5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Garage Parking Suggestions

My father has a laser mounted above that shines through the windshield onto a spot on his dash which he has memorized as his stopping point. Seems like a great idea, though probably a superfluous one for his situation. in spite of his truck being a 2500 Mega Cab, he has at least 4 feet in front and 8 feet in back of his truck when he stops in his pull through garage. Funny to watch him creep forward and then spike the brake when the laser hits that oh so perfect spot.

Sounds like your biggest issue is the width only having 3-4 inches on either side without a straight shot into the garage can make it pretty challenging. I'm guessing you door is 8' wide, mine is 9' wide and I can get through without folding the mirrors but I don't have a straight shot either and I still have to be careful.

Sounds like your biggest issue is the width only having 3-4 inches on either side without a straight shot into the garage can make it pretty challenging. I'm guessing you door is 8' wide, mine is 9' wide and I can get through without folding the mirrors but I don't have a straight shot either and I still have to be careful.
That's correct on all counts. Narrow door opening and I have to maneuver in a limited space to make a right turn into the bay. Challenging but not impossible. Just trying to make it a bit more predictable. I'm sure over time I'll develop a technique but right now it's a bit stressful.

I like this idea but not sure how long you made these “lines”. Could you post a picture? Thanks
Can't take a picture for a couple days, but basically the tape lines are from front tire all the way to the back tire with about an extra foot at either end. They're only for lining up the truck while backing, and the length is really not critical. When the time comes to replace the tape lines, I'll space them away from the trucka bit so they'll be more visible in the 360* camera view while backing, kinda like the lines in a parking lot.

Steve

I use the surround camera as I only have 2 inches front and rear extra as well.
I actually got light grey paint and painted guidelines on the driveway to line my truck up. Then I painted guidelines in the garage as well. I use my rear camera and I know that I need to see the door track on the left of the screen and then I’m good. I have the tennis ball for safety but I don’t use it. I’ve gotten use to the lines and using the rear camera 2ED92C78-09A7-4573-91A8-9D426E0AE755.jpeg

I've complained about the garages and driveways of new homes for years. There are so many SUVs and trucks in America, and the builders give you a garage that they barely fit in, if they fit at all.

Every home I look at, I visit the garage to make sure the door isn't blocked, or there's no water heater in front of the truck, etc. Think about this, a 3 car garage, two car standard depth and the 3rd car is recessed 1 foot. So, the truck doesn't fit in the short bay, the entrance to the house is centered at the middle bay and the water heater takes up 2' on the last bay. This garage is a waste!

Then they started with zero lot lines with a 30' setback from the street. That leaves you with a 20' setback from the sidewalk. A 19' crew cab truck doesn't fit in this space unless you pull right up to the garage door. We all know that bumpers hanging over the sidewalk is illegal, right?

I've complained about the garages and driveways of new homes for years. There are so many SUVs and trucks in America, and the builders give you a garage that they barely fit in, if they fit at all.

Every home I look at, I visit the garage to make sure the door isn't blocked, or there's no water heater in front of the truck, etc. Think about this, a 3 car garage, two car standard depth and the 3rd car is recessed 1 foot. So, the truck doesn't fit in the short bay, the entrance to the house is centered at the middle bay and the water heater takes up 2' on the last bay. This garage is a waste!

Then they started with zero lot lines with a 30' setback from the street. That leaves you with a 20' setback from the sidewalk. A 19' crew cab truck doesn't fit in this space unless you pull right up to the garage door. We all know that bumpers hanging over the sidewalk is illegal, right?
This is similar to how my garage is set up, minus the water heater. I park on the right side of the double bay, and the wife's Jeep is on the left. The 3rd bay is to the left of the double bay and is my work area, so I've got a bench and cabinets installed and no vehicle is fitting over there. Luckily, the door to the inside of the house is centered on the 2 bay portion and lines up directly between the vehicles. I have a short section of 2x4 glued to the floor in each bay so that we know each vehicle is clear of the garage door closing, and I left enough room for me to clear if the draw-bar is installed in the hitch. Just enough room to walk around the front of the truck, and enough room for the trash cans and to walk in front of the Jeep. I think I've only tripped over the boards once or twice in 8 years. Tried the tennis ball thing at first, but when young kids are around it turns into a toy and end up getting ripped down.

Backup camera, always park in the same spot where the red lines are.

Yup I have a newer house and my truck does not fit. I have not been able to put any of my vehicles in the garage for 10 years. My wife's Escape and my Harly fit perfectly ;-)

I am so glad I have an oversized garage as my RAM fits in the short bay of a 3 car garage.
9E9490F6-7081-42D9-908C-42C2ECF3918B.jpeg

i only have 1" in the front before i run in to the drywall & 1 " in back to clear the hurricane braces on the garage door no room for oops
Sounds like me. I've got like 3" total extra, and I used 1.75" of that for a 3/4 plywood and 1" insulation "pad" for the front...
I don't have your "one car" posts to deal with but this is stressful enough, especially when "she" didn't drive up far enough and closed the garage door on the tailgate... Yep, paint does come off just like I thought.

Attachments

• 910EA7CF-CC3B-44D0-85EE-9C72ADEDC1C3.jpeg
    910EA7CF-CC3B-44D0-85EE-9C72ADEDC1C3.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 8C74555C-9F59-4343-8281-95C5002F0B02.jpeg
    8C74555C-9F59-4343-8281-95C5002F0B02.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:
My father has a laser mounted above that shines through the windshield onto a spot on his dash which he has memorized as his stopping point. Seems like a great idea, though probably a superfluous one for his situation. in spite of his truck being a 2500 Mega Cab, he has at least 4 feet in front and 8 feet in back of his truck when he stops in his pull through garage. Funny to watch him creep forward and then spike the brake when the laser hits that oh so perfect spot.
Thats us old fuddy duddies...

Sounds like me. I've got like 3" total extra, and I used 1.75" of that for a 3/4 plywood and 1" insulation "pad" for the front...
I don't have your "one car" posts to deal with but this is stressful enough, especially when "she" didn't drive up far enough and closed the garage door on the tailgate... Yep, paint does come off just like I thought.
i moved my garage door eye sensors up to bumper level to prevent damage

i moved my garage door eye sensors up to bumper level to prevent damage
Maybe I should try that, or perhaps a big sign on the wall, "Go forward till you hit" I wonder which would be more effective?

Image result for sign on wall pull forward

Attachments

• 1612488762537.jpeg
    1612488762537.jpeg
    3 KB · Views: 10
Seems like you should back in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back