5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone installed the Airdesign cut in fender vents?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah it sux rebel22.I talked to the service manager and here's where I stand..All parts are going to be good willed to me (48 volt battery pack, IFR module, rear window and back light) but I have to come out of pocket for the labor and the $350 I spent on a new 12volt battery (that includes $140 diagnostic fee)..so I'm still getting hammered for $1350 in total..I'm a disabled veteran on a small fixed income so it's hard to absorb that kind of $..I appreciate the good willed part but I still dont feel I should have to pay anything for this ..its an expensive truck with a big flaw Chrysler screwed up..They don't create a recall because it's not a safety hazzard...isn't it?? The etorque has a 48 volt battery getting wet from Chryslers mistake..that couldn't short out?..create a possible fire?..idk maybe..maybe not..its still a possible safety issue..everyone will have there own opinion..all I know is its FCA's fault..Do I call this a win..dosen't feel like it
I wonder how many etorques batteries have gone bad from the window leak? Not sure if you could get that information from Ram/Stelantis. But that would definitely be reason for a recall on the window if the water leak is shorting out a 48vdc battery located in passenger compartment.

It's not an immediate resolution, but maybe you can file a complaint with the NHTSA, and/or find a lawyer that would start a class action lawsuit over it. Most of the lawyers doing that work pro-bono and take their payment out of the settlement.

Big Gunz

Reaction score
I just sent the NHTSA all the info including a lot of points that you made..I have a case number with them and FCA..A big thanks to you and all who are helping me on 5th gen😉👍👍👍

Big Gunz

Reaction score
@Big Gunz when you talk warranty and dealer, you are not talking about the Cadillac dealer you bought it from are you? Any Ram dealer covers factory warranty.
No no I'm at a Ram dealer just down the road ..I've bought a couple of Jeep grand Cherokees from them in the past and I've know the service dept guys for years but I'm still paying for labor and a battery I really didnt need..I wouldn't have minded paying for battery if that was the problem but it wasnt

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would assume the Rebel's silver part is metal. Obviously the A.D. one certainly isn't meant to be functional.
Technically, you could paint that part any color you want too, it doesn't have to be silver.
As for the air dam. Yeah it looks like it has to be there but who cares if it is.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I kinda like the vents. I think they might look good on a two tone rebel. Not enough to cut my fenders without some proven benefits, but maybe someday.

I also think the bumper guard would look good if you were willing to trim the exposed areas of the original bumper, or at least paint to match.

Rick J

Reaction score
I did exactly that idahoktm ..that's actually what brought me to find this forum..the problem is I bought the truck preowned from a Cadillac dealer ..32000 miles on it..but there telling me because I'm the second owner they cant back me up...I have a hard time understanding why..the dealership told me while I'm waitin for my parts (rear window, third break light and etorque battery and components)..they trying all avenues to help me with cost..I'm not really feeling to confident though..I've been without a truck for almost a week and I have no transportation..sux😣
2nd owner has nothing to do with the OEM warranty. If your truck is under 36 months/36K miles you are covered. I'm guessing your 2019 is over 36 months.

Grimgreg

Reaction score
As far as the leak being classified as a recall, it should be, as it can cause corrosion to the air bag components. I assume there hasn't been documented malfunction as to why they haven't pushed it to recall for that reason.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If anyone can empathize with the tribulations of vehicle's manufacturer defect, it's a KatieM guy. 🤣

I've owned 7 KTM's and other than the leaky fuel cap fiasco back in '06, they've given me hundreds of hours trouble free service. If my Ram ends up being as defect free as my Austrian motorcycles have been, I'll be pretty damn happy. 😎

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
I've owned 7 KTM's and other than the leaky fuel cap fiasco back in '06, they've given me hundreds of hours trouble free service. If my Ram ends up being as defect free as my Austrian motorcycles have been, I'll be pretty damn happy. 😎
Well, lucky for you Ram doesn't use customer vehicles for R&D on poorly constructed fuel systems. I'm glad my Ram doesn't have multiple CCPS or 4CS suspension. 😉

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I've owned 7 KTM's and other than the leaky fuel cap fiasco back in '06, they've given me hundreds of hours trouble free service. If my Ram ends up being as defect free as my Austrian motorcycles have been, I'll be pretty damn happy.

Yep. My ktm 300xc has been trouble free for the past five years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Well, lucky for you Ram doesn't use customer vehicles for R&D on poorly constructed fuel systems. I'm glad my Ram doesn't have multiple CCPS or 4CS suspension. 😉
Every manufacturer pushes products into the mainstream before they are ready, but I still I appreciate those that are willing to push the envelope on technology instead of sitting on the same platform for years. I'm more than happy to replace a CCPS every so often vs. dicking around a carburetor. Anyway, enough of the hijack. I don't want this place to go into the toilet like KTM Talk has over the last couple of years.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2nd owner has nothing to do with the OEM warranty. If your truck is under 36 months/36K miles you are covered. I'm guessing your 2019 is over 36 months.
Your assumption is correct. Original owner bought it November of '18 so it's been past the 36 months for a while now.
That's undoubtedly the main reason for the warranty issue. Although I still think the etorque's warranty (which is longer than the bumper to bumper) should still cover that part of the repairs.

Big Gunz

Reaction score
Well that sucks. See my next post for some info on this.

And thanks, I look forward to seeing the photos.

Which is why I'm thinking there has to be a TSB on it.
Hey shots I just wanted to let you know I used a lot of what you quoted and info that you provided to sound the alarm just about everywhere I can to try to get this problem recognized by the people who should know..your excellent wording and incite is helping immensely..thanks again

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're welcome. I'm glad it may have been of some help in getting a positive resolution.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just saw a thread you may be interested in regarding a class action suit. Here's an article on the suit they linked in the thread.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just saw a thread you may be interested in regarding a class action suit. Here's an article on the suit they linked in the thread.

How did Ram conceal a problem? They published tsb on 3rd brake lights leaking on 4th gens and 5th gens. Tsb on backlite also, not sure if that is a cover up

Big Gunz

Reaction score
Great stuff shots!! You've been invaluable to me..I dont know how there ignoring this issue but it extremely dissapointing that they dont care

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did Ram conceal a problem? They published tsb on 3rd brake lights leaking on 4th gens and 5th gens. Tsb on backlite also, not sure if that is a cover up
I didn't write the article. I'm not saying it's a cover up or that they hid anything. I was just pointing out that there is a class action suit that is relevant to Big Gunz situation.

Specifically, the etorque battery and/or system has failed as a result of the leak causing water damage. If FCA is claiming user error instead of manufacturer defect, and thus refusing to cover the etorque system under warranty (which they are by calling it flood damage), it seems to imply that they're denying the issue exists. This is exactly what the class action suit is addressing.
Conspiracy, cover-up, concealed problem? Maybe, maybe not, but this class action suit is something I'd like to be told about if I was in Big Gunz shoes.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Specifically, the etorque battery and/or system has failed as a result of the leak causing water damage. If FCA is claiming user error instead of manufacturer defect, and thus refusing to cover the etorque system under warranty (which they are by calling it flood damage), it seems to imply that they're denying the issue exists. This is exactly what the class action suit is addressing.
100% on the dealer to make the claim flooding. I personally think it all should be covered. The suit says since 2013 or 2014 this has been a problem that has been concealed by the manufacturer.

We currently have a 2019 ram w/ etorque in the shop. Out of basic warranty by time and miles, our dealer IS replacing the backlite and RFH. Cust will pay $200 for repairs. The reason we always charge a fee is that now the parts installed have a warranty. This is how it should be handled.

Users who are viewing this thread