5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HEMI Tick Prevention

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oil is cheap, my time is not. For changing the oil I spend at least 3 hours of my time, appointments, going to the dealer etc. I do not have these 3 hours to do unnecessary job.
It takes me less than 30 minutes in the garage twice a year. Amazon brings me the oil and filter and i keep a spare set on hand...no way I'd take my Ram to a dealer for an oil change.

The company car goes to Valvoline Quick Oil Change, I stay in the car, get caught up on work and I'm done in under an hour every other month. No issues with over 25 big visits in under 4 years...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
15 minutes in the garage. Amazon brings me the oil and filter... but no way I'd take my Ram to a dealer for an oil change.

The company car goes to Valvoline Quick Oil Change, I stay in the car, get caught up on work and I'm done in under an hour. No issues with over 25 big visits in under 4 years...
Shoot, 15 minutes is the minimum time I would let oil drain before putting drain plug back in.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shoot, 15 minutes is the minimum time I would let oil drain before putting drain plug back in.
I didn't include the walk away time. Pull the plug and the dipstick and walk away.. come back later and put the plug in and swap out the filter.

I change the oil where she's parked in the garage, I don't even need to move her.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i do mine on saturday after work. oil's cheap when i'm paying cost and it only takes no more than 30 minutes. that's including me letting it drain, go fill the tires, get distracted by my friends coming to hang out, and then realizing my truck is still in the air so i go back to complete the whole process before going back to hang out with my friends.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took a vehicle to Valvoline Quick Oil Change, recently, and rather than drain the oil via the drain plug in the pan, they sucked the oil out through the dip stick tube. I was appealed and vowed never to go back there.
they probably thought it's still a mercedes benz LOL

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
and then realizing my truck is still in the air
Most people don't have lifts so it does take a lot more time.
Gota get the jack, jack the truck up, put on jackstands, then get under it then reverse when done.

That's why I love the air suspension with retractable steps, just get under it.

Either way it's an under hour job with even the most basic setup.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most people don't have lifts so it does take a lot more time.
Gota get the jack, jack the truck up, put on jackstands, then get under it then reverse when done.

That's why I love the air suspension with retractable steps, just get under it.

Either way it's an under hour job with even the most basic setup.
oh yeah. when we are busy and there's no open lift we do oil change on the ground. Whether it is sedans, Jeeps, trucks, etc. Doing it on the ground takes slightly longer because I can't move as fast since I have my gut in the way, but still is under an hour job for sure even if i'm taking my sweet *** time and take a short break on the ground watching oil drip

Having to do that while raining... that's a whole different story lol

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
oh yeah. when we are busy and there's no open lift we do oil change on the ground. Whether it is sedans, Jeeps, trucks, etc. Doing it on the ground takes slightly longer because I can't move as fast since I have my gut in the way, but still is under an hour job for sure even if i'm taking my sweet *** time and take a short break on the ground watching oil drip

Having to do that while raining... that's a whole different story lol
My problem is wind.
Never goes the same direction and can easily make a mess with oil. A few weeks on the driveway and i's gone though.

I got a new oil catching pan I can't wait to use, it raises up but it's a plastic one so fits under the truck.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The worst thing about changing your own oil is disposing of the old oil. I usually make a bon fire with it.
My city has a huge drain oil tank for citizens to dispose of used oil. After doing oil changes I empty my drain pans into a larger 3 gallon jug and when full I take it down and pour it into the recycling tank. Every city around here has them.

St-na

Reaction score
I can get in and out at local dealer in under an hour. They have a "quick lube" service lane. Not that I take my truck threw but works good for my company provided work van
The only reliable dealer, actually the one from whom I bought my truck is 1 hour away from me, I tried others with very negative result-4 hours waiting+additional dent on my door. I do not want to do this job by myself, because I still believe it's absolutely non necessary. I would rather prefer to do oil analyzing every 40-50k. At least I can evaluate real condition of the oil and motor.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My problem is wind.
Never goes the same direction and can easily make a mess with oil. A few weeks on the driveway and i's gone though.

I got a new oil catching pan I can't wait to use, it raises up but it's a plastic one so fits under the truck.
i never thought of that. now i'm gonna start telling people to wait for the lift inside when it's windy out :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only reliable dealer, actually the one from whom I bought my truck is 1 hour away from me, I tried others with very negative result-4 hours waiting+additional dent on my door. I do not want to do this job by myself, because I still believe it's absolutely non necessary. I would rather prefer to do oil analyzing every 40-50k. At least I can evaluate real condition of the oil and motor.
You think changing the oil isn't necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread