5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi beating Ecoboost???

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would challenger anyone with a stock 2.7 ecoboost to race myself and my coworker...if you want a muscle truck thats non turbo...the Hemi Ram Express is pretty damn quick!!! (Not as quick as the GM 6.2 though haha)

Sv250

Reaction score
Well the ram lost in both vids. Another factor thats against tbe 6 speed f150 not the 10 speed.

I love my RAM but its an ice wagon.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would challenger anyone with a stock 2.7 ecoboost to race myself and my coworker...if you want a muscle truck thats non turbo...the Hemi Ram Express is pretty damn quick!!! (Not as quick as the GM 6.2 though haha)

If I still had my truck :)

I never lost to a Hemi in that thing, though now I own one, funny how that works lol.

Sv250

Reaction score
If I still had my truck :)

I never lost to a Hemi in that thing, though now I own one, funny how that works lol.
I hear ya. I was driving a F250 6.4 chipped/deleted. Used to blow chsllangers away with ease. It rode like chit and was going to blow up at any given time but fast as #$%@.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hear ya. I was driving a F250 6.4 chipped/deleted. Used to blow chsllangers away with ease. It rode like chit and was going to blow up at any given time but fast as #$%@.
Hehe true that! My old souped up Colbalt SS got smoked by a F-250 like 10 years ago...I remember thinking "holy crap!!!" Lol

MurdaRam

Reaction score
Well the ram lost in both vids. Another factor thats against tbe 6 speed f150 not the 10 speed.

I love my RAM but its an ice wagon.
Yeah Ram lost but not by much when you factor in Ram is down on power and a heavier truck I’d say the Ram held its own. On the streets it’s more of a drivers race who can get the better launch. Also if you check the description on the video both f150s had the 10 speed transmission. Ram 1500 isn’t a fast truck but it is fairly quick stock. When you launch in 4wd Auto T/C off and in tow haul mode you can surprise a lot of people from a stop.

Last edited:

Krootz

Reaction score
I noticed that with traction control on, the truck will limit throttle on tire spin (cutting power). Also, I tested shift quickness between T/H mode on and with it off - it was night and day faster shifting with T/H on.

I smash those 2 buttons every time I go anywhere, because of that.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed that with traction control on, the truck will limit throttle on tire spin (cutting power). Also, I tested shift quickness between T/H mode on and with it off - it was night and day faster shifting with T/H on.

I smash those 2 buttons every time I go anywhere, because of that.
I ended up with a JMS PedalMax Throttle Controller. It seems to still let traction control cut power but not as much and only if I'm really spinning the tires. That paired with T/H mode really makes the difference. We smoked a 2020 2.7 Ecoboost a few weeks back (3rd 2.7 we've smoked) I'm starting to think it's not the driver's fault lol. Now keep in mind..."smoking" another truck usually means just beating it by around 1 truck length lol.

Drewster

Reaction score
I ended up with a JMS PedalMax Throttle Controller. It seems to still let traction control cut power but not as much and only if I'm really spinning the tires. That paired with T/H mode really makes the difference. We smoked a 2020 2.7 Ecoboost a few weeks back (3rd 2.7 we've smoked) I'm starting to think it's not the driver's fault lol. Now keep in mind..."smoking" another truck usually means just beating it by around 1 truck length lol.
That box has nothing to do with your traction control system - it's just fooling the throttle input. The only way it would make traction control come on less is if it's not actually giving you full throttle as fast as you.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That box has nothing to do with your traction control system - it's just fooling the throttle input. The only way it would make traction control come on less is if it's not actually giving you full throttle as fast as you.
True...not directly anyway....the signal from the pedal gets sent to the ECU...not straight to the throttle body so there's more going on there than most people think. Thanks for your input though :)

Drewster

Reaction score
True...not directly anyway....the signal from the pedal gets sent to the ECU...not straight to the throttle body so there's more going on there than most people think. Thanks for your input though :)
That is the throttle input I am referring to.
The ECU does all of the mapping, but the throttle signal the box is messing with is just the analog signal from your foot. 100% is 100%, regardless of whether your foot gives the ECU that or it's coming from the box.

My point still stands - that box has absolutely nothing to do with traction control, unless it's *not* giving 100%

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is the throttle input I am referring to.
The ECU does all of the mapping, but the throttle signal the box is messing with is just the analog signal from your foot. 100% is 100%, regardless of whether your foot gives the ECU that or it's coming from the box.

My point still stands - that box has absolutely nothing to do with traction control, unless it's *not* giving 100%
Sounds good.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind gas turbo engines are finicky. Sometimes they just don't 'hook up' like you want them to.
I can say that with confidence as a previous owner of a 2.7 ecoboost 2wd extended cab w/ 3.55 gears and 10 speed tranny. As someone else stated, F-150's are tin cans. I didn't realize just how much of a tin can my 2018 XLT was until I bought the RAM. I also HATED the peakiness/choppyness of the ecoboost motor under light to moderate acceleration. It was so far from smooth. The 10 speed was overkill for such a torquey motor. Also with 10 speeds there was too much 'soft clunking' going on when slowing down.
I bough the RAM to finally get that smooth, heavy truck feeling the F150's don't seem to have anymore. I LOVE how incredibly smooth the 8 speed tranny is on this RAM. Like BUTTER.
There are really only two things I miss from the ecoboost: the way it could hold a gear when accelerating up a hill and the MPG.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind gas turbo engines are finicky. Sometimes they just don't 'hook up' like you want them to.
I can say that with confidence as a previous owner of a 2.7 ecoboost 2wd extended cab w/ 3.55 gears and 10 speed tranny. As someone else stated, F-150's are tin cans. I didn't realize just how much of a tin can my 2018 XLT was until I bought the RAM. I also HATED the peakiness/choppyness of the ecoboost motor under light to moderate acceleration. It was so far from smooth. The 10 speed was overkill for such a torquey motor. Also with 10 speeds there was too much 'soft clunking' going on when slowing down.
I bough the RAM to finally get that smooth, heavy truck feeling the F150's don't seem to have anymore. I LOVE how incredibly smooth the 8 speed tranny is on this RAM. Like BUTTER.
There are really only two things I miss from the ecoboost: the way it could hold a gear when accelerating up a hill and the MPG.
Very good points. I remember my 2014 F150 5.0 felt very solid but I hated having 2wd and just an extended cab. My Ram was such a great deal and feels a little more solid than my Ford did.

Bose48

Reaction score
I just traded in a 2017 Ford Ecoboost 3.5 liter. Truck was a crew cab 4x4 fx4 with the sport package. On the center shifter it had a button for tow/haul and then sport mode. Sport mode held the gears longer. Off a stoplight in sport mode, I could get with it and chirp a few gears and it pulled like crazy. Once up to about 65-70mph it didn't feel like it had much pull left in it. Is my 2021 Ram faster?, Not off the line, not even close. If we were rolling I think it would be pretty even. I prefer the way the ram sounds, drives, and rides over that F150 and I've only had it a few weeks.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just traded in a 2017 Ford Ecoboost 3.5 liter. Truck was a crew cab 4x4 fx4 with the sport package. On the center shifter it had a button for tow/haul and then sport mode. Sport mode held the gears longer. Off a stoplight in sport mode, I could get with it and chirp a few gears and it pulled like crazy. Once up to about 65-70mph it didn't feel like it had much pull left in it. Is my 2021 Ram faster?, Not off the line, not even close. If we were rolling I think it would be pretty even. I prefer the way the ram sounds, drives, and rides over that F150 and I've only had it a few weeks.
Makes sense. After those turbos are finished boosting...the rest is relied upon only the engine. So top speed...Ram will smoke the Ecoboost for sure, it's just that initial acceleration when those turbos spool up in the 3.5 that really give it that edge.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes sense. After those turbos are finished boosting...the rest is relied upon only the engine. So top speed...Ram will smoke the Ecoboost for sure, it's just that initial acceleration when those turbos spool up in the 3.5 that really give it that edge.
I had a 2017 tuned Raptor. It topped out at 150. Don't think my Ram would smoke it at any speed. Love my ram though!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had a 2017 tuned Raptor. It topped out at 150. Don't think my Ram would smoke it at any speed. Love my ram though!

I have thoroughly tested my F150 2.7L, our Silverado 5.3L and my RAM 5.7L. My Ecoboost was without a doubt the fastest truck we owned, whether 0-60 or 1/4 mile. Not sure about top speed.

The only way I can see a Hemi beating a Ecoboost is purely as a driver's race scenario, especially if the Ecoboost is 2wd. Due to the low torque curve & near instant torque, it's easy to spin the tires on a 2wd truck and lose all your time there. In 4H, I would be surprised if even the 6.2L GM could out-drag the 2.7L Eco.

I also love my RAM Hemi, I can live with it being slower than my F150 :)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have no doubt that it could top out at 150, what I was saying is that the 2.7 and 3.5 will take longer to get to top speed than the Ram after the turbos stop spooling. The turbos can't continuously boost all the way to 150mph lol.

Users who are viewing this thread