5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi beating Ecoboost???

rebel without a cause

Reaction score
I too am a previous owner of a Ford 2017 F150 Ecoboost 3.5L, I can tell you for a fact it will smoke my Rebel from 0-60 and the quarter mile. With the EcoBoost I was getting 20 miles to the gallon, with my hemi I am lucky to pull off 14. That is the only thing I miss and where Ford has a big advantage.

rebel without a cause

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the F150 went to an aluminum bed back in 2015 making it 700 to 800 lbs lighter then Ram which helps the EcoBoost performance. Would like someone to weigh in with a GMC body (Carbon Pro Bed) vs Ram.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too am a previous owner of a Ford 2017 F150 Ecoboost 3.5L, I can tell you for a fact it will smoke my Rebel from 0-60 and the quarter mile. With the EcoBoost I was getting 20 miles to the gallon, with my hemi I am lucky to pull off 14. That is the only thing I miss and where Ford has a big advantage.
No argument here...the 3.5 turbo is a beast lol. Almost bought one, but didn't want to give up the V8 lol.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
thats cool and all, but you couldnt give me a truck without a v8

You could definitely give me a truck without a V8, but I'm just going to to trade it in or sell it. :ROFLMAO:

Keep in mind that the F150 went to an aluminum bed back in 2015 making it 700 to 800 lbs lighter then Ram which helps the EcoBoost performance. Would like someone to weigh in with a GMC body (Carbon Pro Bed) vs Ram.

I've seen some videos about the GMC vs RAM. The 5.3 cannot keep up, but the Chevy/GMC 6.2 beats any of the other current N/A truck engines. I don't recall what bed they had, but regardless, I don't see the 5.3 making much headway.
If you take a look at Ford forums, you'll also see that not everyone gets the fantastic MPGs I see mentioned in this thread a few times. Many are getting the same as us.

As others said, did not buy this truck to be a race car, I agree. It would be nice to be able to keep up, though.
I hear it all the time from my Ford-fanboy brother-in-law on the EcoBoosts, Ford's put thousands of hours of testing into it, its so much better than the V8s... blah blah.
He said that about his 2008 F-150 with the 5.4 as well, and he traded that in for his current 2016 EB F-150 because it was having major engine issues.

EDIT: I looked at Fords before buying my 2020 Ram. If they would have a Rambox equivalent, I would have looked at the upcoming 2021 models, and if I had ended up in one, it would have had the 5.0 V8 (assuming they don't have another V8 in the pipeline for non-Raptors).

Last edited:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

What's interesting is that they cut 700lbs+ out of the truck, and the payloads didn't shoot up that dramatically. The truth is that due to the SAE J2807 standard, those payload/towing ratings would have taken a huge beating had they made that Gen ford compliant, the way Toyota and Ram were (the lowest payloads in the segment at the time IIRC).

Again the ecoboosts are not for me, for longevity reasons, complexity, acoustics - a general belief that the best engine format for a non-diesel fullsize truck living a truck's life, is a big lazy V8. Not a strung out 2L gas engine.
But they are good at stoplight to stoplight racing. Light truck with low end torque? That's the formula.

Edit: I do want to mention I think GM's 6.2L V8 is awesome, great engine. I do wish it wasn't rated to run on premium to get those numbers though.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could definitely give me a truck without a V8, but I'm just going to to trade it in or sell it. :ROFLMAO:

I've seen some videos about the GMC vs RAM. The 5.3 cannot keep up, but the Chevy/GMC 6.2 beats any of the other current N/A truck engines. I don't recall what bed they had, but regardless, I don't see the 5.3 making much headway.
If you take a look at Ford forums, you'll also see that not everyone gets the fantastic MPGs I see mentioned in this thread a few times. Many are getting the same as us.

As others said, did not buy this truck to be a race car, I agree. It would be nice to be able to keep up, though.
I hear it all the time from my Ford-fanboy brother-in-law on the EcoBoosts, Ford's put thousands of hours of testing into it, its so much better than the V8s... blah blah.
He said that about his 2008 F-150 with the 5.4 as well, and he traded that in for his current 2016 EB F-150 because it was having major engine issues.

EDIT: I looked at Fords before buying my 2020 Ram. If they would have a Rambox equivalent, I would have looked at the upcoming 2021 models, and if I had ended up in one, it would have had the 5.0 V8 (assuming they don't have another V8 in the pipeline for non-Raptors).
The 5.0 Is a very good engine...haven't driven one with the 10 speed auto though....I've heard mixed reviews on that.

ktl5005

Reaction score
It is a known fact that the basic 3.5 ecoboost is faster than the hemi. The 3.5 HO Ecoboost makes us look slow The 2.7L With a tune will beat the HEMI. That is about the only thing Ford has over the Ram, power to weight. Style, interior Ram wins in my book.

The reason the Ecoboost isn't offered the HD line of Ford (F250 and above) is the complexity of the turbo engines so when towing heavy loads, and hauling heavy, the simplicity of a v8 is better. For the 1/2 ton line, the Ecoboost is a killer Motor.

My friend runs a 2018 3.5L lariat. HE did 13.8 in the 1/4 mile on a test and tune night. No tune on the truck. Bone stock. We'd be lucky to have a Ram under 14.4

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It is a known fact that the basic 3.5 ecoboost is faster than the hemi. The 3.5 HO Ecoboost makes us look slow The 2.7L With a tune will beat the HEMI. That is about the only thing Ford has over the Ram, power to weight. Style, interior Ram wins in my book.

The reason the Ecoboost isn't offered the HD line of Ford (F250 and above) is the complexity of the turbo engines so when towing heavy loads, and hauling heavy, the simplicity of a v8 is better. For the 1/2 ton line, the Ecoboost is a killer Motor.

My friend runs a 2018 3.5L lariat. HE did 13.8 in the 1/4 mile on a test and tune night. No tune on the truck. Bone stock. We'd be lucky to have a Ram under 14.4

Actually the 2.7L Ecoboost is faster 0-60 & 1/4 than the 3.5L, it's due to gearing and setup for heavy towing of the 3.5L. In fact, the only V8 engine that can beat the 2.7L is the 6.2L in the GMs, and just only.

Or course if you're towing, it's maxed out at 9,000 lbs, the 3.5L can do over 13,000 lbs.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Absolutely! With a tune...the 2.7 will wipe the floor with the Hemi...I've seen the videos. But we're going to try an race another stock 2.7 Eco this week and see what happens. Because we already kicked one 2.7 to the curb....let's see how we do against another.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok...here it is. I thought my coworker was recording the videos but he told me AFTER the racing that his phone battery died...I'm not happy.
2 races took place against a 2.7 ecoboost. it was a XLT model 4wd.
Race was from one stop light to another approx. 300 yards.
Coworkers 2016 Ram Express Hemi 2wd.
By the top of 2nd gear he was ahead of the Ford by 2 truck lengths!
I raced the same truck (different driver)..same lights, same distance. I BEAT him by 1 truck length about half way through. He didn't gain on either of us the whole way.
Base model express Hemi 2wd has proven to be the fastest Hemi model Ram for now.
Next time we'll have videos!!

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok...here it is. I thought my coworker was recording the videos but he told me AFTER the racing that his phone battery died...I'm not happy.
2 races took place against a 2.7 ecoboost. it was a XLT model 4wd.
Race was from one stop light to another approx. 300 yards.
Coworkers 2016 Ram Express Hemi 2wd.
By the top of 2nd gear he was ahead of the Ford by 2 truck lengths!
I raced the same truck (different driver)..same lights, same distance. I BEAT him by 1 truck length about half way through. He didn't gain on either of us the whole way.
Base model express Hemi 2wd has proven to be the fastest Hemi model Ram for now.
Next time we'll have videos!!

excited for the videos... cause if not, it didnt happen :ROFLMAO: (y)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Congrats man! (y)

You did something I've never seen before, a current gen 5.7L beat a 2.7L Ecoboost. None of the magazine test or my own experience at the track would expect to see that happen, so big thumbs up you got that guy.

Don't really need the video, it's totally believable. There are many variables from configuration, gearing, driver, etc, and since we are dealing with literally tenths of a second from slowest to fastest, it really can go either way.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats man! (y)

You did something I've never seen before, a current gen 5.7L beat a 2.7L Ecoboost. None of the magazine test or my own experience at the track would expect to see that happen, so big thumbs up you got that guy.

Don't really need the video, it's totally believable. There are many variables from configuration, gearing, driver, etc, and since we are dealing with literally tenths of a second from slowest to fastest, it really can go either way.
Thanks man! I wasn't really surprised that the the Ram Express beat him but I was surprised that my 4wd Bighorn beat him. Maybe the Etorque really does add torque...? Right now...my Ram is all stock except for the A/T tires lol.
My coworker just corrected me...he said he beat the Ford guy by closer to 2.5 lengths lol

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks man! I wasn't really surprised that the the Ram Express beat him but I was surprised that my 4wd Bighorn beat him. Maybe the Etorque really does add torque...? Right now...my Ram is all stock except for the A/T tires lol.
My coworker just corrected me...he said he beat the Ford guy by closer to 2.5 lengths lol

Awesome!

Just a note though, the fastest 2.7L Ecoboost tested are larger crewcab 4WD trucks, running in 4-high off the line to get better grip, the 2WD are slower in test because its' harder to get the power down with a light truck with weight biased to the front.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome!

Just a note though, the fastest 2.7L Ecoboost tested are larger crewcab 4WD trucks, running in 4-high off the line to get better grip, the 2WD are slower in test because its' harder to get the power down with a light truck with weight biased to the front.
That does make a little more sense

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a Gen II 3.5L EB with the 3.55's and it will smoke my Hemi Etrq w 3.92's.

Hell, my wife just bought a 2020 F150 SCrew 4x4 with the baby EcoBoost (2.7L) and I'm pretty sure that will smoke my Hemi.

Loving the truck, it's just not that quick.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I had a Gen II 3.5L EB with the 3.55's and it will smoke my Hemi Etrq w 3.92's.

Hell, my wife just bought a 2020 F150 SCrew 4x4 with the baby EcoBoost (2.7L) and I'm pretty sure that will smoke my Hemi.

Loving the truck, it's just not that quick.

I knew that going in, coming right out of a Ecoboost 2.7L, but signed on the dotted line and traded in a truck I adored. Your new RAM is a better overall truck than the current F150 (and all others) and sounds vastly better.

You may want to look into getting a Pedal Commander to get that throttle feel back.

Last edited:

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Traded my 2017 Raptor in on a 2019 Limited almost two years ago...have never looked back. The Raptor was definitely quicker as far as trucks go, just could never get over hearing my own exhaust driving under overpasses...Stupid I know. Besides, I have my Redeye to fill my need for speed!!! And frankly, I've never seen or owned a nicer truck than my Ram, would have never thought that 10 years ago.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Traded my 2017 Raptor in on a 2019 Limited almost two years ago...have never looked back. The Raptor was definitely quicker as far as trucks go, just could never get over hearing my own exhaust driving under overpasses...Stupid I know. Besides, I have my Redeye to fill my need for speed!!! And frankly, I've never seen or owned a nicer truck than my Ram, would have never thought that 10 years ago.
I know the feeling...it was always Ford and GM for me until recently lol

Users who are viewing this thread