5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's a Labeled Fuse Diagram for the 1500

Donmacky

Reaction score
Fuse positions 54A and 54B will provide either constant power (A) or IGN power (B). If you want ACC power, find a fuse that has 12VDC applied when ACC is turned on. You can do this by looking at the fuse descriptions and then confirming with a voltmeter. If you pull the fuse, one side of the fuse socket should measure 12VDC when ACC is on and 0VDC when it's off. Take note of the side of the fuse socket that has 12VDC power because you'll need to align that properly with the 12VDC line input of the fuse tap (see fuse tap photo above).

You don't need ACC power for a lot of accessories such as a Radar Detector or a Dash Cam because they don't necessarily need to run when the engine is off. IGN power may be a better choice because there's less of a chance of running down the battery.
That's what I call ACC power....only on when switch is turned on to the ACC position or with IGN on. I didn't mean 24/7 battery power.

Quint

Reaction score
....but if say I want my disco ball to run when I have the truck on ACC, then I would tap into the ACC fuse. I don't only use it while driving. 😁

HAL9001

Reaction score
That's what I call ACC power....only on when switch is turned on to the ACC position or with IGN on. I didn't mean 24/7 battery power.
Yes, that's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure.

You always have the choice of:
Constant Power: Always on
ACC: Power in both the ACC and IGN key/start button modes
IGN: Power only when the engine is running.

They all have their uses and pros and cons. I usually use IGN for accessories unless, for some reason, I want them to work in the ACC mode as well as IGN.

Constant power is sometimes needed for certain accessories, such as a Dash Cam that can operate when the vehicle is parked. But you have to use both Constant Power and ACC modes wisely or else the battery can be run down.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Do you have any idea how I can add lights that only come on when the mirror puddle lights come on (ie when you unlock the truck or open the door)? I wasn’t sure if there was a fuse I could tap for this or if I had to do a wire tap into some light that comes on under those scenarios. If I had to do a wire tap I was thinking about tapping into the interior footwell lights since I believe those turn on in those situations. Thanks!

HAL9001

Reaction score
Do you have any idea how I can add lights that only come on when the mirror puddle lights come on (ie when you unlock the truck or open the door)? I wasn’t sure if there was a fuse I could tap for this or if I had to do a wire tap into some light that comes on under those scenarios. If I had to do a wire tap I was thinking about tapping into the interior footwell lights since I believe those turn on in those situations. Thanks!
Fuses only supply power to circuits, they themselves are not switched other than via the ACC or IGN modes. To add lights that only come on when the mirror puddle lights come on, you'll need to tap into the wires that power on the puddle lights or other lights such as you mentioned.

You need to be careful when tapping into any existing circuit because you might overload the existing fuse. Fortunately, LED lights draw much less current than incandescent lights did, so you may get away with it. In no case, however, should you increase the existing fuse ampere rating to accommodate an increased load. Most people know this but it needed to be mentioned.

HAL9001

Reaction score
We don't deserve you.
It's no big deal, I did this because I'll be RVing on the road for months at a time and I wanted to be sure that there were no surprises with the fuses if something went wrong. Once I was done, I thought it could be of use to others here because the OEM fuse documentation is really inadequate.

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
I usually use these types of circuits to trigger a relay, at which point you can use a fused 12v feed from the fuse box as described earlier in the thread. That way you don't run into over amp/voltage scenarios with existing circuits.

SKIPATROLL

Reaction score
Talked to a dealer who said the 12 vdc plug is always powered on and that it what my 2021 Eco Diesel Laramie does...always power coming from the 12v plug to my dashcam. I opened the internal fuse panel under the drivers side instrument panel and moved fuse F54 one position to the right and now have the dashcam so it turns off when I turn the car off thus avoiding excessive battery drain. PS the manual states that this accessory outlet is only powered when the ignition is on but my truck was opposite that.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Talked to a dealer who said the 12 vdc plug is always powered on and that it what my 2021 Eco Diesel Laramie does...always power coming from the 12v plug to my dashcam. I opened the internal fuse panel under the drivers side instrument panel and moved fuse F54 one position to the right and now have the dashcam so it turns off when I turn the car off thus avoiding excessive battery drain. PS the manual states that this accessory outlet is only powered when the ignition is on but my truck was opposite that.
Yep...just like thread 14.

