5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Garage Parking Suggestions

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Here is my story. I have a regular garage doors (not wide ones) with 250 square space for the truck. And I park it in the garage every day - in and out.
1. Fold the mirrors
2. Park inside straight (there are few inches on its side with folded mirrors - looks scary from the outside, but fine from the inside)
3. Turn on backup camera, and go forward until a mark on the screen matches with the edge of the garage floor (mnemonic rule). It also shows me if I'm really centered in the garage and there is enough space on the left and on the right. Front parking assist sensors scream when I park since it is really close to garage door jabs, but that is OK.

So leave tennis ball to newbies on Priuses and use mnemonic rules to park your truck like a Pro :)

SJC5

Reaction score
I also have a standard garage and 5’7” bed. I have about 7” to spare. I have the ball hanging and when it moves I have about 1” to a concrete wall. I also bought some pool “noodles” and have them standing up in front. When they move that is it. But I have to say tons of great ideas on this thread. I like the idea of using the backup camera to see a mark on the floor. Also I just ordered a $6 garage vehicle bumper too. Will put on floor to prevent an oops.

Attachments

• 0E09E77A-3D54-45F8-B132-5F234EF91ECD.jpeg
    0E09E77A-3D54-45F8-B132-5F234EF91ECD.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 37

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here is my story. I have a regular garage doors (not wide ones) with 250 square space for the truck. And I park it in the garage every day - in and out.
1. Fold the mirrors
2. Park inside straight (there are few inches on its side with folded mirrors - looks scary from the outside, but fine from the inside)
3. Turn on backup camera, and go forward until a mark on the screen matches with the edge of the garage floor (mnemonic rule). It also shows me if I'm really centered in the garage and there is enough space on the left and on the right. Front parking assist sensors scream when I park since it is really close to garage door jabs, but that is OK.

So leave tennis ball to newbies on Priuses and use mnemonic rules to park your truck like a Pro :)
Here’s my mnemomic:
D - drive
I - in
P - partly
S - sneak up
H - hit the foam
I - inch closer
T - turn off

Last edited by a moderator:

Triman11427

Reaction score
The bay I use in the garage is where the door into the house is located. I like to back into the garage and if I'm a bit off, the bed of my truck will cover half of the door, making a quick exit from the house pretty treacherous. Parking has become an exercise in skills and patience. I have combined the excellent suggestions on this thread to minimize my stress when parking. I have lines on both the floor and wall which are perfectly aligned along with a center cross to the backup camera indicators. I also have a "park rite bumper" which is gorilla taped to the floor which captures my tire assuring I am within 1"-2" of the rear wall behind the bed. Tennis balls and lasers are not practical in my particular situation. It's been a painstaking ;) labor of love.

eulachliko

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know about the damn tennis ball trick. It really sounds great. But does it work out for all of you guys? I just cannot believe this simple trick work that well, actually. I'll try it myself as soon as I get home. If it doesn't work, you owe me, dude! The last time I tried a similar trick, I broke the damn garage door. Thankfully the guys from https://www.easyfixnashville.com/ were working that Sunday, and they fixed it quickly. It was close because I could have got killed by my dad!

Last edited:

yup ram

Reaction score
Glad to see I'm not the only one squeezing my truck into the garage. I dont have my truck yet, but the two i test drove both indicated i had roughly 2-3" of clearance front to back. 😬 The work bench i built into my garage (years before even considering buying a truck) took up about 20" of that clearance unfortunately.

For those that back into a tight squeeze, do you utilize your remote start? Though its a tedious fit, my main concern is the potential fire hazard during the winter months. Wondering if anyone has any stories in regards to that, good or bad.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use the sensors on the truck. Once it hits the 2nd line I'm good and know there is 3ft in front of my truck and 2ft behind it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 4 car garage works decent. Have to park the Ram in the double deep side with my Dakota in front. Have my 66 D100 middle and wife's Traverse on other side. If it wasn't for the garage fridge and freezer would be able to park Ram in middle. Have probably 2' clearance total for the Ram. I have a broom hanging on the wall I use as a reference for when to stop. Which gives me about 15" between the Dakota and Rams front bumpers, and 6" between rear bumper and garage door.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to see I'm not the only one squeezing my truck into the garage. I dont have my truck yet, but the two i test drove both indicated i had roughly 2-3" of clearance front to back. 😬 The work bench i built into my garage (years before even considering buying a truck) took up about 20" of that clearance unfortunately.

For those that back into a tight squeeze, do you utilize your remote start? Though its a tedious fit, my main concern is the potential fire hazard during the winter months. Wondering if anyone has any stories in regards to that, good or bad.
Why would you remote start inside your garage? Evans before I installed my garage heater, it stayed warm enough to not need to remote start truck.

yup ram

Reaction score
Why would you remote start inside your garage? Evans before I installed my garage heater, it stayed warm enough to not need to remote start truck.
My garage isn't heated and I live in Michigan. Also, it doesn't fall into the "warm enough" category through the winter months and remote start is definitely necessary. Its not like the windows need defrosting or anything, but our vehicles are uncomfortably cold come morning time.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know about the damn tennis ball trick. It really sounds great. But does it really work out for all of you guys?
As long as you have it up right and then you actually stop as soon as the ball touches the window. I don’t do the ball trick and I’ve bumped the back wall a few times! Might end up in the master bath someday🤣

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My garage isn't heated and I live in Michigan. Also, it doesn't fall into the "warm enough" category through the winter months and remote start is definitely necessary. Its not like the windows need defrosting or anything, but our vehicles are uncomfortably cold come morning time.
I hope your garage door is open during your remote start.....

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My garage isn't heated either (I'm in NW Ohio) but I don't remote start it in the garage. It's not 'warm' but it heats up quickly enough when it's not sitting outside in the elements.

If you're backing in, I wouldn't worry too much about fire hazard, but I would be concerned about possible carbon monoxide buildup in a confined space (even with the door open, especially if you have a second story above the garage) and more than that- moisture/rust on your tools and stuff from the exhaust water vapor.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tennis balls work and are cheap but you bump into them when working in the garage.

Parking Mats work but if they get kicked or moved then there goes another sheet of sheetrock.

Once you get them dialed in Laser Pointers are the best.

I have my laser powered by the 120v incandescent light bulb installed on the door opener.

I bought an adapter that has a plug on the light bulb adapter so you can have a 120v outlet.

Then the laser is only on when the automatic garage light is on.

Users who are viewing this thread