5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me decide: 5'7" or 6'4" bed

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the chip shortage, it will likely be a 2022 model, but I'll assume the bed choices are the same. Here are the details, if they help.

• We're getting a truck to pull a 24'9", 6200# max weight, travel trailer--a Lance 2075. Hope to be taking some long trips around the country.
  • I'm going with a Ram 1500 because I like the truck and will use it for other duties, but nothing that would require a 2500.
  • We currently have a 1996 F150 regular cab with an 8' bed and I love being able to carry a lot of stuff. But, I don't know about keeping the Ford just to have for the times I need an 8' bed--I have a 4' x 8' trailer I could use.
  • Don't want the RamBox, which I believe is only available on the 5'7" bed.
  • Will be getting a crew cab (Laramie) EcoDiesel
  • Will get the air suspension

Below is a start on arguments in favor of each length. Please help me think of other things to consider. Note, the question marks indicate I'm not sure its correct.

5'7" Bed
  • More maneuverable/easier to park
  • More payload due to slightly less weight?
  • Shorter wheelbase for better breakover angle, in the rare case I get into an offroad situation where it's an issue?
  • Shorter total length for RV campgrounds--though probably wouldn't come into play that often.
  • I read elsewhere that the driveshaft is two-piece on the longer bed? (This was on the previous generation.) So, possibly fewer moving parts to break?

6'4" Bed
  • More cargo room
  • Longer wheelbase for better stability when towing?
  • Bed extender would allow for items 8' long?

Does anyone know how much payload you lose with the longer bed? That's pretty important to me. If we put our tongue weight at 12% and have the trailer at max weight, that's about 750# of payload consumed. We're not big people and our two traveling companions are beagles, but I'd like to have as much payload as possible--ideally 1350-1400#.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
My argument for 6'4" - which is why I have the longer bed -- is that at some point I may need to sleep in it and I'm not quite short enough for the 5'7" bed. As long as you have a trailer, that's not likely to be an issue.

My argument for the 5'7" bed is where you'll be parking. Break out a tape measure and see just exactly how deep your garage is. I'd be kicking myself forever if I bought the long bed and discovered it's 3" too long to garage it. If neither will fit or the garage is full of other stuff, disregard.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you plan on getting a bigger trailer at some point, then a 2500 might be a good choice. It will also allow you to take more extra stuff with you. But anyways...
I had the 6'4" bed on my 1500(was a need for me) and liked it because I could lay our bikes in there and still close the tonneau cover.
Like you said, 8' lumber will fit better.
Depending on layout of your TT the hitch weight could be higher than that, I'd suggest scaling it.
I don't think 9" is going to make much of a difference in length, either way it's hard to pull into spaces in a tighter parking lot with a truck. I always just parked farther away, backed in or pulled through when I parked.

I think your payload estimate is reasonable on a Laramie, mine was 1650ish. There is a thread around here somewhere that has weights of some of the options but not sure where it is exactly.
For sure some heavy options to avoid: multi-function tailgate, rambox, off road group, sunroof.
Remember adding running boards, tonneau cover/cap etc. will decrease your available payload.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How often will you use the back seats? If you don't need the rear legroom, Quad Cabs all have the 6' 4" bed and are 4" shorter in overall length than a Crew Cab 5' 7" bed (Quad fits in my garage, Crew barely did not). My payload sticker is a little over 1700# (see signature below for truck details).

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 6’4” bed was the primary reason I bought a Ram since so few manufacturers offer the longer beds In crew cab trucks. It’s only a ft but it offers me so much more room in the bed and I believe the ride is better with a longer wheelbase too.

JbVt

Reaction score
I factory ordered my truck last year and got the 5’7” bed. I almost immediately regretted it. My .02 cents

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had both. Had a 2019 Hemi crew cab 4x4 Big horn night edition with 6’-4” bed 3.21 gears and 26 gallon tank. The payload on that truck was 1,715lbs. I started a towing a camper a lot right after I got it and didn’t enjoy the experience due to the 3.21 gears and I wanted the bigger tank.

Now I have an ecodiesel with 3.92 gears and 33 gallon tank but with the 5’-7” bed. My payload on this truck is 1,535lbs. Everything about towing with this truck is a better experience except I do miss that longer bed. I can’t tell the difference in the length when driving or parking or anything.

long story short, if you think you want 6’-4” bed then get it. I can’t think of any reason that you would regret it. My next truck is going to have it again

JbVt

Reaction score
I’ve had both. Had a 2019 Hemi crew cab 4x4 Big horn night edition with 6’-4” bed 3.21 gears and 26 gallon tank. The payload on that truck was 1,715lbs. I started a towing a camper a lot right after I got it and didn’t enjoy the experience due to the 3.21 gears and I wanted the bigger tank.

Now I have an ecodiesel with 3.92 gears and 33 gallon tank but with the 5’-7” bed. My payload on this truck is 1,535lbs. Everything about towing with this truck is a better experience except I do miss that longer bed. I can’t tell the difference in the length when driving or parking or anything.

long story short, if you think you want 6’-4” bed then get it. I can’t think of any reason that you would regret it. My next truck is going to have it again
Perfectly said, if you even think you’ll need once then get it. Wish I would of thought of that with mine.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Concur with above. I’ve had both... previous truck was a 2017 Sport Crew Cab with the 6’4. Advantages... EVERYTHING fit into that bed. Rock solid stable ride. Disadvantages... tougher to park and maneuver... worse fuel economy.
Currently have a 2019 with the 5’7 and zero complaints. The very few times I haven’t been able to accommodate everything into the bed are offset by the everyday easier maneuverability and better MPG with the shorter bed.
I do like the look of the 6’4 bed with the crew cab... looks more proportional.
Good luck with your decision, either way you’ll love the new Ram!

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think most Americans now live and travel in cities or suburbs and if I was in one of those areas and didn't need a 6'4" bed, I'd probably go 5'7" so I could park it easier and get in and out of traffic while still retaining 'crew cab' The thing is, I don't really need a crew cab either. It's just me and my wife and no plans for kids but I have been in the back of extended cab GMC/Fords that are 4 doors but not adult sized 2nd rows and they're pretty painfully cramped like economy class United cramped. I'm 6'3" and I have to turn my knees sideways and down and couldn't sit in one for more than a few miles so I went Crew Cab. Because, where I live, we only have one shopping mall within half an hour and it's a pretty big parking lot, I wasn't worried about the long bed given all of its benefits and since I was ordering a truck anyway, I might as well add it.

For me, the 6'4" bed primarily came down to my motorcycles. We have 4 of them, none of them will fit in a 5'7" bed except sideways but we never travel with just one bike. My wife and I both ride, all of our friends ride and when we aren't riding somewhere, we're driving there and pulling our bikes behind in an open trailer so a lot of the appeal of a RAM crew cab 6'4" bed with air suspension is dropping the thing to its lowest setting, riding the bikes up an ATV style wide-ramp, strapping them down to a rear bar that can accommodate 3 dirt bike front wheels and closing the tail gate putting the ramp between them and putting an adult friend in the back along with some camping gear. At 280 pounds per bike + 3 adults and gear, we're probably pushing it on payload but when you pair that with really no parking issues, it was a no-brainer.

longer bed would have been more important than rear leg room if I had to pick. If we need to bring more than 3 dirt bikes, our group has an enclosed trailer that will hold 4-5 and then the bed is just tents and beer.

I would have liked Ram Boxes but they really do reduce cubic feet of the bed so I'm happy to have gone without them.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would have liked Ram Boxes but they really do reduce cubic feet of the bed so I'm happy to have gone without them.
Just to set you mind at ease, you can't get the Rambox option with the 6"4" bed anyway. No sense even considering having any regrets for not getting them. I really like having them, but I don't use my bed for much anyway.

DOCTORD23

Reaction score
I have the 6’-4” bed crew cab Laramie. Other than being choosy where to park, I think the longer bed is the right decision. I also haul motorcycles in the bed on occasion and have the bed extender for when I haul lumber. There have been many occasions where I hit the road with the bed packed to the brim and bed cover closed. A shorter bed would have meant leaving stuff behind. No regerts :)

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to be the odd man out here that votes for the 5'7" bed:

1. If you ever want a truck cap it's more available and less money.
2. Since you're not getting the Ram boxes you already have a boatload of storage that 9 extra inches isn't going to make a difference.
3. If you want to park in a garage it will be easier. My truck wouldn't fit in my garage if I had the longer bed.
4. You can carry anything up to 16 feet long in a 5'7" bed with a hitch-mounted extender. I carry 16' deck boards and pressure treated lumber all the time in my "short" bed. I don't break out the extender for anything shorter than 12 feet.
5. It will be a little easier to park and maneuver.
6. Better resale; long-bed trucks are harder to sell and trade in. As handy as they are most people use their trucks for nothing but commuting or the odd Home Depot run and don't want all that extra length (because of garage, parking, etc).

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I use my 5x10 landscape style trailer for anything big or bulky..just so much easier to load/unload. So for me I like having the best of both worlds...shorter box, so it fits in garage, and handy trailer, low to the ground.

dlrsavannah

Reaction score
I’d go with 6’4’” as well. I have the 5’7” now but times I’ve used the bed for furniture or whatever I’ve had to leave the tailgate down to fit but with the bigger bed that wouldn’t have been an issue. We just recently bought a 75” tv but of course the box wouldn’t fit length wise. Tailgate down, bungee cords and prayer lol.

Johnny5

Reaction score
I went with the 6'4" cause I have an 05 Silverado with an 8' bed and toolbox and I knew I was going to get rid of it. Rambox wasn't really an option after hearing about them warping over the years. I'm sure the ride is probably a little better on the longer wheelbase but I couldn't imagine the difference of bed lengths making my mpg noticeably better or even easier to park.

Users who are viewing this thread