5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi lack of power

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My new BackCountry has about 2500 miles on it now. From day one the power just didn’t seem right compared to my last few new Laramie’s with same motor and same 3.21 gears. Figured I would give it some more time to break in but still seems like a dog compared to my last truck. Not sure what’s going on.

To verify I checked my 0-60 multiple times and just as I thought it’s a pretty consistent 7.8-7.9 seconds. BARELY breaks the rear tires loose from a standing stop which I find highly unusual. Even with traction control off.

That’s a huge difference from my last truck that had no problems lighting up the bigger tires and still producing mid 6 second 0-60. Had to launch in 4WD to hook up at the start.

Anybody else have this problem? I must say my seat of the pants feel is a bit disappointed so far. Might have to take my truck in and have it looked at. Something must be going on. With eTorque boost off the line I expected it to be even faster than my 4th Gen.

So what do you all think….all in my head and let in break in a bit more or is there really an issue?🤔

Last edited:

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
IME, the throttle response, from the factory, on these trucks is barely adequate. One of the first, and best, purchases I have made for my truck was a throttle controller! Takes only a few minutes to install and REALLY wakes up the HEMI and puts the power where you need it WHEN you want it. While in stock settings, it is difficult to break the tires loose off the line. With my throttle controller I MUST turn on 4WD if I want to step on the gas at a light or the tires just spin.

There are a number of them on the market like Pedal Commander, JMS PedalMAX, Sprint booster, and Banks Pedal Monster.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
I would not jump to these throttle response options first. They do NOT do anything for actual power, they only do what any car with a "sport" mode button does in part. To me it sounds like you have an actual mechanical or system/sensor issue. These trucks are not dogs and there should not be a difference from your previous 5.7 trucks to your new one. There have been no significant changes to the motor in years.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
The 5th gen throttle response is much slower than the 4th gen I used to have and they are the same engine's. Provided the check engine light is not on and it's running normal I should suggest installing a pedal commander or any one of the many others available. I havent put one on yet but I have heard that they make instant noticeable differences and many people do use them

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Something has to be wrong. The throttle response is slower than my old Tundra, but my Ram is definitely faster and it will easily bust my tires loose.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I would not jump to these throttle response options first. They do NOT do anything for actual power, they only do what any car with a "sport" mode button does in part. To me it sounds like you have an actual mechanical or system/sensor issue. These trucks are not dogs and there should not be a difference from your previous 5.7 trucks to your new one. There have been no significant changes to the motor in years.
I agree, throttle controllers do not do anything for actual power, they simply allow you to access the power instantly (or at least MUCH faster) instead of having a significant delay and slow opening throttle body. That said, I have not driven OP's truck and cannot say there is nothing wrong mechanically, simply sharing MY experience with MY truck.
Something has to be wrong. The throttle response is slower than my old Tundra, but my Ram is definitely faster and it will easily bust my tires loose.
OP also has the 3.21 gears instead of your 3.92. Makes a difference.
The 5th gen throttle response is much slower than the 4th gen I used to have and they are the same engine's. Provided the check engine light is not on and it's running normal I should suggest installing a pedal commander or any one of the many others available. I havent put one on yet but I have heard that they make instant noticeable differences and many people do use them
I have one and can say that the difference is night and day. I hate taking my RAM in for service because I disconnect the throttle controller (just in case) and hate driving with the stock throttle response. It just feels so sluggish!

OP, if you are worried there is something wrong, have it looked at. If, or when, they tell you there is nothing wrong, spend the ~$300 and get a throttle controller. Depending on where you order from, you can return it if it doesn't perform as you hope (Amazon).

HemiDude

Reaction score
My new BackCountry has about 2500 miles on it now. From day one the power just didn’t seem right compared to my last few new Laramie’s with same motor and same 3.21 gears. Figured I would give it some more time to break in but still seems like a dog compared to my last truck. Not sure what’s going on.

To verify I checked my 0-60 multiple times and just as I thought it’s a pretty consistent 7.8-7.9 seconds. BARELY breaks the rear tires loose from a standing stop which I find highly unusual. Even with traction control off.

That’s a huge difference from my last truck that had no problems lighting up the bigger tires and still producing mid 6 second 0-60. Had to launch in 4WD to hook up at the start.

Anybody else have this problem? I must say my seat of the pants feel is a bit disappointed so far. Might have to take my truck in and have it looked at. Something must be going on. With eTorque boost off the line I expected it to be even faster than my 4th Gen.

So what do you all think….all in my head and let in break in a bit more or is there really an issue?🤔
I see in your sig you added the Mopar CAI and GT exhaust. Did you notice any difference in the way your truck acted comparing before and after? Also, when you watch your gauges, do all of the temps fall into what you would consider normal ranges?

One other thing, and hopefully if I'm wrong on this someone here with more knowledge will correct me, I've heard that the etorque needs to function normally for charging, have you tried driving it for a while with the A/S/S enabled?

HemiDude

Reaction score
I see in your sig you added the Mopar CAI and GT exhaust. Did you notice any difference in the way your truck acted comparing before and after? Also, when you watch your gauges, do all of the temps fall into what you would consider normal ranges?

