5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlight Assembly

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got them Installed today!!!

Thanks again Stony0604 for making me aware of this option. The Reflector lights just didn't look right in a modern truck. I also missed having the DRL's. I had a 1999 Chevy Z71 Silvererado before I purchased this truck that had the DRL and they make a big difference being seen on the road during the day, especially in a silver or bronze colored truck. The only time I had an issue with the Silverado was when one of them was out. People would start pulling out in front of me because they thought I was turning and had a blinker on. Shouldn't have to worry about that with LED Daytime Running Lights.

Did not have any instruction so it took awhile for me to figure out fuse to tap for the DRL's.

View attachment 46566
Looks good. The stripes on the hood look pretty cool too. You have more pics?

Stony0604

Reaction score

Thanks again Stony0604 for making me aware of this option. The Reflector lights just didn't look right in a modern truck. I also missed having the DRL's. I had a 1999 Chevy Z71 Silvererado before I purchased this truck that had the DRL and they make a big difference being seen on the road during the day, especially in a silver or bronze colored truck. The only time I had an issue with the Silverado was when one of them was out. People would start pulling out in front of me because they thought I was turning and had a blinker on. Shouldn't have to worry about that with LED Daytime Running Lights.

Did not have any instruction so it took awhile for me to figure out fuse to tap for the DRL's.

View attachment 46566
Looks good!

B.Ras

Reaction score

View attachment 46566

Which fuse did you use and where is it located? Any tips for us that are looking into doing this upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which fuse did you use and where is it located? Any tips for us that are looking into doing this upgrade?

When I ordered the AlphaRex PRO-Series Headlights, I noticed that they did not have any installation instructions posted on there website. So I contacted the Tech Support at AlphaRex. They told me to use the F66 fuse. Which is valid for the 4thGenRams but not the 5thGenRams. After he told me that he did not know which fuse to tap, he said that I could wire it to any 10 Amp - 20 Amp fuse that would come on with the starter.

When I saw that the fuse that was on the pigtail for the DRL's was a 15 AMP fuse I went with a 15-20 Amp fuse. I tested the fuse box with my Multi-Meter to figure out which one I could use that would only turn on when the truck was running. Most of the fuses had power all of the time. The only one that I could find was a F60 Fuse : ECM / PCM / ACT Short Running Valve.

Since this is a critical fuse I decided to use a fuse tap so that the tap was clean.
Our trucks use the Micro 2 Fuse
You can pick one up here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some pics of the install:
Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg
RAM Fuse Box.jpg
Here is a link to the Headlights: I purchased the Black but they have three options: Black / Chrome / Jet Black
AplhaRex.com

Last edited:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This Document was also helpful in removing the grill / fascia.

You will have to open up the wheelhouse splash shields to remove the headlights.

This install is not for the weak of heart.

Attachments

• Grille - Removal and Installation (1).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 92

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This may also be helpful:

This is the instructions from Retro Shop for installing their halogen to OEM LED adapter.

They say to use F35 for DRL's which also works.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This may also be helpful:

This is the instructions from Retro Shop for installing their halogen to OEM LED adapter.

They say to use F35 for DRL's which also works.
moosem,
Thanks for sharing this write-up from Retro Shop it is a great guide.

Wish I had seen it prior to my install it would have shaved an hour off my install time.

I would not use F35 because it uses a 10 Amp fuse and the in-line fuse that comes with the AlphaRex DRL's is a 15 Amp fuse.

I think this might under power the LED's and you would not get the correct lumen brightness.

The logic behind me choosing the F60 fuse is because it is a 20 Amp fuse which can be stepped down by the in-line harness fuse but it can not be stepped up from a 10 Amp fuse.

The Retro Shop might not require 15 Amp for their DRL.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
moosem,
Thanks for sharing this write-up from Retro Shop it is a great guide.

Wish I had seen it prior to my install it would have shaved an hour off my install time.

I would not use F35 because it uses a 10 Amp fuse and the in-line fuse that comes with the AlphaRex DRL's is a 15 Amp fuse.

I think this might under power the LED's and you would not get the correct lumen brightness.

The logic behind me choosing the F60 fuse is because it is a 20 Amp fuse which can be stepped down by the in-line harness fuse but it can not be stepped up from a 10 Amp fuse.

The Retro Shop might not require 15 Amp for their DRL.
Interestingly enough, I asked Jeremy at Retro Shop about that when I installed mine because the instructions say F35 is a 15A fuse but, like you said, it’s only 10A. He told me to leave as is so I did. The harness is to retrofit OEM LEDs to trucks that came stock with halogens. My DRLs / accent lights are just as bright as all the other ones that I’ve seen, which is to say that they are not that bright.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I asked Jeremy at Retro Shop about that when I installed mine because the instructions say F35 is a 15A fuse but, like you said, it’s only 10A. He told me to leave as is so I did. The harness is to retrofit OEM LEDs to trucks that came stock with halogens. My DRLs / accent lights are just as bright as all the other ones that I’ve seen, which is to say that they are not that bright.
I noticed that the stock DRL's are not very bright. As you can see from my previous picture. The AlphaRex DRL's are twice the brightness.

B.Ras

Reaction score
When I ordered the AlphaRex PRO-Series Headlights, I noticed that they did not have any installation instructions posted on there website. So I contacted the Tech Support at AlphaRex. They told me to use the F66 fuse. Which is valid for the 4thGenRams but not the 5thGenRams. After he told me that he did not know which fuse to tap, he said that I could wire it to any 10 Amp - 20 Amp fuse that would come on with the starter.

When I saw that the fuse that was on the pigtail for the DRL's was a 15 AMP fuse I went with a 15-20 Amp fuse. I tested the fuse box with my Multi-Meter to figure out which one I could use that would only turn on when the truck was running. Most of the fuses had power all of the time. The only one that I could find was a F60 Fuse : ECM / PCM / ACT Short Running Valve.

Since this is a critical fuse I decided to use a fuse tap so that the tap was clean.
Our trucks use the Micro 2 Fuse
You can pick one up here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some pics of the install:
View attachment 46629
View attachment 46630
Here is a link to the Headlights: I purchased the Black but they have three options: Black / Chrome / Jet Black
https://alpharexusa.com/?wpam_id=1073

Thanks for the detailed information, it is greatly appreciated.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed information, it is greatly appreciated.

I thought of another item that I forgot to mention during the install.

The side marker lamps on the OEM Halogen Headlights that come with our Rams have a separate harness for the side marker halogen bulb.

The AlphaRex Headlights do not have a place to plug in those lights, like they do on the older models.
So I just plugged the main harness into the lights and cranked the truck up to see if it shot up an error code for that bulb and also checked to see if the side markers fired up.
(They did with no error codes)

So I put electric tape around the side marker harnesses and zip tied them to the frame to keep them dry.

The side markers, DRL's and turn signals are all LED (The turn signals are sequential).

The headlight and high beam that come with the unit are H7 Halogen bulbs as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm very pleased with the headlights so far. (y)

Stony0604

Reaction score
I thought of another item that I forgot to mention during the install.

The side marker lamps on the OEM Halogen Headlights that come with our Rams have a separate harness for the side marker halogen bulb.

The AlphaRex Headlights do not have a place to plug in those lights, like they do on the older models.
So I just plugged the main harness into the lights and cranked the truck up to see if it shot up an error code for that bulb and also checked to see if the side markers fired up.
(They did with no error codes)

So I put electric tape around the side marker harnesses and zip tied them to the frame to keep them dry.

The side markers, DRL's and turn signals are all LED (The turn signals are sequential).

The headlight and high beam that come with the unit are H7 Halogen bulbs as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm very pleased with the headlights so far. (y)
Did you stick with the out of the box halogen bulbs as well, or did you swap them to LED? Thanks for the info on the F60 fuse tap, i'll probably get mine set up in the next couple of weeks. Debating on switching out the bulbs while i'm in there, but i'm not unhappy with the new halogens.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you stick with the out of the box halogen bulbs as well, or did you swap them to LED? Thanks for the info on the F60 fuse tap, i'll probably get mine set up in the next couple of weeks. Debating on switching out the bulbs while i'm in there, but i'm not unhappy with the new halogens.
I have the H7 bulbs that came with the headlights currently in the headlights, but I was thinking about switching them out with these Philips H11 CrystalVision Ultra Upgrade Bright White Headlight Bulb. They should give us the same brightness as a LED.

gtlngclntn14

Reaction score
it took me about 2-1/2 hours, start to finish but this was me never doing this type of thing before, and no installation manual because they didn't come with one haha. I also opted to not go with the DRL's (maybe later) but they do come on when the headlights are on. I'll post a daytime pic of them on in a little bit.
How did you learn how to install them? Mine arrived today but i dont know how to install and cant find a install guided anywhere.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did you learn how to install them? Mine arrived today but i dont know how to install and cant find a install guided anywhere.
This link from the retro shop will show you how to remove and install your headlights.

Here is a PDF on how to remove your grill:

Attachments

• Grille - Removal and Installation (1).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 27

Stony0604

Reaction score
I have the H7 bulbs that came with the headlights currently in the headlights, but I was thinking about switching them out with these Philips H11 CrystalVision Ultra Upgrade Bright White Headlight Bulb. They should give us the same brightness as a LED.
Forgive my ignorance, but will the H11's work even though the old bulb is a H7? I'm not sure what the different numbers mean obviously. Also, what the heck is up with the 30%, 60%, or 100% more vision?? lol

Users who are viewing this thread