‘19 Ram for the first time I was in the ‘got to have it’ mode and started the research. First started with the Laramie and by the time I loaded it up I was well north of 60k. Looked at the Limited but I wanted two tone paint and did not want the air suspension so Longhorn it was! IMO I also liked the dual headlights on the Limited and Longhorn’s. Just my opinions, love the truck, glad I went with it.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess to each their own, I really love the Hemi stamping on the hood :)

I'm sort of ambivalent about the hood badges... But I absolutely hated the giant PLATINUM badge on the back of my F150. I thought it was gaudy and dumb. The hood badges are reasonably sized and tasteful.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The redesign was why I finally bought a Ram. The interior was the icing on the cake.

The hood emblem is very cool. IMG_9234.jpg

Ramajama

Reaction score
IMO. They did an excellent job on the redesign. One suggestion though for FCA.. Lose the Hemi badging on the side of the hood. You stole that from Ford. It really looks like you forced it and could have done a better job with placing it somewhere along the side of the body/bed. Be original and become a pioneer in your design, not a copy cat.

Sorry folks, owning a RAM in Texas is hard in Ford country.

UHHH...OK? LOL

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Haven't changed my mind, thought it looked fantastic inside and out when they unveiled it, still think the same.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
I honestly disliked them greatly when they first released images in January, they grew on me greatly (obviously) over the course of the following months. I'm still not completely sold on the slim headlights on the Laramies but I don't dislike the slim headlights either.

Attachments

• IMG_4540.JPG
    IMG_4540.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 31

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think a front end update on the 4th gen sheet metal would be my favorite, but the interior and tech upgrades on 5th gen easily sold me hence the order.
Obviously I've abandoned any thoughts of a "summer truck" so when my "fall truck" gets built and delivered I'll proudly drive it everywhere.

Vesperia2012

Reaction score
I just traded in my 2013 F150 two weeks ago for a 1500 Bighorn. Ram was actually the last brand I looked at, and I only did so because a Co worker recommended I take a look. Boy what a mistake it would've been to overlook this truck. Best easily. I originally was going in to look at the 2018s but I glanced over at the 19s and the redesign and that was it. I was sucked in. Absolutely beautiful truck! Just wish I wouldve gotten the LED package, oh well, I'll have to replace them.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i for one thought the appearance was a "good "looking truck from the get go. now after 4-5 months my opinion is it is a "great" looking truck.
there definitely was some backlash at the beginning- what was your original opinion, and has it changed?

I was always a fan of the latest 4th gen Rams, especially (a) the muscular, subtly-curved "character line" above the fenders in the side-view, (b) the Laramie grille, and (c) in the front-quarter view, the combination of the Laramie grille and that muscular character line. Perhaps the 4th gen is now looking dated alongside the new 5th gen 2019 1500, but the old 4th gen Ram is still massively better looking than the 2018 F-series or the 2018 Chevy/GMC twins.

At first I was put off by the 5th gen "DT" platform's styling overall, simply because the side view sheet-metal is so "androgynous" looking compared to the muscular look of the 4th gen Rams. It's like the 2019 1500 pulled its pants up too high...also, there is not enough muscular character to the new sheet-metal, IMO. The 5th gen grilles are definitely growing on me, I really love their completely integrated look and the variety of grille styles, but I'm still not thrilled with the comparatively wimpy looking sheet-metal on the sides.

WRT the 2019 Chevy Silverado, there is a lot I like about its new styling, a huge improvement over Chevy's previous generation, cartoonish-looking Silverado, but I don't care much for the 2019 GMC Sierra's new styling.

WRT the current "midcycle refreshed" F-series, pardon my barf. Slab-sided, creases in the sheet-metal instead of curves, and that grille is an unimaginative, rectilinear jumble - no style there whatsoever - like it's trying to compensate for something. Every time I see a current-generation F-series on the road, it makes my eyes burn, and I want to run to my nearest Ram dealership and let the cool styling of the Rams rejuvenate my eyeballs ;-)

All that said, nothing is going to stop me from buying a 2019 1500, either a Longhorn or a Limited, when the time is right. The exterior overall is definitely growing on me, and as many have stated above, the 2019 1500's interior is an absolute grand-slam in the current pickup truck market.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After owning the truck for almost a month now I am liking it more and more, however I think they should have made the metal inserts on the door entry either embossed with Ram or something, that is the only part of the truck that I have found to be missing a little more attention to detail or styling.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everything that looked good on the 4th Gens looks Great on the 5th Gen.

Everything that was ugly on the 4th Gen is Great looking on the 5th Gen.

I am not a fan of chrome, but the 5th Gen even makes that look good.

The sport hood is by far the best looking hood of all time.

I was a fan of the new grilles on the 4th Gen and like @Ramajama said they just made the Rebels Beard look even better.

I have pics of my 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen, and 4th gen on here in those sections. I love them all...but the 5th Gen just looks so much more complete than all of them.

Can't wait to see the finished 5th Gen HD...the Powerwagon is gonna look great.
I was correct...the Powerwagon looks great. I definitely like the new HD also.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I may be a minority here.....but I love all the chrome. The thing I really liked about the 5th gen was that it reminded me of an "old school" classic truck (chrome and all). Some trucks today are getting spaceship designs (Chevy) or have silly looking grills that look like a belt and buckle across the front (Ford). Oh, an that ugly cut out on the driver and passenger door/windows...not for me. Then you have one truck that just looks like it is old and tired (Toyota) and another that engineers must have designed with their eyes closed or something (Nissan). The 5th gen just has this nice clean, smooth, look to it; while maintaining a little bit of that muscle image. If anything; I like the appearance of the 5th gen more now than I did when I first saw it. But, I have always been a MOPAR fan; so I am biased.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
y'all just ain't whistling Dixie... I think i was the BIGGEST Hater of the new design....

came around.png

honestly, i N-E-V-E-R thought i could love a "stock RAM" so much, for ME to not want to change one thing, you best believe they "knocked it out of the park! : ) With all my other RAMS, i couldn't even bring myself to take pictures of them UNTIL they were leveled, lifted, new wheels, changed tires, debadged ETC!

Users who are viewing this thread