5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig Sway Bar Purchase$$$$

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, what setting is everyone running this on? I would think the first setting would be nearly stock wouldn't it?

Who is running in the middle setting and who runs this at it's stiffest setting?

The softest setting is noticeably stiffer than stock. I run the middle position for general drive-ability. I used the stiffest setting for a while but rough roads caused a lot of side to side jerkiness that I don't need.

The stock bar is too soft for street driving in any large city. It allows the rear end to sway side-to-side more than most prefer. Now if you are off road then the stock bar is what you probably want, but if you rarely see dirt/gravel and appreciate lane changes with authority, then this is the best bang for the buck. Many on the forum have upgraded to this bar and I can't recall one saying "eh?" This upgrade has a very high satisfaction rating.

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I do have a rebel and plenty of offroading that can be done here in AZ, but I just bought a brand new Honda CRF450L so more than likely I'll be doing more offroading with that, than my Rebel. Thanks for the feedback!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the first time I have heard of this mod. What are the benefits?
The major benefit is that it eliminates the horrible body roll that the the stock trucks have in turns. For example, I used to make turns wide and had to slow down quite a bit to feel comfortable in the turns because the body roll made the truck feel unstable. With the Hellwig, body roll is limited and the whole truck (not just the rear) feels more planted on turns; it feels more stable and controllable. It is a HUGE difference. My son even noticed it as a passenger when he came home from college...he mentioned that he could feel the difference as a passenger and also noted that he could tell it "handled like a sports car" because of how it affected my driving by increasing my confidence in the truck in turns. Its hard to believe that something so simple can make such a big difference....but it does. Trust me, I didn't beleive it until I got one; it was a huge improvement to the handling. I run on the middle setting and am happy with it. I'm sure it would be fine on the softest setting as well.

CrzyDmnd

Reaction score
I run mine on the stiffest setting. It's a huge improvement over stock but I wish I could go even stiffer, lol. There is definitely truth in that the heavier trim levels (like my Longhorn) benefit from the stiffer settings.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I run mine on the stiffest setting. It's a huge improvement over stock but I wish I could go even stiffer, lol. There is definitely truth in that the heavier trim levels (like my Longhorn) benefit from the stiffer settings.
I agree. I run on the stiffest setting and if there was another setting that made it even stiffer I would try that. But this makes the truck sooo much more fun to drive. Between this, the pedal commander, S&B intake and louder Magnaflow my Longhorn is as close to the perfect truck FOR ME as I am likely to ever have

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too purchased my hellwig from Amazon. I run it in the middle holes. I plan go to stiffest setting once boating season hits just to feel the difference if any.

sawyer84

Reaction score
I bought this for my 2014 Ram and loved it. I'm bored at work and decided to pull the trigger on this for my 2019 Ram. I bought it from Amazon and it will be here tomorrow, can't wait to install it.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I picked mine up as an Amazon Warehouse deal for under $200. Someone had bought and returned it but it was never installed. I figured it would be like new, and it was.

I run it on the stiffest setting and I can confirm the handling through turns is flatter than stock. The truck feels more planted in everyday driving. No downside that I can tell.

I tow a travel trailer often. When towing there is a slight improvement in stability but not much in my opinion.

19TXLimited

Reaction score
I picked mine up as an Amazon Warehouse deal for under $200. Someone had bought and returned it but it was never installed. I figured it would be like new, and it was.

I run it on the stiffest setting and I can confirm the handling through turns is flatter than stock. The truck feels more planted in everyday driving. No downside that I can tell.

I tow a travel trailer often. When towing there is a slight improvement in stability but not much in my opinion.

I am actually hoping I can find this as a warehouse deal too. Got my Daystar kit as a warehouse deal for $63 plus tax compared to $99. Can't beat those Amazon Warehouse deals, but it is always a trade off...do I NEED it now, or can I wait till the Warehouse deal pops up...depends on how hungry the mod bug is that day I suppose.

mtpockets

Reaction score
Watch Ebay as well. I just got mine for $125 previously enjoyed by a 2014 owner. If you can find somebody selling one from a 4th gen it's the same bar. It's well worth the money either way.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Reviving this thread. Hellwig says they don't support the 2021 yet. However, I think we all know that the 2021 RAM is no different than the 2019-2020 RAMs.

Anyone put this on a 2021 yet? When those that have it say it makes the truck more fun to drive and to put it on the stiffest setting...not sure what "more fun" really means? How is it more "fun" to drive?

Thanks!

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reviving this thread. Hellwig says they don't support the 2021 yet. However, I think we all know that the 2021 RAM is no different than the 2019-2020 RAMs.

Anyone put this on a 2021 yet? When those that have it say it makes the truck more fun to drive and to put it on the stiffest setting...not sure what "more fun" really means? How is it more "fun" to drive?

Thanks!
Just handles better (feels more planted) in the corners. I guess some may equate "more fun" to driving faster on windy roads and not have that body roll! I personally thought the stiffest setting was a bit much so I keep it on the middle setting. I purchased mine strictly for towing and it certainly helped with the rear end slop especially with having a lifted truck.
You should have the same feel no matter 19, 20 or 21.

Last edited:

obrien

Reaction score
Anyone knows the torque you should apply when mounting it? I feel a little uneasy to just eyeballs it

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Who has the best deal on these right now?
Good question. Every site i have been to has it for the exact same price: $269.30. I saw one last month for $255 and thought I would wait to find it cheaper, looks like I'll be waiting for a while...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got excited that Autoanything.com sent me a 20% off my next order. Went to order and the 20% off coupon code will not apply to Hellwig as they are forced to provide price protection and cannot discount. That's why all that we see on-line are at $270 and nothing less...at the moment ;) I am actually trying to negotiate with a few guys on eBay to see what I can come up with.

Users who are viewing this thread