5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's a Labeled Fuse Diagram for the 1500

HAL9001

Reaction score
Edit: I've updated all the information here to a much more comprehensive thread covering both the internal and external fuse panels. Please see this thread for the update and a lot more information.

I was installing a Dash Cam and a Radar Detector in my new 1500 and I needed to find a fuse with constant power and one with power only when the engine was running to tap into. It's ridiculously difficult to locate specific fuses on the internal fuse box because they're labeled so poorly in tiny black-on-black characters and hardly any are labeled.

So, I decided to take the time to label each fuse location for future reference. It's very useful so I'm posting it here if anyone else can use it. It's always good to know where each fuse is and what it does especially if one blows while you're on the road RVing or on vacation.

sss9Bha.jpg

This is from a 2021 1500 Limited but it should be close to other 2019-2021 1500's as well with some fuses added or missing depending upon what options you have.

You can find a description for each fuse starting on page 460 of the owner's manual. I've also included this info as an attachment below. If you store this on your smartphone or print it out and keep a copy in the truck, you'll have a much better reference for the fuses if you ever have any problems.

It's also interesting and important to note that RAM used three different types of fuses in the Internal Fuse Box.

They use Micro2 Fuses, Micro3 Fuses, and MCASE Fuses. So, if you want to stock some spares, you'll need all three types.

1613485617633.png

There are also four 25 Amp Circuit Breakers, CB1 - CB4, labeled from top to bottom.

Last edited:

RickWaz

Reaction score
I was installing a Dash Cam and a Radar Detector in my new 1500 and I needed to find a fuse with constant power and one with power only when the engine was running to tap into. It's ridiculously difficult to locate specific fuses on the internal fuse box because they're labeled so poorly in tiny black-on-black characters and hardly any are labeled.

So, I decided to take the time to label each fuse location for future reference. It's very useful so I'm posting it here if anyone else can use it. It's always good to know where each fuse is and what it does especially if one blows while you're on the road RVing or on vacation.

[IMG]

This is from a 2021 1500 Limited but it should be close to other 2019-2021 1500's as well with some fuses added or missing depending upon what options you have.

You can find a description for each fuse starting on page 460 of the owner's manual. I've also included this info as an attachment below. If you store this on your smartphone or print it out and keep a copy in the truck, you'll have a much better reference for the fuses if you ever have any problems.

It's also interesting and important to note that RAM used three different types of fuses in the Internal Fuse Box.

They use Micro2 Fuses, Micro3 Fuses, and MCASE Fuses. So, if you want to stock some spares, you'll need all three types.

View attachment 82990
FanFRIGGINtastic!!! MANY thanks!

Adonis_1111

Reaction score
Incredible! @HAL9001 - So helpful. It inspired me to finish my radar detector hardwire project! Also, big thanks to @securityguy for offering to help, because of you I tackled it myself vs. paying a professional installer. You were right... so easy to run the wiring in this truck. 1st time doing it and it was simple. Great forum... thanks all!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Incredible! @HAL9001 - So helpful. It inspired me to finish my radar detector hardwire project! Also, big thanks to @securityguy for offering to help, because of you I tackled it myself vs. paying a professional installer. You were right... so easy to run the wiring in this truck. 1st time doing it and it was simple. Great forum... thanks all!
You are very welcome my friend. This really is a very easy truck to do just about any wiring and fuse box connectivity is also very easy.

@HAL9001 ...awesome post with the fuse panel and descriptors. I am confident the forum will get a lot of use out of this one. I hope the moderators make it a sticky for quick and easy access!

HAL9001

Reaction score
How do you attach wires in the fuse box? Are there clips for spade terminals?
Like @securityguy said above, you use a Micro2 Fuse Tap.

A lot of people don't know how these work as they can be confusing. Basically, they allow you to tap 12VDC power from an existing fuse location and send it to an added-on accessory. They provide sockets for two fuses. One is for the existing OEM fuse and the second is for the added-on accessory. Both fuses operate totally independently of each other. If the accessory fuse blows, you won't lose power to the OEM circuit and vice versa.

1613602357711.png

These taps may be wired differently so carefully check the instructions that come with it, but usually, the upper fuse socket is for the new fuse while the lower socket is for the OEM fuse. Be very careful not to confuse the two sockets, especially if you're using say a 5 amp fuse for the new accessory and the OEM fuse is say 20 amps. You would not want to swap the two.

Also, keep in mind that these taps can only be plugged-in in one direction. If you plug it in backward, the OEM fuse location will still work properly, but the tap will not provide fused protection to the new accessory. If the instructions that come with the tap are not clear about this, and they're often not, you'll need a VOM meter to see which side of the fuse the power is coming from and match it correctly to the proper terminal of the tap.

If you're tapping into a normal Micro2 Fuse socket, always align the Fuse Tap's 12 V Line Input prong with the 12 V live side of the fuse socket. To determine which side of the fuse socket is live, remove the fuse and then use your voltmeter probe to test each side for 12 VDC. The voltmeter's positive lead is the probe, clamp the voltmeter's negative lead to any chassis ground. Be aware that you may need to turn on the ACC or IGN before you read 12 VDC on specific fuses.

Not all fuse locations may have the room to accommodate these taps. And you should try to use a fuse that is not critical to the operation of the vehicle in case the tap comes out or becomes defective.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Moreover to @HAL9001 post above, if you look at where the red wire is coming off of the tap, that is the NEW AUXILIARY FUSE CIRCUIT. So, in the case of the pic above, it would be the fuse slot on the far right as the wire is coming off of that location on the tap. The left side is the OEM fuse removed from the fuse panel. An easy way to determine which circuit is which.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.

sss9Bha.jpg

View attachment 82990

There are also four 25 Amp Circuit Breakers, CB1 - CB4, labeled from top to bottom.

Excellent work.
Here's something to add to your collection. It involves F54B and how its position in the holder relates to the 12VDC outlet power.

PowerOutletFusePower.jpg

Steve

HAL9001

Reaction score
Excellent work.
Here's something to add to your collection. It involves F54B and how its position in the holder relates to the 12VDC outlet power.

View attachment 83115

Steve
Correct. Fuse locations 54A and 54B are a special case. Apparently, RAM took a Micro3 slot and wired it so that a Micro2 fuse could be used in the right or left position to select whether the owner wanted the Power Outlet to be on all the time or only on when the engine is running. The default is the IGN position which would ensure the battery is not run down.

1613599192452.png

These fuse slots can also be used with a Micro2 Fuse Tap to select either constant power or IGN only power. Be aware that if you choose constant power, this could run down the battery from the added accessory and/or the Power Outlet.

Also be aware that, since the 12 Volt power feed is in the center location of the 54A/B Fuse slot, you would need to orient the Fuse Tap so that its 12 Volt line input prong aligns with it.

1613600369407.png

If you could see the internal wiring to the Fuse Tap it would look like this:

1613601545044.png

Last edited:

HAL9001

Reaction score
Moreover to @HAL9001 post above, if you look at where the red wire is coming off of the tap, that is the NEW AUXILIARY FUSE CIRCUIT. So, in the case of the pic above, it would be the fuse slot on the far right as the wire is coming off of that location on the tap. The left side is the OEM fuse removed from the fuse panel. An easy way to determine which circuit is which.
Excellent points. I've edited my post above to make this clearer.

Donmacky

Reaction score
Correct. Fuse locations 54A and 54B are a special case. Apparently, RAM took a Micro3 slot and wired it so that a Micro2 fuse could be used in the right or left position to select whether the owner wanted the Power Outlet to be on all the time or only on when the engine is running. The default is the IGN position which would ensure the battery is not run down.

View attachment 83125

These fuse slots can also be used with a Micro2 Fuse Tap to select either constant power or IGN only power. Be aware that if you choose constant power, this could run down the battery from the added accessory and/or the Power Outlet.

Also be aware that, since the 12 Volt power feed is in the center location of the 54A/B Fuse slot, you would need to orient the Fuse Tap so that its 12 Volt line input prong aligns with it.

View attachment 83129

If you could see the internal wiring to the Fuse Tap it would look like this:

View attachment 83132
What I want to hook up needs to be on the accessory side, not constant power.

HAL9001

Reaction score
What I want to hook up needs to be on the accessory side, not constant power.
Fuse positions 54A and 54B will provide either constant power (A) or IGN power (B). If you want ACC power, find a fuse that has 12VDC applied when ACC is turned on. You can do this by looking at the fuse descriptions and then confirming with a voltmeter. If you pull the fuse, one side of the fuse socket should measure 12VDC when ACC is on and 0VDC when it's off. Take note of the side of the fuse socket that has 12VDC power because you'll need to align that properly with the 12VDC line input of the fuse tap (see fuse tap photo above).

You don't need ACC power for a lot of accessories such as a Radar Detector or a Dash Cam because they don't necessarily need to run when the engine is off. IGN power may be a better choice because there's less of a chance of running down the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread