5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP! - Limited DRL LED Accent Light Not Working Only On Drive Side

eyler34

Reaction score
I have had the headlight accent lights/DRL on the driver side of my Limited stopped working. The driver side still flashes yellow and will come on for a second when using remote start, but then goes off. The passenger side stays on all the time when it's on like it always has. It looks really janky for a $65k truck. I went through all the fuses, but the fact it still flashes when started makes me think it's something else.

Please help!!!

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My guess is bad headlight and the unit needs to be replaced. To my knowledge, there isn't even a way to program the left headlight separately from the right in the computer.

Definitely look at doing that under warranty if you're still in the bumper-to-bumper. If not, used headlights (Longhorn and Limited LED style) typically go for $500-$600 on eBay recently with all tabs intact. If you're willing to overlook a single broken tab, then you may be able to drop down to $400-$500.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have had the headlight accent lights/DRL on the driver side of my Limited stopped working. The driver side still flashes yellow and will come on for a second when using remote start, but then goes off. The passenger side stays on all the time when it's on like it always has. It looks really janky for a $65k truck. I went through all the fuses, but the fact it still flashes when started makes me think it's something else.

Please help!!!
Is it only during the day when the headlights are off that the accent lights are not working on the driver side? Do they work when the headlights or parking lights are on?

eyler34

Reaction score
Is it only during the day when the headlights are off that the accent lights are not working on the driver side? Do they work when the headlights or parking lights are on?
No it's all the time, day or night. When i use the remote start, the upper flashes yellow like it's working. Then the top strip will go white for a split second and then go out.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’d say take it to the dealer. BTW, they’re just accent lights, not DRLs. ;)

eyler34

Reaction score
I’d say take it to the dealer. BTW, they’re just accent lights, not DRLs. ;)
ya ya haha. After more digging I found the correct terminology. I have 40k on it. Dealer isn't sure if it's FCA will warranty it. They had me call FCA. I'm taking it in for a "diagnostic" test and then FCA will determine if they will warranty it. Annoying on a new(ish) vehicle....oh well.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
ya ya haha. After more digging I found the correct terminology. I have 40k on it. Dealer isn't sure if it's FCA will warranty it. They had me call FCA. I'm taking it in for a "diagnostic" test and then FCA will determine if they will warranty it. Annoying on a new(ish) vehicle....oh well.
Good luck to you. Hope they give you a break.

wvinson

Reaction score
my '19 Limited does the same thing except it's the bottom strip on the accent lighting the driver's side. The weird thing is, it only does it sporadically. Sometimes it's on, sometimes off. My dealer just told me they would have to replace the headlight assembly under warranty. They said something about a bad LED circuit.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
These LED brows are kinda silly. I think it is a single LED at the end that lights up the whole brow instead of multiple. I was gonna blame the LED and say replace it, but the fact it flashes white makes me think its a board issue with the light.
I would say they thought this through in the design and did not design it that they are not modular and need to replace a $1k+ fixture over a single LED, but. . . . .
That being said, I have seen PLENTY of Durango's and Jeeps with their rear tail light trims and rings not lighting up right, so it may just be an FCA thing and their design.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No it's all the time, day or night. When i use the remote start, the upper flashes yellow like it's working. Then the top strip will go white for a split second and then go out.
There are two circuits from the BCM feeding the drivers for the white LED strips- the parking light circuit, and the signature lighting circuit. I wouldn’t think both of the circuits would die on the BCM, so it’s most likely the driver board for them in the headlamp housing. If warranty doesn’t come through, and you’re capable of changing the headlight housing, eBay and car-part are littered with these headlights pulled from wrecked trucks.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That being said, I have seen PLENTY of Durango's and Jeeps with their rear tail light trims and rings not lighting up right, so it may just be an FCA thing and their design.

I've seen plenty of Ford and GM LEDs/strips do it as well, but you're right, the Durango/Charger/Challenger rear LEDs seem to be a little more predisposed to having partial failures.
I haven't seen a lot of Jeeps with the issue yet.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I've seen plenty of Ford and GM LEDs/strips do it as well, but you're right, the Durango/Charger/Challenger rear LEDs seem to be a little more predisposed to having partial failures.
I haven't seen a lot of Jeeps with the issue yet.
I think the Jeeps I saw was the real cheap one. What are they called? Renegades maybe? The real ugly little ones.
Mostly Dodge branded stuff though on the rears though.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the Jeeps I saw was the real cheap one. What are they called? Renegades maybe? The real ugly little ones.
Mostly Dodge branded stuff though on the rears though.

If you're talking the little squared off ones that look like a Compass and a Wrangler had a baby, yup!
1609530801035.png 1609530827333.png

Lights Out

Reaction score
having similar issue, keep up posted on how you make out

eyler34

Reaction score
So the solution....a whole new head light assembly. FCA had me take it in for a diagnostic test and that's what it revealed apparently. I spoke to FCA several times to try to get it covered under warranty. I basically wore them down. I've also been a life long FCA owner and threatened to switch if something wasn't done. They offered to pay half of the parts and labor. I accepted as I felt that was fair...technically they didn't have to do anything.

I scheduled my appointment with the dealership and they said it would only take 1-1.5hrs. I even questioned them on the phone and they said it wasn't a big deal. Took it in yesterday planning to wait. 20min later the service advisor asked if I wanted a loaner because they "have to take the whole damn front off". I laughed and said yep that's what the internet said. I'll ask how often they've seen this when I pick it up today.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So the solution....a whole new head light assembly. FCA had me take it in for a diagnostic test and that's what it revealed apparently. I spoke to FCA several times to try to get it covered under warranty. I basically wore them down. I've also been a life long FCA owner and threatened to switch if something wasn't done. They offered to pay half of the parts and labor. I accepted as I felt that was fair...technically they didn't have to do anything.

I scheduled my appointment with the dealership and they said it would only take 1-1.5hrs. I even questioned them on the phone and they said it wasn't a big deal. Took it in yesterday planning to wait. 20min later the service advisor asked if I wanted a loaner because they "have to take the whole damn front off". I laughed and said yep that's what the internet said. I'll ask how often they've seen this when I pick it up today.
Hi there!

We heard that you were currently working with one of our Ram dealers. Please feel free to keep us updated on the status of your vehicle or reach out if you happen to need additional support while working with them. We hope your dealer is able to resolve things quickly!

Courtney
Ram Cares

hessclark

Reaction score
Any updates on this or anyone else having the same issue? My drivers side accent light is doing the same thing. It will flash and then turn off while the passenger side works fine. Dealer declined to cover it under warranty since I had just passed my mileage limit even though the issue happened prior to going out of warranty.

wvinson

Reaction score
Mine now have started to switch sides not working -- and then sometimes they're both on -- crazy -- but they are never off at the same time

Rburns1877

Reaction score
My '19 Limited just started this. I called the dealership today to ask if warranty covered the light not knowing that it briefly came on at startup. I then stumbled upon this thread, I only have 19k miles and plan to speak to service department this week about this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread