5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi lack of power

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Even if there’s zero wheel spin? I timed both ways and got the same time. Usually when the tires break loose even very slightly the traction light flickers ever so slightly. I have none unless I launch with a slight brake torque to get the rpm’s up. Either those Wildpeak A/T grip extremely well, which I doubt, or my truck has some low end torque/hp issues. That’s what I’m trying to figure out.
The traction control will pull power if it even senses the slightest wheel spin.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is all true, but the other other part of the equation (and part of what a Pedal Commander or similar corrects) is the throttle response speed. The stock throttle response is a bit sluggish and has a bit of a delay. You can stomp on the pedal, theoretically opening the throttle body 100%, but there is a delay as the throttle body slowly opens. It is not an instant response. The Pedal Commander can remove this delay, so when the pedal is pushed, the throttle body responds instantly. Sprint Booster has an old video available that demonstrates this well.
I have a sprint booster and there is still lag, even when on "racing 9" which is the highest it goes. I also have a tune on my truck by Jay Greene.
It just affects how sensitive the throttle is, not the speed of actually engaging anything.
I watched the same video and I think it's rigged crap.

This is a good source for 0-60 times.

2019 Ram 1500 Tradesman Crew Cab 4X4 0-60 mph 7.5
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4X4 0-60 mph 8.5
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 0-60 mph 6.1
2019 Ram 1500 Limited Crew Cab 4X4 0-60 mph 6.5

How do any of those times make any sense? I'm assuming they are only compairing the 5.7 right? 8.5 on a big horn but 6.1 in a Laramie? wtf?
Even if there’s zero wheel spin? I timed both ways and got the same time. Usually when the tires break loose even very slightly the traction light flickers ever so slightly. I have none unless I launch with a slight brake torque to get the rpm’s up. Either those Wildpeak A/T grip extremely well, which I doubt, or my truck has some low end torque/hp issues. That’s what I’m trying to figure out.
When your wheels spin there are no lights that flicker unless you really lost a ton of traction.
I went sideways for a bit down my road 1 time and I didn't get any lights.
Just having the TCS enabled loses you speed even it it doesn't appear to be "kicking in"

You are running A/T tires? No wonder why you are getting terrible speeds, 3.21 gears with AT tires.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a sprint booster and there is still lag, even when on "racing 9" which is the highest it goes. I also have a tune on my truck by Jay Greene.
It just affects how sensitive the throttle is, not the speed of actually engaging anything.

How do any of those times make any sense? I'm assuming they are only compairing the 5.7 right? 8.5 on a big horn but 6.1 in a Laramie? wtf?

When your wheels spin there are no lights that flicker unless you really lost a ton of traction.
Just having the TCS enabled loses you speed even it it doesn't appear to be "kicking in"

You are running A/T tires? No wonder why you are getting terrible speeds, 3.21 gears with AT tires.
I had bigger A/T tires on my last truck and was still running mid-6’s with 3.21’s. Made very little difference compared to my stock tires. I can see that mattering if your drastically going up in size but the stock A/T tires on my BackCountry are actually very small in comparison.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did a few 0-60 runs last night after I left drag strip. Wasn't running my best times at track, and the 0-60 times showed it as well. Best was a 6.97. that's with a 2/1 lift and 34" M/T tires, and playing around with a few different launch techniques. Also, the more heat soaked the engine, the slower it goes. And it was a nice 65 degrees outside at the time

Louhound88

Reaction score
Using a stopwatch isn't accurate at all, but depending on the app, might be. Even trying to watch a video and use a stopwatch, or time stamps won't be that accurate. Speedo and tach usually have some delay to them.

I have also verified, with multiple runs, probably more than anyone else in this forum, that using 4-high gets the best launches without worry of wheel spin. Using 4-auto is slower due to power loss through clutches in transfer case. If you can prevent wheel spin, 2wd should be the fastest, but it's touchy getting a good launch without wheel spin.

When I run at drag strip, if only doing 1/8 mile, I stay in 4-high the whole run. If running 1/4 mile, I will switch from 4-high to 2wd after shift into 2nd. I will still get some wheel spin on 1-2 shift at WOT in 2wd. Switching to 2wd on 1/4 mile runs dropped 1/10 of my times.
Interesting that you switch from 4hi to 2wd while running hard. I've thought about trying that but worried about wrecking the transfer case or something. Any concerns with doing it?

When you get wheel spin on 1-2, how do you tell? I swear at times I get it too but don't know if i'm just feeling things. I can't hear anything because all I hear at that point is my exhaust. Would you see it in your rpm or speed?

Louhound88

Reaction score

Yeah the throttle cut-out is pretty huge when I try to punch it in 2wd. A quick ramp up in power, very slight wheel spin detected, then my gas pedal just becomes a footrest until reduced power is allowed and I can continue. Turning off TCS doesn't seem to do too much in 2wd either. If i switch to 4hi it seems to actually work but then again I don't know that I lose traction then, as i'll get some pretty good torque launches.

That's all with dry roads. On wet roads you can obviously break loose the tires a lot easier, but I find that once my tires are allowed to break loose, the traction control does not cut power. Then i'll see the TCS flash or whatever, but at that point I'm goosing the gas and keeping the wheelspin going. lol. It's been a long time since i've accidentally broke loose my tires on wet roads. At this point I'm doing it intentionally. I've had it happen once on a dry road when trying to turn too fast/hard, but even then it seemed to keep the power in enough to let me countersteer and drift a little.

Dewey

Reaction score
Interesting that you switch from 4hi to 2wd while running hard. I've thought about trying that but worried about wrecking the transfer case or something. Any concerns with doing it?

When you get wheel spin on 1-2, how do you tell? I swear at times I get it too but don't know if i'm just feeling things. I can't hear anything because all I hear at that point is my exhaust. Would you see it in your rpm or speed?
Wheel spin from 1-2? Heck I would be happy if I could get any right now from a standing start in first gear with the traction control turned off. It’s pretty pathetic. Think I finally decided I’m gonna take my truck in and have it checked out. Did some more testing this weekend and I was getting 0-60’s in the 8’s. Feels like I have a darn V6 right now.🤨

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The computers are "smart" enough to not allow the shift if it was going to cause damage.

As far as the wheel spin, I can feel it. And on the street I can hear it. It's just a short chirp, but it's wheel spin. I use my TazerDT to completely disable TCS and ESP, so no nanny's cutting power. If you just push the button in the dash, it only reduces the effect, but doesn't completely turn it off

Louhound88

Reaction score
Wheel spin from 1-2? Heck I would be happy if I could get any right now from a standing start in first gear with the traction control turned off. It’s pretty pathetic. Think I finally decided I’m gonna take my truck in and have it checked out. Did some more testing this weekend and I was getting 0-60’s in the 8’s. Feels like I have a darn V6 right now.🤨
How do you normally drive? Pretty mild? I know if I go a few days of easy takeoffs and normal acceleration then my shift points tend to retrain themselves to be granny gears. I have to drive a little wild before it goes back to holding gear longer.

Also, do you have larger tires? Have you had your tire size recalibrated? I have 35"s and before recalibrating for tire size I had some pretty weird shift points and a pretty big gap in actual vs displayed speed. Like 6 or 7mph off at 75mph. When driving with the speed showing 60mph, it was more like 64mph. And it would put me in 8th gear early too.

Dewey

Reaction score
How do you normally drive? Pretty mild? I know if I go a few days of easy takeoffs and normal acceleration then my shift points tend to retrain themselves to be granny gears. I have to drive a little wild before it goes back to holding gear longer.

Also, do you have larger tires? Have you had your tire size recalibrated? I have 35"s and before recalibrating for tire size I had some pretty weird shift points and a pretty big gap in actual vs displayed speed. Like 6 or 7mph off at 75mph. When driving with the speed showing 60mph, it was more like 64mph. And it would put me in 8th gear early too.
I drive pretty hard. Never believed in babying my vehicles. Basically I break them in exactly how I’ll be driving them. I’m just approaching 4000 miles.

Tires are stock 18’s and actually smaller diameter than the 20’s I had on my last truck which were A/T’s too.

0759773E-5A35-4230-BBD9-164C497FB67D.jpeg

Dewey

Reaction score
Update:

Just passed 5000 miles and suddenly my motor seems to have woken up. I can’t explain it as nothing was changed. Maybe it just needed a bit more break in miles. No clue. My 0-60’s are now in the upper 6 second range and getting better by the day it seems. That’s quite the improvement from where I was. Seems like the low end torque is there now and breaking the tires with ease now.

Very strange. None of my other trucks acted this way. They were good right off the lot. I’m gonna blame it on the crappy eTorque system.😆

HemiDude

Reaction score
Update:

Just passed 5000 miles and suddenly my motor seems to have woken up. I can’t explain it as nothing was changed. Maybe it just needed a bit more break in miles. No clue. My 0-60’s are now in the upper 6 second range and getting better by the day it seems. That’s quite the improvement from where I was. Seems like the low end torque is there now and breaking the tires with ease now.

Very strange. None of my other trucks acted this way. They were good right off the lot. I’m gonna blame it on the crappy eTorque system.😆
I have experienced an increase in pep and mpg in both of my Rams after the break-in period, but nothing like what you are describing. That is a pretty dramatic personality change - Glad for ya!

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought the same thing and that’s why I’m hesitating taking it in. The truck has been perfect otherwise and no issues mechanically. Gas mileage is good and no other drivability issues whatsoever except for the dreaded throttle lag which I now eliminated. The average person would never notice this with everyday driving but I’ve been driving Hemi’s enough to know something is obviously off with this one.
Maybe they accidentally put your 3.21 in backwards at the factory and you have a 1.23. :p :LOL:

Dewey

Reaction score
Funny thing is when my power came back my GT exhaust got a bit louder. Coincidence or was there maybe an obstruction in the exhaust that eventually blew out.🤔

I installed at 100 miles so can’t really say how the power was before.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny thing is when my power came back my GT exhaust got a bit louder. Coincidence or was there maybe an obstruction in the exhaust that eventually blew out.🤔

I installed at 100 miles so can’t really say how the power was before.

Exhaust sound has a break in period as well & each vehicle is different but the general consensus is that sound improves over time. It sounds like that’s what your experiencing. Same thing happened in the past with my 91 integra, the 99 Trans Am, & the 00 Cherokee - sounds better after a few thousand miles. I have a 4.0 6 cylinder in the Jeep Cherokee that sounds like a V8 with just a few things done to it to make it do so. I know A LOT of different people with the same Cherokee XJ but only 2 of them sound like V8’s with the 4.0.

Dewey

Reaction score
Exhaust sound has a break in period as well & each vehicle is different but the general consensus is that sound improves over time. It sounds like that’s what your experiencing. Same thing happened in the past with my 91 integra, the 99 Trans Am, & the 00 Cherokee - sounds better after a few thousand miles. I have a 4.0 6 cylinder in the Jeep Cherokee that sounds like a V8 with just a few things done to it to make it do so. I know A LOT of different people with the same Cherokee XJ but only 2 of them sound like V8’s with the 4.0.
I installed a Flowmaster American Thunder on my last truck when new. It sounded good when installed but really sounded good at 120,000 miles when I sold it. Think it would have made the Outlaw sound very quiet in comparison.😆

Users who are viewing this thread