5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlight Assembly

Stony0604

Reaction score
Looks Good!!! :cool:

How long did it take you to install?

Could you take a picture of the LED's on in the daytime... Thanks...
it took me about 2-1/2 hours, start to finish but this was me never doing this type of thing before, and no installation manual because they didn't come with one haha. I also opted to not go with the DRL's (maybe later) but they do come on when the headlights are on. I'll post a daytime pic of them on in a little bit.

Stony0604

Reaction score
with lights on

Attachments

• 15791238579008124643650450194684.jpg
    15791238579008124643650450194684.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 436
  • 15791239100265328563274126177926.jpg
    15791239100265328563274126177926.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 429

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
No offense but why go through all the trouble and not upgrade the headlight bulbs at the same time.

So for those curious about the light output - it would depend on the bulb chosen. These appear to come with halogens. Assuming most people would want to upgrade the entire light including full led or led/xenon bulb conversion.

Im not sure if the turn signal is led or not. But it looks like at the least it gives you the led "day lignt/halo" and the headlight housings LOOK like the highest level oem lights that turn when you steer although these are stationary.

So if it were me I would be considering what headlight bulb and possibly turn signal to use with this setup. As the other poster said there is alot of discussion out there about using led bulbs in Halogen designed reflectors. Xenons may be a safer bet - start you research based on what bulbs worked with the 4th gen,.

I had a 4th gen Ram with the fancy oem lights that had led turn signals and inexplicably halogen head lights - I "upgraded" to led but actually lost light. Not to say this all cant be done but it may be a little research and trial and error involve.

Looks like a project I would be interested if I had the oem halogen lights.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those were the worst. Seriously, the worst haha
Tell me about it, I’ve had mine off three times. If it’s any consolation, it’s a little easier each time! I assume if you do decide to swap the bulbs at a later date it can be done without removing the entire enclosures?

Stony0604

Reaction score
Tell me about it, I’ve had mine off three times. If it’s any consolation, it’s a little easier each time! I assume if you do decide to swap the bulbs at a later date it can be done without removing the entire enclosures?
yeah it appears so. I'm actually not unhappy with what came with it. The DRLs give off a lot of light at night so the color is a whiter one

Stony0604

Reaction score
No offense but why go through all the trouble and not upgrade the headlight bulbs at the same time.

So for those curious about the light output - it would depend on the bulb chosen. These appear to come with halogens. Assuming most people would want to upgrade the entire light including full led or led/xenon bulb conversion.

Im not sure if the turn signal is led or not. But it looks like at the least it gives you the led "day lignt/halo" and the headlight housings LOOK like the highest level oem lights that turn when you steer although these are stationary.

So if it were me I would be considering what headlight bulb and possibly turn signal to use with this setup. As the other poster said there is alot of discussion out there about using led bulbs in Halogen designed reflectors. Xenons may be a safer bet - start you research based on what bulbs worked with the 4th gen,.

I had a 4th gen Ram with the fancy oem lights that had led turn signals and inexplicably halogen head lights - I "upgraded" to led but actually lost light. Not to say this all cant be done but it may be a little research and trial and error involve.

Looks like a project I would be interested if I had the oem halogen lights.
I wanted to see what they were like out of the box. they aren't bad

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It appears to be as bright as stock and with the DRL's it is an improvement in the color temperature. (5000K Range)

Did you wire the DRL's to the starter so they come on when the truck is cranked?

Firebird

Reaction score
Are you still looking the headlights, any more feedback?

tpolitt1

Reaction score
Has anyone looked into after market LED's? I recently bought a 2019 Big Horn and love it. Unfortunately, it had everything I wanted except the LED's. I am talking about the whole assembly.

JDiMassa8

Reaction score
There’s a new headlight assembly AlphaRex Pro lights. Seem pretty nice. I just swapped mine from the halogen lights to the OEM RAM headlights. It looks great.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got them Installed today!!!

Thanks again Stony0604 for making me aware of this option. The Reflector lights just didn't look right in a modern truck. I also missed having the DRL's. I had a 1999 Chevy Z71 Silvererado before I purchased this truck that had the DRL and they make a big difference being seen on the road during the day, especially in a silver or bronze colored truck. The only time I had an issue with the Silverado was when one of them was out. People would start pulling out in front of me because they thought I was turning and had a blinker on. Shouldn't have to worry about that with LED Daytime Running Lights.

Did not have any instruction so it took awhile for me to figure out fuse to tap for the DRL's.

RamPatriotHeadlights.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread