5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me decide: 5'7" or 6'4" bed

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My argument for 6'4" - which is why I have the longer bed -- is that at some point I may need to sleep in it and I'm not quite short enough for the 5'7" bed. As long as you have a trailer, that's not likely to be an issue.

My argument for the 5'7" bed is where you'll be parking. Break out a tape measure and see just exactly how deep your garage is. I'd be kicking myself forever if I bought the long bed and discovered it's 3" too long to garage it. If neither will fit or the garage is full of other stuff, disregard.
Funny you say that. I'm 5'7". I guess I could sleep diagonally in the shorter bed. Regarding the garage, we may be building an external one for the camper, so we'd make it wide enough to also include the truck. Either bed length would be tight in our current garages.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you plan on getting a bigger trailer at some point, then a 2500 might be a good choice. It will also allow you to take more extra stuff with you. But anyways...
I had the 6'4" bed on my 1500(was a need for me) and liked it because I could lay our bikes in there and still close the tonneau cover.
Like you said, 8' lumber will fit better.
Depending on layout of your TT the hitch weight could be higher than that, I'd suggest scaling it.
I don't think 9" is going to make much of a difference in length, either way it's hard to pull into spaces in a tighter parking lot with a truck. I always just parked farther away, backed in or pulled through when I parked.

I think your payload estimate is reasonable on a Laramie, mine was 1650ish. There is a thread around here somewhere that has weights of some of the options but not sure where it is exactly.
For sure some heavy options to avoid: multi-function tailgate, rambox, off road group, sunroof.
Remember adding running boards, tonneau cover/cap etc. will decrease your available payload.
Thanks for the input. I found a 2019 version of the option weights and assume it's similar. I've yet to find a Laramie with the diesel that has a payload over the low to mid 1400#s. I really don't see us getting a larger trailer. We are unlikely to ever be full-timers, though I guess you never say never...

We do plan to get it to a scale. A friend had one of those tongue scales and we were at about 500#, without the WDH attached and it weighs maybe 60-80#? Feels like it, anyway. I'd spread the payload in the trailer to aim for 12% at the hitch, unless I find it needs to be more or less to handle better.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How often will you use the back seats? If you don't need the rear legroom, Quad Cabs all have the 6' 4" bed and are 4" shorter in overall length than a Crew Cab 5' 7" bed (Quad fits in my garage, Crew barely did not). My payload sticker is a little over 1700# (see signature below for truck details).
The thinking here was that we wanted as much interior storage as possible and probably won't go with a bed cover (to save some weight.) Obviously our dogs don't need a huge back seat, but this would allow us to carry more items in the cab.

I'll note that the way I've been determining expected payload (it will be an ordered truck) is by looking at the payload ratings for various existing trucks that are optioned similar to what I want and by using the option weight guide from 2019 someone posted on here somewhere.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me it was simple: The 6'4" bed will not fit in a standard residential garage.

My 5'7" bed BARELY squeezes in with literally a few inches to spare when I close the door.

tom318

Reaction score
I went 6'4'' and I'm glad I did. So far everything I've loaded from small atv's to lawn equipment happened to just fit. If I had the 5'7'' I would of been disappointed. It fit in my garage as well, if it hadn't, I most likely would have gone with the shorter. My build has a payload of 1354lbs. Also, the 33gal tank with the Ecodiesel is awesome!

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to be the odd man out here that votes for the 5'7" bed:

1. If you ever want a truck cap it's more available and less money.
2. Since you're not getting the Ram boxes you already have a boatload of storage that 9 extra inches isn't going to make a difference.
3. If you want to park in a garage it will be easier. My truck wouldn't fit in my garage if I had the longer bed.
4. You can carry anything up to 16 feet long in a 5'7" bed with a hitch-mounted extender. I carry 16' deck boards and pressure treated lumber all the time in my "short" bed. I don't break out the extender for anything shorter than 12 feet.
5. It will be a little easier to park and maneuver.
6. Better resale; long-bed trucks are harder to sell and trade in. As handy as they are most people use their trucks for nothing but commuting or the odd Home Depot run and don't want all that extra length (because of garage, parking, etc).
Thanks for the input and new points. I'd forgotten about those hitch-mounted bed extenders.

I've never heard of longer beds being tougher to resell. Is that your observation or is it common knowledge? I've never sold a truck before.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your garage will allow it 6'4" all the way. My garage was too short. I think the 6'4" bed looks more balanced. Mine looks a little stubby, (like other things I have). Plus you have more cargo room.
I posted in another reply that we'd probably be building a garage for the camper and the truck. I think the longer bed would fit in our lower garage (under the house) but there is a brick wall along the carport on one side that might make getting it out a little more of a process. It already requires precision turning when backing out our Grand Cherokee.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The last few trucks I've had were all 5.5' beds and on every trip we took, I found myself wishing I had more room.. On trips my oldest and I don't take alot of room.. but the wife and now youngest seem to take all space they can and then some. So when I went shopping for this truck, shortly after our youngest was born, I had to have the CrewCab and had to have the longer bed. When I first bought her, I did notice the longer bed when going around tight corners and parking.. but now, I just drive it. I cannot think of one time that the longer bed caused me to do anything different than I would have done with the shorter bed.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad to here you are keeping the 8 foot bed.

View attachment 89586
Your gonna miss it if you didn't.

I vote 6'4.
I've thought about just putting the Ford into our company so I'd still have access. Before I really understood payload, a friend and I picked up a one ton pallet of stone. Add 300 pounds of us to the cab and we were well over the payload capacity. It rode low, but we took it slowly on backroads for the thirty minute drive to his house.

Quint

Reaction score
You've got a good list of pros and cons, as well as lots of good advice. Maybe grab a 12" ruler, put your thumb at the 9" mark, and decide if that will really make any difference in what you haul. If not, then cross that off the pros/cons list.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I also vote for the 6’4 bed. First and foremost I just think it looks better & more proportionate. Besides that, it’s super useful. I hardly even use the bed of my truck, but the handful of times I have I’m sure glad I got the 6’4 bed. All the previous people in here had good points as well. I personally don’t think the 6’4 bed trucks have worse resale value though. If anything I’d think the resale would be a little better because they are much more rare and you’ll get people like me who specifically want a long bed. It’s supply and demand.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I found a 2019 version of the option weights and assume it's similar. I've yet to find a Laramie with the diesel that has a payload over the low to mid 1400#s. I really don't see us getting a larger trailer. We are unlikely to ever be full-timers, though I guess you never say never...

We do plan to get it to a scale. A friend had one of those tongue scales and we were at about 500#, without the WDH attached and it weighs maybe 60-80#? Feels like it, anyway. I'd spread the payload in the trailer to aim for 12% at the hitch, unless I find it needs to be more or less to handle better.
Get the VIN, then head HERE. Click "Lookup my vehicle" and paste the VIN and hit "Find." It will give you the max towing and actual payload for the truck you're looking at.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That site has never worked for my truck..
Interesting. It works clean back to 2009. It is spot on for payload. You just have to understand the towing number is not max trailer weight. It is just GCWR minus base weight. You still have to make adjustments for passengers, cargo, and your hitch. Then you also must make sure you have the available payload for tongue weight

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. It works clean back to 2009. It is spot on for payload. You just have to understand the towing number is not max trailer weight. It is just GCWR minus base weight. You still have to make adjustments for passengers, cargo, and your hitch. Then you also must make sure you have the available payload for tongue weight
Totally understand the process, thanks. Just pointing out the site does not work.. bough the truck brand new in Dec 2019.

It doesn't work for my 2500 either, but it was lease/fleet purpose built. Usually it works though.
Atleast I'm not the only one!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Totally understand the process, thanks. Just pointing out the site does not work.. bough the truck brand new in Dec 2019.
That wasnt directed at you. It is just every day 7 or 8 times we have someone not understanding this.

Still interesting that your truck doesnt work in it.

I use it all the time while browsing trucks...1500s 2500s 3500s 2009 to 2021 and have not yet had one not work.

I know at one time a member had to clear their browser to get it to work...but i am sure you tired that.

Sorry.

Imaso001

Reaction score
With the chip shortage, it will likely be a 2022 model, but I'll assume the bed choices are the same. Here are the details, if they help.

• We're getting a truck to pull a 24'9", 6200# max weight, travel trailer--a Lance 2075. Hope to be taking some long trips around the country.
  • I'm going with a Ram 1500 because I like the truck and will use it for other duties, but nothing that would require a 2500.
  • We currently have a 1996 F150 regular cab with an 8' bed and I love being able to carry a lot of stuff. But, I don't know about keeping the Ford just to have for the times I need an 8' bed--I have a 4' x 8' trailer I could use.
  • Don't want the RamBox, which I believe is only available on the 5'7" bed.
  • Will be getting a crew cab (Laramie) EcoDiesel
  • Will get the air suspension

Below is a start on arguments in favor of each length. Please help me think of other things to consider. Note, the question marks indicate I'm not sure its correct.

5'7" Bed
  • More maneuverable/easier to park
  • More payload due to slightly less weight?
  • Shorter wheelbase for better breakover angle, in the rare case I get into an offroad situation where it's an issue?
  • Shorter total length for RV campgrounds--though probably wouldn't come into play that often.
  • I read elsewhere that the driveshaft is two-piece on the longer bed? (This was on the previous generation.) So, possibly fewer moving parts to break?

6'4" Bed
  • More cargo room
  • Longer wheelbase for better stability when towing?
  • Bed extender would allow for items 8' long?

Does anyone know how much payload you lose with the longer bed? That's pretty important to me. If we put our tongue weight at 12% and have the trailer at max weight, that's about 750# of payload consumed. We're not big people and our two traveling companions are beagles, but I'd like to have as much payload as possible--ideally 1350-1400#.
I was set on a 6 4 bed until I drove a crew cab with the 5 7. Parking the truck takes up more space than what is available length wise in a regular parking spot and your nose will be sticking out into the lane about a foot with your back bumper on the line. With the 6 4 it will be out further. Unless you have a need to regularly use those extra 9 inches, you won't notice it. You can also purchase the bed extender for about 350 that adds 15 inches of space to the bed if that problem ever presents itself.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only reason I got the 5’7” over the 6’4”, is the RamBox. You can’t option it on the 6 foot for 5th Gens like you can for the 4th Gens or current HD’s. More bed space is always appreciated in regards to length, but I wanted the Boxes so. It’s all good tho, our HD is a 6 footer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/