5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's a Labeled Fuse Diagram for the 1500

HAL9001

Reaction score
There have been a lot of people asking to make this a sticky so you can easily find it whenever you may need it. These requests have gone unanswered by the forum admins, so I just want to remind everyone that all the information here can always be found on this website that I created for it. The website will also work well on smartphones, so simply bookmark it. That way, if you're ever on the road and need it quickly, it will always be with you (provided you have internet access). There are also downloadable pdf versions that you can store on your computer and/or smartphone. You can also print the pdf versions (although the included links will obviously not be available).

Let me know if you would like any improvements or additions. I'm still trying to find the functions of circuit breakers CB1-CB4. If anyone knows their function or has access to the wiring schematics, please let me know.

Jeet

Reaction score
Thank you @HAL9001 - This is great info.

Thank you @securityguy

A big thanks to @securityguy for offering help. It was great and informative conversation with you. Thank you for pointing out the safety risk I was creating for myself. I was little hesitated to tackle radar hardwired myself but with you clear instructions I was able to do this myself and save some bucks in process. It was an easy process. Thank you very much once gain @securityguy

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you @HAL9001 - This is great info.

Thank you @securityguy

A big thanks to @securityguy for offering help. It was great and informative conversation with you. Thank you for pointing out the safety risk I was creating for myself. I was little hesitated to tackle radar hardwired myself but with you clear instructions I was able to do this myself and save some bucks in process. It was an easy process. Thank you very much once gain @securityguy
You are very welcome my friend...happy to help you, or anyone else, anytime. Have a great holiday weekend everybody and stay safe!

reapur

Reaction score
I was installing a Dash Cam and a Radar Detector in my new 1500 and I needed to find a fuse with constant power and one with power only when the engine was running to tap into. It's ridiculously difficult to locate specific fuses on the internal fuse box because they're labeled so poorly in tiny black-on-black characters and hardly any are labeled.

Excellent work.
Here's something to add to your collection. It involves F54B and how its position in the holder relates to the 12VDC outlet power.

View attachment 83115

Steve
Hello,
thank you for all the information in this thread. very helpful.
I have a 2022 limited and I want to add a cig lighter plug in the back somewhere. I'm not sure I'm going to cut a hole in the console I may just leave the plug under the drivers seat, it's for a bluetti power station and a fridge.
Just wondering, I've seen in another thread they were recommending to use Fuse F66 for the fuse tap.
But according to the picture above, there seems to be a dedicated 20A fuse for the cig plug, in a location I'd never use :)
Would there be a reason not to use F54 in position 2 to wire this cig plug?

Thanks

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello,
thank you for all the information in this thread. very helpful.
I have a 2022 limited and I want to add a cig lighter plug in the back somewhere. I'm not sure I'm going to cut a hole in the console I may just leave the plug under the drivers seat, it's for a bluetti power station and a fridge.
Just wondering, I've seen in another thread they were recommending to use Fuse F66 for the fuse tap.
But according to the picture above, there seems to be a dedicated 20A fuse for the cig plug, in a location I'd never use :)
Would there be a reason not to use F54 in position 2 to wire this cig plug?

Thanks
Let's start with these questions...how much DC current does the power station and fridge draw? Is the ridge AC or DC? Happy to help you design a circuit once I know what your are attempting to connect and their voltage/current draws.

reapur

Reaction score
Let's start with these questions...how much DC current does the power station and fridge draw? Is the ridge AC or DC? Happy to help you design a circuit once I know what your are attempting to connect and their voltage/current draws.
The Bluetti EB3A manual says under DC input, Power 200w Max, voltage 12-28DC, Current 8.5A Max, which seems to track as when I plugged it into the plug on top of the dash I could see it was drawing about 99watts.
The fridge draws 45W. It is both AC and DC and works fine running off the AC plug.
I'm doing this because the Bluetti won't charge from the AC outlet due to the modified sine wave output.
I did buy this:
but for some reason, plugged into the AC outlet in the back of the truck, the Bluetti only charges at 68w.
I wish RAM would've just included a cig plug in the back.
Thanks again

Last edited:

72guy

Reaction score
Thanks to all who contributed to make this a very educational read. I’ve got a 2019 3500 HD Cummins. Obviously, I’ve got some different wiring. Hard to believe that the Owners Manual only references the external PDC. No mention anywhere of the internal PDC on the drivers side. Too cold yesterday to pull the access panel off but I did look behind the panel and the PDC appears to be there.

I’m going to direct wire a dashcam and plan on using 54A and 20 if I have the same circuits. My question is about the amp load capacity of the add-a-fuse. I’ve seen the amp rating on various add-a-fuse vary from 10A to 20A. I’ll be using a 5A fuse or less in the upper slot to power the dash cam so that’s no problem. But F54A is a 20A fuse. Will I be exceeding the specs of the add-a-fuse, which is rated at 15A, if I insert the 20A fuse in the lower slot. Or, is the 15A rating on the add-a-fuse due to the 16 gauge wire going to my camera and I have no issue because my camera will be drawing less than 1A.

On a side note. I’m going to replace the access panel 7mm hex screws with a couple of nylon fiber thumb screws. No tools required.

Thanks again to all for some great information and Happy Holidays.

Edit: Think I answered my own question.
Bussmann/Eaton rates their add-a-fuse with a max amps of 30 for the main fuse and 10 amps for the additional circuit. I’ll be tapping into a 20amp circuit so I’m well under the max 30 amp rating of the add-a-fuse. I’ll use a 3 or 5 amp fuse for the new camera circuit, well under the 10 amp max. Good to go. A bit more expensive at Auto Zone. You don’t get a thousand of ‘em for $9.95 like on Amazon. But I only need two and I’m familiar with the names Bussmann, Eaton, and Littelfuse and I don’t mind paying a little extra for what might be perceived better quality.

Also, if you’re wondering about the load capacity of the 16AWG wire that is used on most of these add-a-fuse. From Google
Based on Table 310.16 of the NEC, 16 AWG copper wires are suitable for up to 18 amps in standard circuits with insulation and terminations rated for 90°C. Continuous loads used with this size should not exceed 8 amps.Oct 31, 2022

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread