5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hazards flashing/Horn honking while in park?

Wolfman

Reaction score
just happened to me today. Sitting in the truck on lunch with the ac on and truck honked once flashers started going off and the dash went to the tire pressure screen. 2020 rebel 5500 miles. Anyone take it in for a fix?
Just took possession of a 2021 Ram 1500 crew. 35 miles on the odometer and my horn is blowing with the 4 ways flashing at a stop with the engine idling. The tire pressure screen comes up and I said WTH? Driving it back to the dealer and it happened intermittently three times at traffic lights over the 20 minute drive. First time the guy ahead of me heard my horn and began driving into the intersection till he realized the light was still red! At the next traffic light stop the fella in front gave me a finger salute when my horn went off! Well I made it alive to the dealer and they asked if I could come back on Wednesday I said yes but not with this truck. So got a loaner and hope this can be fixed as it appears, from this thread, it’s a long ongoing problem.

DSN46

Reaction score
Just took possession of a 2021 Ram 1500 crew. 35 miles on the odometer and my horn is blowing with the 4 ways flashing at a stop with the engine idling. The tire pressure screen comes up and I said WTH? Driving it back to the dealer and it happened intermittently three times at traffic lights over the 20 minute drive. First time the guy ahead of me heard my horn and began driving into the intersection till he realized the light was still red! At the next traffic light stop the fella in front gave me a finger salute when my horn went off! Well I made it alive to the dealer and they asked if I could come back on Wednesday I said yes but not with this truck. So got a loaner and hope this can be fixed as it appears, from this thread, it’s a long ongoing problem.
Please let us know if the dealer comes up with an answer. This thread isn't the only place I've seen this complaint... plus it has happened to my truck also.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The joys of driving a computer on wheels - that has no CTRL-ALT-DELETE button to reset it when it goes haywire.

Wolfman

Reaction score
Please let us know if the dealer comes up with an answer. This thread isn't the only place I've seen this complaint... plus it has happened to my truck also.
I will. I hear the complaints on this site but no follow through. I’ll know more late Wednesday.

Wolfman

Reaction score
Its Wednesday and the service department finished up with my truck. Mechanic opened Star Case # 101847172. Nation service agent suggested to disable the tire fill alert. Then only enable tire fill alert when filling tires. Service rep said there is no fix but to disable. I know it's been a known problem for over 3 years. I have no idea on how this system works anyhow. I'll use a tire gauge. Seemed to do the trick. No horns going off! No problems going home! I let you know if it happens again in the future.

2020RAMLTD5.7

Reaction score
This happened to me once minus the horn honking.
Just parked in the driveway after work and was on a uconnect call and the flashers randomly began to go off. The hazard button was unresponsive and the lights flashed for a couple minutes before stopping on their own. The truck was running and I was on a call this whole time.
Just had this happen 2 me today,while parked and truck idling. Hazards came on,the button for them didn't respond to me trying 2 turn them off. No horn honk. Tire pressure screen on display. Reading these comments, it's probably like every1 is saying, truck noticed tire psi increase and also hasn't moved for a while,figured I was filling a tire.

Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 Built to serve edition less then 5k miles... This issue has happened to me over a dozen times... I’ve had it in the shop 4 times... they’ve replaced the “antenna wire” and “ignition module.” Still happens... I’m pretty over it... I’ve been a ford owner my whole life and this is the first Ram I’ve ever had and more then likely the last... I love this truck but it’s insane to me to have a brand new truck in the shop for multiple reasons in under 5k miles... I also had to have the sunroof fixed after my daughter and I got soaked in our first car wash🤦🏻‍♂️... good thing is they were able to fix the sunroof... but I still have this random hazard light/horn issue...

Tre Inphamous

Reaction score
This happened to me as well this morning waiting in a drive-thru for breakfast. Same as most everyone else; screen went to tire pressure by itself, hazards on by itself and honked the horn by itself. (Was awkward being the guy who everyone prob thought was honking the horn at a guy who couldn't pull up any further in a drive-thru lol) hazard button unresponsive and it wasn't from key fob. What's weird though, is I frequently sit in my truck with the truck running for my lunch hour at work and it's never done this before. But being in "Drive", holding the brake pedal down and in the drive thru line for no more than 5 mins caused it to happen? I think this brings validity to the possibility that air pressure change in tires caused this. Living in GA in the summer with high humidity, brings very high Temps and frequent scattered rainstorms. The rain causes the Temps to drop suddenly and it likely caused the air pressure to change. Anyway, I'm no mechanic so I could be 100% wrong. Just my guess. Thanks!

Par38lamp

Reaction score
Another data point.

2020 Ram Tradesman. In park, idling (A/C on) for 20 minutes or so.
Horn honked, flashers came on and the tire pressure screen appeared (I keep it on Speedometer).

