5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP! - Limited DRL LED Accent Light Not Working Only On Drive Side

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anyone every installed an aftermarket headlight assembly? I'm thinking about trying this, as opposed to buying a used OEM (or even a new OEM) - I'm thinking if these headlights can have this problem for three years (2019-2022) from what I have read here, what guarantee that another OEM wouldn't fail?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B82JMN66/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A3PSKZ2DQ7ULX1&th=1
One question, do the pods inside move like the factory ones do. I don't see anywhere where it says so.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One question, do the pods inside move like the factory ones do. I don't see anywhere where it says so.
I think you can turn that feature off also that feature only works I think at 25 mph and below when turning

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think you can turn that feature off also that feature only works I think at 25 mph and below when turning
I'm asking because I like the idea of the head lights turning, and adjusting height with load. Part of the reason going Limited, over Laramie. I want replacement that do.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm asking because I like the idea of the head lights turning, and adjusting height with load. Part of the reason going Limited, over Laramie. I want replacement that do.
Sounds like you should pay the premium price and just go oem.

55Trucker

Reaction score
I have a question into 3 of the resellers asking about the steering directed feature. So far I have received one "I don't know".

I did find that partsgeek resells refurbished OEM headlight assemblies for a little over $400, and have a 30 day return/1 year warranty. As far as the left one is concerned, they have only one in stock. But it seems like a good place to keep checking.

YgrEngr

Reaction score
You can add another to the list of LED accent strips not working. Drivers side on my ‘19 Limited went out and I’m over at the dealership now. Service Dept gave me the “well, they (FCA) usually don’t cover it, but we will call”.

Cannot believe I am back in a dealership again. I didn’t post but the engine oil cooler crapped out three months ago and spit oil into the coolant causing the truck to overheat and spit what looked like chocolate milk out the overflow. Lost the use of it for a month, but at least it was covered by my extended warranty.

55k miles…smh…so what’s going out next on this fully loaded RAM?

Starting to see why my neighbor got rid of his RAM after two years and got an F150.

[mention]RamCares [/mention] - I assume I will be DM’ing you shortly from Videon Ram in Newtown Square, PA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55Trucker

Reaction score
One reseller of the aftermarket assembly got back to me and told me that the steering directed function is not supported. My guess is that all of these aftermarket ones are made by the same manufacturer, because the ads are almost identical.

Regarding replacing with a new OEM assembly for $1200 for the part, the thing that bothers me about that is a) a bunch of us have this problem, and b) FCA has not admitted a problem. This issue is not the same as a light bulb burning out, IMO. I'd be inclined to buy a new OEM one too, even at this price, but if it has the same issue lurking in it and it pops up a year or two from now, I don't think I would be happy. Fact is, going through the effort and expense of putting either a new or used OEM assembly in means that the risk of it failing too is there and apparently significant (looks at the length of this thread). I'd feel much better if MOPAR fixed the issue, and bumped the revision of the part, before I would buy anything.

My guess is that the problem lies in one of those "ballast" modules that someone mentioned earlier in this thread. My son's Audi A3 had an LED strip turn yellow and then go out on his drivers headlight. The problem was a "ballast" module, but you could buy just the module from Audi or aftermarket, i.e., you can fix the problem with the headlight without throwing out the headlight assembly. Why doesn't MOPAR sell this part? @RamCares, please help?

Last edited:

YgrEngr

Reaction score
Update on the LED accent light issue, it was of course DENIED by FCA on the extended warranty. I called and after a bunch of explaining and being told there was "nothing they could do", I finally got a Customer Care case opened up. After getting ready for a long battle over this the dealership actually called me again and said they would like to try and handle it under a "good will" policy and would cover the replacement. Pretty damn nice of them seeing how I didn't purchase the truck from them!

