5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi lack of power

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What does this do/reset?
It's a throttle pedal calibration procedure. People will notice a difference in throttle response, but the more you drive, it relearns your driving habits and reverts back to what it was before. I drive my truck very aggressively most of the time. Can't say I've noticed any issues. Those who drive "normal" are work on improving gas mileage are probably effected more.

A pedal commanderz or similar device doesn't give the truck more power. It just changed how the throttle.body reacts to pedal input. For examples stock, of you push gas pedal down halfway, theoretically the throttle body opens half way. With the pedal commanderz depending on level you choose, if you push gas pedal down halfway, it may open throttle body 3/4 of the way. So if you are just more aggressive in your throttle you can achieve similar results, just have o.gice.more throttle input with your foot.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
A pedal commanderz or similar device doesn't give the truck more power. It just changed how the throttle.body reacts to pedal input. For examples stock, of you push gas pedal down halfway, theoretically the throttle body opens half way. With the pedal commanderz depending on level you choose, if you push gas pedal down halfway, it may open throttle body 3/4 of the way. So if you are just more aggressive in your throttle you can achieve similar results, just have o.gice.more throttle input with your foot.
This is all true, but the other other part of the equation (and part of what a Pedal Commander or similar corrects) is the throttle response speed. The stock throttle response is a bit sluggish and has a bit of a delay. You can stomp on the pedal, theoretically opening the throttle body 100%, but there is a delay as the throttle body slowly opens. It is not an instant response. The Pedal Commander can remove this delay, so when the pedal is pushed, the throttle body responds instantly. Sprint Booster has an old video available that demonstrates this well.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I ordered a Pedal Commander today so hopefully that takes care of the problem. They sent me a $50 off code this morning so it was too hard to pass up.

I think eliminating that throttle delay will take care of much of my problems. Sounds like that’s really common with the 5th Gens and wonder if it’s not programmed that way for the stop/start and ETorque. Seems like they’ve been messing with all kinds of stuff lately and making things worse instead of better. My 2017 had instant throttle response. I will say I really miss the non-eTorque motor.🙁

Last edited:

Dewey

Reaction score
I installed my Pedal Commander today. Litteraly took two minutes. Can’t get any easier than that.

My first setting was Sport +2 and immediately I felt the throttle response I’ve been missing since day one. That’s how it should come from the factory. I would say that’s exactly where my 2017 was at with very little to no delay. Feels good not having to give 3/4 throttle anymore to get the truck moving. Maybe something was wrong with my 2022 and this just corrected it but based on others experience the 5th Gens were a pretty big step down with throttle response, especially the 2022’s with the goofy eTorque programming.

Bad news is I don’t think my 0-60 times improved a huge amount. Still have to play around with the settings and launch techniques to get accurate times. Seat of the pants tell me it’s still a bit slower than my 4th Gen which is really disappointing.

I realize I don’t pick up any HP with a PC but figured the much improved throttle response out of the hole would really improve 0-60. Noticing that 0-30 is really good but then the motor is lackluster at best from 30-60. Just doesn’t pull like it should in that range. Obviously not a throttle response issue since I’m already at full throttle. Seems I might still have another issue that needs to be adressed.

Dewey

Reaction score
I still haven’t disconnected my battery out of fear of messing other things up. Been reading of all kinds of issues although only temporary the way it sounds. Will that really make any difference and did I need to do that after installing my G/T exhaust and CAI? Just curious if that helped anybody else with similar drivability issues.

Dewey

Reaction score
Disconnected my battery and then drove normally for a few days. Feels a bit better but still seems slow with consistent 7.5-7.8 sec 0-60 times. Watching other 5th Gen eTorque 0-60 videos with 3.21’s running low 6’s. Quite a difference for sure.

Anybody else here time any 0-60 runs? I especially would be interested in seeing data from G/T performance pages since I’m set up with the same exhaust and CAI. Doubt that makes any difference but just curious to see what others run with a similar setup.

Before I take my truck in I wanna make sure there really is a problem. I hate dealing with service departments especially for something like this. Hope to figure it out on my own.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Disconnected my battery and then drove normally for a few days. Feels a bit better but still seems slow with consistent 7.5-7.8 sec 0-60 times. Watching other 5th Gen eTorque 0-60 videos with 3.21’s running low 6’s. Quite a difference for sure.

Anybody else here time any 0-60 runs? I especially would be interested in seeing data from G/T performance pages since I’m set up with the same exhaust and CAI. Doubt that makes any difference but just curious to see what others run with a similar setup.

Before I take my truck in I wanna make sure there really is a problem. I hate dealing with service departments especially for something like this. Hope to figure it out on my own.
My Built to Serve with Vararam and Borla ATAK gave me a 6.1 0-60 time using the TazerDT timer.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My buddy and I just got new Rams. His is a Backcountry. Mine is a Laramie. We live in the same town and fuel up at the same station and drive the same general roads to and from work. His truck is getting about 14 MPG and mine is seeing 17.5. This is per the dash display, not hand calculated, but nevertheless it's relevant for this convo. Both of us have the non-eTorque Hemis.

Something seems to be dragging his truck down compared to mine. He says it feels the same in terms of power, but I don't think it should be seeing significantly lower fuel economy like that. Odd......

I will say that my 2020 EcoDiesel with 3.92 gears felt like a monster compared to this Hemi 3.21 truck. The trans shifted better and the engine felt really strong. When I go WOT on this truck it feels like a parachute is connected.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy and I just got new Rams. His is a Backcountry. Mine is a Laramie. We live in the same town and fuel up at the same station and drive the same general roads to and from work. His truck is getting about 14 MPG and mine is seeing 17.5. This is per the dash display, not hand calculated, but nevertheless it's relevant for this convo. Both of us have the non-eTorque Hemis.

Something seems to be dragging his truck down compared to mine. He says it feels the same in terms of power, but I don't think it should be seeing significantly lower fuel economy like that. Odd......

I will say that my 2020 EcoDiesel with 3.92 gears felt like a monster compared to this Hemi 3.21 truck. The trans shifted better and the engine felt really strong. When I go WOT on this truck it feels like a parachute is connected.
Does your Laramie have the ORP like his Back Country? Different wheels and tires, different options, trucks weigh different. Lots of factors involved. He probably drives different than you as well. The real test would be swapping trucks for a tank of fuel and see what happens

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does your Laramie have the ORP like his Back Country? Different wheels and tires, different options, trucks weigh different. Lots of factors involved. He probably drives different than you as well. The real test would be swapping trucks for a tank of fuel and see what happens

He and I both drive like old men due to fuel prices and our careers. Lol. My truck doesn't have skid plates like his. But his truck doesn't have some of the options mine has. Curb weights are likely almost identical. I'd say the only significant difference is the tires. I have 20s with H/T tires. His, being a Backcountry, gets A/T tires I assume.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He and I both drive like old men due to fuel prices and our careers. Lol. My truck doesn't have skid plates like his. But his truck doesn't have some of the options mine has. Curb weights are likely almost identical. I'd say the only significant difference is the tires. I have 20s with H/T tires. His, being a Backcountry, gets A/T tires I assume.
You'd be surprised how much driving style can make a difference. Are the gear sets the same between the trucks? You can look at your payload capacity on the door frame to help determine if the weights are similar.

HemiDude

Reaction score

I've run mid 6's 0-60 in my GT, per the Performance Pages timer. I believe that day I had a full tank of gas, and the wife was along for the ride, so I'm sure there's room for improvement. I don't think I ever got below 6 seconds in my Big Horn, which was much less optioned out than this truck, my point being that these trucks will never be rocket ships. Still, you're a second slower than you should be. Have you possibly confirmed the fluid levels in your rear diff and transmission? Tire pressures? No disrespect intended with these questions, but I have read posts where other members have found those fluids low or in poor condition. Also, just out of curiosity, what does your payload sticker read?

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Get a throttle commander. It makes a pretty big difference in instance off the line feel with no delay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Get a throttle commander. It makes a pretty big difference in instance off the line feel with no delay

That should have zero effect on 0-60 times.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
No. But he is basing a lot of this off feel, I feel like. As 0-60 times using apps have a lot of variables to play.

It makes the truck “feel” much better once it’s installed.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how much driving style can make a difference. Are the gear sets the same between the trucks? You can look at your payload capacity on the door frame to help determine if the weights are similar.

Yep, both 3.21 trucks.

Looks like there's two topics going in this thread. OP was talking about how objectively his new Backcountry is slower/weaker than prior Hemi trucks he's had. Then you have a group talking about subjective feel and how Pedal Commander can change it. Apples to oranges.

I only brought up the fuel economy because that's an objective data point that sort of fits with what the OP is saying about his truck feeling weak. If something is creating more drag on the Backcountry trim, it would reflect itself in MPG and power.

Dewey

Reaction score

Already added one. See above.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No. But he is basing a lot of this off feel, I feel like. As 0-60 times using apps have a lot of variables to play.

It makes the truck “feel” much better once it’s installed.

Not as many variable as you want to think. Uses GPS and accelerometer. Launch in 4-hi so there is no wheel spin, and that removes the biggest variable. Obviously weather conditions and altitude will play a part as none of them correct for that like a Dyno tries to. But we are talking tenths of a second or less, not a full second

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Tire size/weight, elevation, fuel quality/grade, truck configuration also plays a role.

I have a feeling if you take your truck to the dealer because you think your 0-60 is slow they are going to laugh at you.

Users who are viewing this thread