Pressing flasher button did not turn them off. Had to shut down truck to turn off flashers.

I initially thought it was because I had been idling so long, but the tire pressure screen is what threw me.

My pressures were 35 FL 38 FR 38 RL, 36 RR cold (82°F ambient). I added air to FL and RR to 40 PSI (per Milwaukee M12 inflator).

I will disable the tire fill assist, assuming my low trim level truck has that option (I don't remember seeing that option).

kielbk

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in with my experience this morning ...
I bought a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L Big Horn 4x4 in January of 2021. The truck had about 33,000 miles when I bought it and it now has just shy of 49,000. I haven't had a single problem with the truck until this morning, with the only thing I've changed on it being that I put a more aggressive all terrain tire at about 47,000 miles (Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo 3 mounted on the OEM stock wheels in the OEM tire size). I mention the tire change because reading the above thread this seems to be a tire pressure problem?

Anyway, jump to this morning and its in the low 80's and I get in the truck to run to the grocery store that's right around the corner from me. Once I get to the parking lot I'm rolling up the windows before turning the truck off and the hazards lights come on and the horn honks three times. I try to hit the hazard button but that does not change anything. I know I did not bump the key fob because it was in the cup holder. Anyway I turn the truck off and go into the store for about 20 min, come back out start it and it immediately does it again. I turn the truck off and on and its still doing it so I decided to get home and try to figure it out because at this point I'm getting a lot of stares from people in the lot wondering why I'm honking so much. On the drive home it doesn't do it until I come to a stop to let a gate open (still in drive, foot on brake). The hazards keep flashing until I start rolling again and the RPM's go up. Once home and in park it starts doing it again so I shut the truck off to not annoy the neighbors. I came inside and found this forum and then I went back outside to the truck to try to figure this out.

When I started the truck (at home now) the hazzards and horn immediately continued to spazz out. What I did notice this time was that the driver's side front tire was reading over 90 psi (pic attached), which is clearly wrong. I had not noticed this earlier at the store because I usually leave the tire pressure screen up, and in the moment when everyone was staring I did not notice the number change. I also got a video if the lights and horn going off but I can not figure out how to post the clip on here easily. I am going to try to figure out how to disable the fill warning, and will probably also replace the battery (I was already thinking of replacing the battery before this happened. Also, while I was filming the horn started to get softer like the battery was going bad). I suspect this may be a battery/alternator problem because the problem has occured when at idle (both in drive and in park)?

Anyway, I'll try to follow up with a result.

IMG_7620.jpg

BoiseDave

Reaction score
Me Too... Got the new truck last Friday and it happens 3-4x per day. Service people acted shocked when it happened in front of them. They have no idea how to fix it......

ChristianLife21

Reaction score
This appears to be an issue with the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System).
Recommended Tire Pressure is 36PSI. if you are filling up your tires and the TPMS registers it being 36PSI the horn will honk to let you know that the tire has been filled to recommended capacity.
next, the High range is 40PSI. if you are filling your tires quickly, actually putting air into your tires, when you hit 40PSI, the horn will Honk 2x to let you know to stop filling your tires.

now, for the flashers. if you are sitting in your truck with the Air Conditioning on, you have to assume it's warm outside. Black tires obsorb heat. and this big old beastly engine produces a LOT of heat. as tire pressure increases, but you're not actively filling your tires, then as the pressure hits either 40 or 41 (over the max pressure) the flashers will turn on to make you aware of the pressure building in your tires.

If your truck is like mine, 2021, 1500 5.7L , my front tires always heat up faster than my rear tires. most of the time while i'm sitting still my front tires are almost 2 PSI higher than my rear tires.

you can resolve this issue by letting 1 or 2 PSI out of your tires so they dont approach that 40PSI while sitting.

to turn off, i think you go to settings >> Safety/Driving Assistance >> Tire Fill Assist

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck did this the other day. Temps dropped. So I was filling them up. And hazards flashing and horn honk. I assumed it was because the truck was running for a short time with door open.

Wh0urdady2

Reaction score
My wife mentioned stuff was going off on her while waiting in line at school to pick up our son. I'll ask if the tire pressure stuff was showing.

Nightman

Reaction score
Just happened to me for the first time. 2021 Ram with 27k miles. Bought the truck new and have had it 3 years now (warranty probably just expired this month). Sitting idle for about 30 minutes, all of a sudden the horn honks once, hazard lights come on, display changes from my normal screen (speedometer) to the tire pressure. Pressures range from 35-38 psi.

I hit the hazard lights button twice and they stopped blinking. After reading this thread, I just turned off the Tire Fill Assist. Hope that prevents this from happening again.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread