5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HEMI Tick Prevention

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone came across this video yet
This man claims to be a Dodge tech for 30 years and he tickers around these engines (see his channel)

But according to him, Hellcat oil pump and 5000 miles oil change are the best prevention to lifter ticks.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've seen so many videos on this from different people that all "seem" to on now what they are talking about.
One claims it's best to leave it as is and let MDS engage to reduce lifter tick.
People on youtube do videos for views so lots of time they are dead wrong, even if they have no clue.

Noy saying this guy is wrong, but can't believe any of em.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There have been so many different theories as to what causes the Hemi tick, and how to prevent failures. Who knows what it right and what is wrong. Seems the 5th gens aren't as susceptible to the cam/lifter failures as previous years.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I honestly think 5K oil changes are the key in helping to at least mitigate common problems/failures, and not just across any one brand. Going by the oil life monitor and changing it when it tells you to just doesn't seem like a good idea, IMO.
Depends on oil type.
Some oil still have great qualities at 5k miles (assuming there is no metal shredding in it).

Only way to know is to send your oil out, which a lot of people to and I have seen a bunch of results and almost none say the oil looks like it needs to be changed by 5k miles.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
to me his explanation makes sense and includes disassemble of parts to show how/ why MDS doesn't contribute to the issue as many people tend to think.
the graphs also help explain volume vs pressure too.

DeanM2

Reaction score
Regarding oil. My well-read but not expert option... Oil, unless it is "burnt" is good almost forever. The very important additive package in oil will not last forever, but it will probably last much longer than the 5K proposed, above. Rather than changing oil every 5K miles, it is probably more important to change the oil filter. This is something Truckers do. If the filter becomes clogged, the back pressure in the filter will cause the oil filter to bypass the oil filter and release unfiltered oil into the system rather than starve the engine for oil. Unfiltered oil is about the worst thing you can do for the engine. So, I would suggest that changing oil (only) early has no beneficial effect.
Oil pressure from the oil pump is a whole nother thing. Getting oil into the valve train, and the rest of the engine, ASAP, is a very good thing.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I schedule an oil change whenever my oil life monitor gets to 25%. Usually equates to twice a year. I put about 12k miles per year, mostly highway. Haven’t had a problem yet 🤞🏻

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Regarding oil. My well-read but not expert option... Oil, unless it is "burnt" is good almost forever. The very important additive package in oil will not last forever, but it will probably last much longer than the 5K proposed, above. Rather than changing oil every 5K miles, it is probably more important to change the oil filter. This is something Truckers do. If the filter becomes clogged, the back pressure in the filter will cause the oil filter to bypass the oil filter and release unfiltered oil into the system rather than starve the engine for oil. Unfiltered oil is about the worst thing you can do for the engine. So, I would suggest that changing oil (only) early has no beneficial effect.
Oil pressure from the oil pump is a whole nother thing. Getting oil into the valve train, and the rest of the engine, ASAP, is a very good thing.
If you use a good oil, and your engine isn't trash, you shouldnt be clogging a filter to the point of going into bypass in 5 K miles. If so, you have bigger issues than oil or filter.

St-na

Reaction score
I am more than 35 years working with the engines and oils. From the university I learned about blotter spot method for quick oil test: Blotter Spot Engine Oil Test #OilChat 72 - Blue Chip Lubricants and I am still using this method for quick evaluation. Blackstone oil analyzing is also good way to go. I was changing the oil on my 4th gen every 10k, knowing nothing about hemi tick, even after 10k oil was in perfect condition. Truck had more than 120k when traded in for 5th gen. Motor was in perfect condition.
He is changing the oil every 10k miles, more than 200k miles driven, engine still perfect, according Blackstone.
I don't believe, that changing the oil every 5k is a solution to avoid hemi tick, but I am sure that oil quality is important and must be checked regularly. I like the video from ReignitedAuto, but he also suspected possible material issues of Camshaft/lifters, he seen also cases when Camshaft failed first.
5th gen is already more than 4 years on the road, I see few trucks with over 180k on sale, knocking on wood.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am more than 35 years working with the engines and oils. From the university I learned about blotter spot method for quick oil test: Blotter Spot Engine Oil Test #OilChat 72 - Blue Chip Lubricants and I am still using this method for quick evaluation. Blackstone oil analyzing is also good way to go. I was changing the oil on my 4th gen every 10k, knowing nothing about hemi tick, even after 10k oil was in perfect condition. Truck had more than 120k when traded in for 5th gen. Motor was in perfect condition.
He is changing the oil every 10k miles, more than 200k miles driven, engine still perfect, according Blackstone.
I don't believe, that changing the oil every 5k is a solution to avoid hemi tick, but I am sure that oil quality is important and must be checked regularly. I like the video from ReignitedAuto, but he also suspected possible material issues of Camshaft/lifters, he seen also cases when Camshaft failed first.
5th gen is already more than 4 years on the road, I see few trucks with over 180k on sale, knocking on wood.

More importantly, if you see his idle hours which are close to 2000 IIRC, I think it's safe to discard the whole "don't let your truck idle" myth as well.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
More importantly, if you see his idle hours which are close to 2000 IIRC, I think it's safe to discard the whole "don't let your truck idle" myth as well.
I'm a firm believer that letting any engine idle for a few minutes is better than an additional start/stop cycle on it.

I put 178k miles on my company car, that had a turbo engine in it. Oil changes were every 7,500 miles (per our fleet policy) with full synthetic. When I turned it in, it didn't burn a drop of oil or have any issues...

Now, in my Ram, I do every 5,000 miles. No lifter tick, noise or issues. Oils cheap.

St-na

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer that letting any engine idle for a few minutes is better than an additional start/stop cycle on it.

I put 178k miles on my company car, that had a turbo engine in it. Oil changes were every 7,500 miles (per our fleet policy) with full synthetic. When I turned it in, it didn't burn a drop of oil or have any issues...

Now, in my Ram, I do every 5,000 miles. No lifter tick, noise or issues. Oils cheap.
Oil is cheap, my time is not. For changing the oil I spend at least 3 hours of my time, appointments, going to the dealer etc. I do not have these 3 hours to do unnecessary job.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oil is cheap, my time is not. For changing the oil I spend at least 3 hours of my time, appointments, going to the dealer etc. I do not have these 3 hours to do unnecessary job.
I can get in and out at local dealer in under an hour. They have a "quick lube" service lane. Not that I take my truck threw but works good for my company provided work van

Users who are viewing this thread