HAL9001

Reaction score
If you would like to power your dashcam from a hidden wire rather than from the 12 VDC plug, I can explain how to do this. It would give you a much cleaner look for your dashcam install. It's not difficult.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Edit: I've updated all the information here to a much more comprehensive thread covering both the internal and external fuse panels. Please see this thread for the update and a lot more information.

I was installing a Dash Cam and a Radar Detector in my new 1500 and I needed to find a fuse with constant power and one with power only when the engine was running to tap into. It's ridiculously difficult to locate specific fuses on the internal fuse box because they're labeled so poorly in tiny black-on-black characters and hardly any are labeled.

So, I decided to take the time to label each fuse location for future reference. It's very useful so I'm posting it here if anyone else can use it. It's always good to know where each fuse is and what it does especially if one blows while you're on the road RVing or on vacation.

sss9Bha.jpg

This is from a 2021 1500 Limited but it should be close to other 2019-2021 1500's as well with some fuses added or missing depending upon what options you have.

You can find a description for each fuse starting on page 460 of the owner's manual. I've also included this info as an attachment below. If you store this on your smartphone or print it out and keep a copy in the truck, you'll have a much better reference for the fuses if you ever have any problems.

It's also interesting and important to note that RAM used three different types of fuses in the Internal Fuse Box.

They use Micro2 Fuses, Micro3 Fuses, and MCASE Fuses. So, if you want to stock some spares, you'll need all three types.

View attachment 82990

There are also four 25 Amp Circuit Breakers, CB1 - CB4, labeled from top to bottom.

Looking at the top pix of the panel...does it bother you that some fuses are upside down?

Or, does it bother you now that I've pointed it out? ;) 8)

Lolz...seriously, this was an awesome OP to put up. Thanks!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you would like to power your dashcam from a hidden wire rather than from the 12 VDC plug, I can explain how to do this. It would give you a much cleaner look for your dashcam install. It's not difficult.
Or @SKIPATROLL can just go visit the Dash Cam thread and see everything he'll ever need to know so we can keep this thread clean.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Looking at the top pix of the panel...does it bother you that some fuses are upside down?

Or, does it bother you now that I've pointed it out? ;) 8)

Lolz...seriously, this was an awesome OP to put up. Thanks!
Lol, if I had OCD it would definitely bother me. We used to pick on the rookie engineers and techs where I worked and we'd tell them they reversed the polarity on a fuse or a resistor. You'd be surprised how many fell for it, even guys from MIT and Georgia Tech. :p

HAL9001

Reaction score
One thing I did forget to mention - when you get a chance, check all of your fuses to see if they were fully inserted all the way in the sockets. The majority of mine were only partially inserted. I had to push almost all of them down to properly seat them.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
One thing I did forget to mention - when you get a chance, check all of your fuses to see if they were fully inserted all the way in the sockets. The majority of mine were only partially inserted. I had to push almost all of them down to properly seat them.
Same here...the majority of mine were not completely seated in the fuse panel.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is there any way to get the USB ports under the 12” infotainment screen to power only when the truck is on? Currently, power to those runs for an hour or two after the truck turns off. I have a CPLAY2air hooked up on the right USB port, and since power is still running to that after I turn the truck off and go inside my house, my iPhone keeps wanting to connect to the wifi signal the CPLAY2air emits, vs. my home wifi.
There is not and I have not had that issue at all. You can alter the cigarette lighter plug but not the USB ports. Your USB ports should shut down when the radio goes to sleep...not after an hour or two. Mine was here in my 2019 and again in my 2021...never any issues.

RAM CARPLAY.jpg

frostymug

Reaction score
There is not and I have not had that issue at all. You can alter the cigarette lighter plug but not the USB ports. Your USB ports should shut down when the radio goes to sleep...not after an hour or two. Mine was here in my 2019 and again in my 2021...never any issues.

View attachment 84837
Thanks! I think I am just having software issues with my phone and it‘s not wanting to handoff from one WiFi signal to the next as it should. I just verified what you said, so thanks for pointing that out. Now I can concentrate on fixing my phone instead.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I am just having software issues with my phone and it‘s not wanting to handoff from one WiFi signal to the next as it should. I just verified what you said, so thanks for pointing that out. Now I can concentrate on fixing my phone instead.
Any time my friend!

Users who are viewing this thread