5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Garage Parking Suggestions

I have to back in and I use one of those parking bumpers set to the perfect spot so I know when to stop, I glued it down. It is a bit of a tripping hazard but not that bad that I've had to curse myself for putting it there.
Also have a shelf that I have to back to (put it up a couple years ago before I had a truck) and put an old foam roller that I cut in half to attach to the shelf that I look at while I'm backing in through the rear camera just in case. I have like a total of less than 6" so have to be precise. I could remove the shelf and give myself another 12" or so but then where do I put all the crap on that shelf? lol
I agree though I don't know why thy don't build them a little deeper. If I ever build my own house I'll make sure to have at least 10' more than what I have now.

I have to back in and I use one of those parking bumpers set to the perfect spot so I know when to stop, I glued it down. It is a bit of a tripping hazard but not that bad that I've had to curse myself for putting it there.
Also have a shelf that I have to back to (put it up a couple years ago before I had a truck) and put an old foam roller that I cut in half to attach to the shelf that I look at while I'm backing in through the rear camera just in case. I have like a total of less than 6" so have to be precise. I could remove the shelf and give myself another 12" or so but then where do I put all the crap on that shelf? lol
I agree though I don't know why thy don't build them a little deeper. If I ever build my own house I'll make sure to have at least 10' more than what I have now.
Builders are cheap and unrealistic. How much would 1 foot, just 1 foot more length really cost? Thats the difference between me fitting the CC sbox RAM into the new home garage (19’9”) and it sitting outside, looking like a dog that was sent out to pee and wants back in...

Builders are cheap and unrealistic. How much would 1 foot, just 1 foot more length really cost? Thats the difference between me fitting the CC sbox RAM into the new home garage (19’9”) and it sitting outside, looking like a dog that was sent out to pee and wants back in...
So true. The idiot architect who designed my house made the garage door opening just a few inches too low for a full-sized pickup. This prevented me from buying one for years. Finally, I got fed up, tore it down and redesigned and rebuilt it high enough. I had to put in a steel beam to compensate for the wide wood beam I had to remove. So much trouble just to gain a few inches more clearance.

So true. The idiot architect who designed my house made the garage door opening just a few inches too low for a full-sized pickup. This prevented me from buying one for years. Finally, I got fed up, tore it down and redesigned and rebuilt it high enough. I had to put in a steel beam to compensate for the wide wood beam I had to remove. So much trouble just to gain a few inches more clearance.
Sheesh thats nuts. I thought most garage doors were 7’?
Did you have a lift?

I would guess that a Ferd SuperDuty F250 4x (they sit pretty high stock) would have trouble clearing most any regular garage entry. There’s several of those sitting out on driveways in my neighborhood.

Sheesh thats nuts. I thought most garage doors were 7’?
Did you have a lift?

I would guess that a Ferd SuperDuty F250 4x (they sit pretty high stock) would have trouble clearing most any regular garage entry. There’s several of those sitting out on driveways in my neighborhood.
Yes, most are 7', they actually cut the top of my garage door to fit the lower opening. It's a contemporary architected house and the architect was going for some special look or something, I guess. If I ever meet him, he'd better run, lol.

I have a Limited, it's not lifted, but it has the air suspension so it can get as high. I keep it in Aero mode but with the clearance I gained from the rebuild, I could now fit in a lifted RAM 1500.

You could get the overhead garage storage racks maybe

My builder offered a 4’ extension up until Dec 31 and quietly it went away...I met with the rep in mid January, ordered everything (she) wanted and the lot she liked then was told “oh so sorry, no more garage extensions”. 🙄
Then I got “the look” and realized “game over” fella. 😬

I tried pointing out that “her truck” would sit outside and be hot/cold to get into (hint hint). Reply was “it’s got remote start”.
Slam dunk, 3 point swish at the buzzer, 2 point conversion, game winning goal...

Actually it was more like:
“Upgraded this, check. Upgraded that, check. Upgraded this n’ that, check, check. Upgraded, this, that and the other, check check check.”
“Level 2 upgrade of everything possible, check.”
Turns to me- “Now sir, what is it you’d like in the home?”
“Uhh, the 4’ garage extension.”
“Sorry, we stopped doing the garage extensions 2 weeks ago.”
“What? Honey did you hear...oh well, uhh sure, it’s all good, never mind me... no it’s fine..., wouldn’t want to lose out on those over the island pendant lights...” 🙄

Last edited by a moderator:
You could get the overhead garage storage racks maybe

Yes that’s something I’ve been contemplating. I hate anything on the floor of the garage, most everything I have in there is either hung from the ceiling or on a shelf or in a real nice garage steel cabinet I got from Costco. I just don’t look forward to the installation of those overhead storage racks, wonky shoulder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes that’s something I’ve been contemplating. I hate anything on the floor of the garage, most everything I have in there is either hung from the ceiling or on a shelf or in a real nice garage steel cabinet I got from Costco. I just don’t look forward to the installation of those overhead storage racks, wonky shoulder.
Bought this off Amazon and installed it myself. It is a great way to declutter the garage floor!

zzRACK.jpg

Those of us plebians w/o surround view just use shelving, workbenches, walls, trash barrels, rollaway tool chests or freezers as a guide... 🤔😬😮
I saw a while ago that someone cut up some pool noodles and strategically attached them to the walls and tool chest to help with the bumper car parking job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I paid someone to put them up in my Dallas area house that needed more storage. My shoulders don’t like doing overhead work like that either so I wasn’t going to put myself through that.

Those of us plebians w/o surround view just use shelving, workbenches, walls, trash barrels, rollaway tool chests or freezers as a guide... 🤔😬😮
This is what I did for years. However, with the 1500, I have to park it within 3" of the right mark or else it won't fit properly, so I had to default back to the trusty old tennis ball method which I haven't used in decades, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back