One other thing, and hopefully if I'm wrong on this someone here with more knowledge will correct me, I've heard that the etorque needs to function normally for charging, have you tried driving it for a while with the A/S/S enabled?
Couple of other thoughts: If haven't already, maybe disconnect and reconnect your battery, and allow the truck to re-learn your driving habits. Additionally, with the the way these trucks are being assembled these days, it wouldn't surprise me if someone dropped a spark plug or two and just installed them anyway. Short of taking it to the dealer, I would pull all the plugs just to see their conditions and gaps, that's a relatively easy thing to check. But then again I avoid taking my truck to the dealer at just about any cost ;)

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Every truck, even when equipped identically, performs differently. With all the parts and machining involved in the manufacture and assembly that it takes to produce, and with all the mods we do, it is a wonder that they perform as well as they do. And, it only takes one small part out of the hundreds, to screw up the performance.

Dewey

Reaction score

Nothing changed with the CAI and GT exhaust. Throttle response was still sluggish either way. Everything is completely normal with gauges end temps. I drove with eTorque on and off for longer periods and it acts exactly the same.

Someone mentioned 3.21 gears. This is my third truck with that ratio and never had any issues before.

Diconnecting the battery and driving to relearn is a good idea. I’ll for sure try that.

I’ve been seriously considering the Pedal Commander. Been reading all kinds of comments on throttle response with the 5th Gens. Seems it’s seriously lagging from the factory. My 4th Gens had a tiny bit at initial wide open throttle but then the power was instant and very strong from the start. Seems like right now the low end grunt just isn’t there but then the motor screams and makes plenty of power at high rpm’s like it should.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had no issues spinning the tires on my 2020 with 3.92 gears. Actually have to make sure I'm lighter on the throttle taking off to prevent wheel spin.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Nothing changed with the CAI and GT exhaust. Throttle response was still sluggish either way. Everything is completely normal with gauges end temps. I drove with eTorque on and off for longer periods and it acts exactly the same.

Someone mentioned 3.21 gears. This is my third truck with that ratio and never had any issues before.

Diconnecting the battery and driving to relearn is a good idea. I’ll for sure try that.

I’ve been seriously considering the Pedal Commander. Been reading all kinds of comments on throttle response with the 5th Gens. Seems it’s seriously lagging from the factory. My 4th Gens had a tiny bit at initial wide open throttle but then the power was instant and very strong from the start. Seems like right now the low end grunt just isn’t there but then the motor screams and makes plenty of power at high rpm’s like it should.
Before you do that and mess up all the other systems for a few hours...

Turn it to run without it running. Then slowly cycle the throttle to the floor and back a few times. Then shut it off. Wait a few seconds, then foot on the brake and start it and test drive it.

Dewey

Reaction score
Before you do that and mess up all the other systems for a few hours...

Turn it to run without it running. Then slowly cycle the throttle to the floor and back a few times. Then shut it off. Wait a few seconds, then foot on the brake and start it and test drive it.
I’ve done that a few times in the last month. It seems to give temporary throttle inprovement for a few days and then goes right back to the way it was. Very strange.

Jake103

Reaction score
The pedal delay is probably programmed into the computer. A.k.a "torque managment" Manufactures have done it for a long time. Even more so because these trucks and cars are putting out much more power than they did 15-20 years ago. Torque managment only allows so much power depending on the mapping/programming that's in the computer. Also shift points are programmed. I remember some time ago guys were getting more out of the old 4l60e's in the gm's (I know its a ram forum) when they would get a tune. From the factory they would have it almost slip into gears if you will, instead of bang/hard shift like a shift kit would. It was actually easier on the transmission to shift like that, rather then the smooth slide/slip into gears. Torque managment helps vehicles/parts usually last longer because you are not putting all that power right away. Manufactures have done this for years. That's why tunes are so popular you can change the mapping/ programming for shift points and throttle etc. If you want a difference a custom tune may be what you are looking for, way more options and worth the money. Keep in mind though any warranty will be voided for a custome tune. The newer rams need an actual unlocked/jailbroke ecm for a tune. Which the manufacturer will see right away when you bring it in if you are making a warranty claim.

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score

I'm willing to bet the problem is the throttle lag that is a 5th gen issue. There's a reason why you can buy a throttle commander type controller from several different manufacturers for the 5th gen. I'm not even sure there are any available for the 4th gen because the response was way better on them. If you dont want to experiment with a $300 pedal commander brand controller you can get a cheap knock off version from amazon or ebay for like $50 that some members use with the same results as the $300 version

Dewey

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet the problem is the throttle lag that is a 5th gen issue. There's a reason why you can buy a throttle commander type controller from several different manufacturers for the 5th gen. I'm not even sure there are any available for the 4th gen because the response was way better on them. If you dont want to experiment with a $300 pedal commander brand controller you can get a cheap knock off version from amazon or ebay for like $50 that some members use with the same results as the $300 version
I’m likely gonna buy a Pedal Commander. Just watching for a good deal on one.

outnumbered

Reaction score
This is my first 5th Gen, and 4th Ram 5.7 since 2012. I intentionally ordered the truck with the 3:92 gear for better acceleration. But like the OP, I feel this truck is weaker than my 2018 with the 3:21. I'm here in NC, so may end up paying Hemi Fever in Raleigh a visit.

Users who are viewing this thread