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I have to chime in on this. I had my drivers side DRL strips not lighting and my drivers fog light not lighting and my drivers side yellow side marker light not lighting when remote starting. Actual headlight LEDs worked fine. All before my 3/36 expired. By mistake they replaced the passenger side headlight assembly and foglight which I found out when I went to pick it up as "fixed" All under warranty. Well when I showed them the problem was on the drivers side, they took it back and next day said it was Body Control Module, and that fixed it.. And I got a brand new passengers side LED headlight assembly and LED foglight thrown in.

So it seems there can be multiple causes possibly for these issues. And mine was the BCM.

Wxguru

Reaction score
Add another 2019 to the list. And I just bought this truck in August used.
I do have the top of the line aftermarket warranty with $200 deductible.

Driver side LED accents out. Come on for a split second when starting Truck, then goes off. Blinker works perfectly fine.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add another 2019 to the list. And I just bought this truck in August used.
I do have the top of the line aftermarket warranty with $200 deductible.

Driver side LED accents out. Come on for a split second when starting Truck, then goes off. Blinker works perfectly fine.
Dang that sucks. What extended warranty are you referring to?

Dujack

Reaction score
Add me to the list 🙄. 2019 limited. Just purchased in July. Light started going out a month after purchasing, of course. Dealer quoted me 1325 for a replacement. Unfortunately I am outside of any warranty and didn’t purchase an extended. There are no aftermarket options from what I understand. Between the cracking exhaust manifolds and these lights I’m not sure I made a good purchase with these rams.(1st for me)
Ive read this entire thread and can’t believe they haven’t done anything about these known issues.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add me to the list . 2019 limited. Just purchased in July. Light started going out a month after purchasing, of course. Dealer quoted me 1325 for a replacement. Unfortunately I am outside of any warranty and didn’t purchase an extended. There are no aftermarket options from what I understand. Between the cracking exhaust manifolds and these lights I’m not sure I made a good purchase with these rams.(1st for me)
Ive read this entire thread and can’t believe they haven’t done anything about these known issues.
Ford and Chevy have known issues...it's really a roll of the dice these days. I've had two '19 Rams, my first had the fuel fill issue and I got rid of it before it was resolved.

My '16 F150 had the frozen door locks, where the doors wouldn't open or sometimes close.

My '14 F150 ate a turbo.

So far, my '19 Ram Limited has been trouble free, although I did put some Permatex over the rear window just in case. And that's with my buying the factory extended warranty.

auggiedoggies

Reaction score
Just wanted to pop in and say that I was able to get a full headlight replacement covered for this exact issue on my 19 Limited with Mopar Maxcare extended warranty. They denied it at first, I told the dealership they need to call in and explain that it's an issue specific with the Limited LED's. Somehow it got covered. Super happy.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wanted to pop in and say that I was able to get a full headlight replacement covered for this exact issue on my 19 Limited with Mopar Maxcare extended warranty. They denied it at first, I told the dealership they need to call in and explain that it's an issue specific with the Limited LED's. Somehow it got covered. Super happy.
Dam lucky 🍀

2020RamOwner

Reaction score
Add another to the list. Ill remote start and when im walking up to it I notice the lower LED on my driver side is not on. I can usually press the unlock or lock and it will flash yellow and then power on. Using turn signals usually turn it back on too. I noticed today as I was sitting in my truck in front of a window that it was not coming on. I have about 62k miles and never had an issue with it. Surely someone somewhere knows how to fix it without having to replace the whole assembly. I saw parts numbers a few pages back but it sounded like those didn't help.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add another to the list. Ill remote start and when im walking up to it I notice the lower LED on my driver side is not on. I can usually press the unlock or lock and it will flash yellow and then power on. Using turn signals usually turn it back on too. I noticed today as I was sitting in my truck in front of a window that it was not coming on. I have about 62k miles and never had an issue with it. Surely someone somewhere knows how to fix it without having to replace the whole assembly. I saw parts numbers a few pages back but it sounded like those didn't help.
Only 2 fixes I know of. Replace the whole assembly or open it up and replace the board.

Users who are viewing this thread