5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harman Kardon Boomy Bass

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there an easier way to disconnect the sub other than taking out the back bench?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could cut the wires or remove the pins from the harness at the factory amp under the drivers seat.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Care to share which pins? 2020 Rebel

There is only two wire going to the sub, I’m not sure of the colours but it’ll be one of these pairs listed.

Attachments

• AA98553E-F505-49BB-ACF5-F3F79E7AF2F2.png
    AA98553E-F505-49BB-ACF5-F3F79E7AF2F2.png
    218 KB · Views: 42

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't have to remove the back seat. Search the forum and you'll find detailed instructions.
Unplugging the sub was the single most incredible enhancement to the HK system in my RAM. Now I run the EQ at approx +3, 0, +3 and it sounds great.
Used to have the bass at -6 before I unplugged the sub and at that setting you're missing all the nice subtle nuances of music. Now I can hear the individual instruments. A slight bias toward the front speakers helps too.
Really you just need to pull the rear passenger seatback forward, then pull down the carpet on the back wall on the passenger side. Don't worry, it goes right back up when you're done. There's a pushpin that will come out when you pull on the carpet. It snaps right back in when you're done.
Once the carpet is off the back wall you'll see a white connecter to the right of the sub when looking down at it. Unplug that and it opens up the HK system to a new dimension.

Last edited:

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't have to remove the back seat. Search the forum and you'll find detailed instructions.
Unplugging the sub was the single most incredible enhancement to the HK system in my RAM. Now I run the EQ at approx +3, 0, +3 and it sounds great.
Used to have the bass at -6 before I unplugged the sub and at that setting your missing all the nice subtle nuances of music. Now I can hear the individual instruments. A slight bias toward the front speakers helps too.
Really you just need to pull the rear passenger seatback forward, then pull down the carpet on the back wall on the passenger side. Don't worry, it goes right back up when you're done. There's a pushpin that will come out when you pull on the carpet. It snaps right back in when you're done.
Once the carpet is off the back wall you'll see a white connecter to the right of the sub when looking down at it. Unplug that and it opens up the HK system to a new dimension.

With the Rebel. It doesn’t have reclining back seats so I think I have to remove the backrest.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the Rebel. It doesn’t have reclining back seats so I think I have to remove the backrest.

Ah, ok. Well even if it's a 25 minute job to get the seatback out it's well, well worth it. If you're fed up with the bass overkill, I promise you'll love the system without the sub.

beanz690

Reaction score
When you disconnect the sub does that deactivate the ANC?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you disconnect the sub does that deactivate the ANC?
Pretty sure not when you disconnect it at the sub. I haven't noticed a change.
But I'm not sure what happens if you disconnect it at the amp or anywhere further up the line.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So trial and error?

I’m not 100% sure what colours the wires were. I will be removing my back seat again in the near future to remove the sound deadening I put on the sun box to gain back the lost volume.

You will need a 10mm and 18mm socket to remove the seat, the 18mm bolts are a bit tough with all the orange loctite.

PoppaPig78

Reaction score
I'm an hobby audiophile/speaker-builder. The boomy bass was immediately obvious when I was test driving but I figured it was just a settings/equalizer issue; NOPE. Horrid.. Un-fixable. It is worse than those bazooka tubes in my high-school days :| I went ahead and disconnected it. Big improvement in the overall balance of the system but does sacrifice low-end scale. The kids HATED the bass (hurt their ears even at low levels) so they'll be much happier.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not 100% sure what colours the wires were. I will be removing my back seat again in the near future to remove the sound deadening I put on the sun box to gain back the lost volume.

You will need a 10mm and 18mm socket to remove the seat, the 18mm bolts are a bit tough with all the orange loctite.

Can you take some pictures when you do the removal?

PoppaPig78

Reaction score
UPDATE 3.18:
For reasons Unknown to me; disconnecting this while effective in disabling the sub ALSO disabled android Auto and BlueTooth audio playback for me! I've taken the video down for now until answers can be had. Not recommending this disconnect

Here is a 2min video showing how to disconnect on a Limited with reclining seat:

Last edited:

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there an easier way to disconnect the sub other than taking out the back bench?.

You can disconnect it at the amp under the driver seat, but you need the pinout diagram to know what pins to remove from the wiring harness. Crutchfield has it in their research doc, which you should be able to find online. There's also some posts on here detailing how to unlatch the wiring pins from the harness. It takes a little finnesse, but can be done easily once you know how.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm an hobby audiophile/speaker-builder. The boomy bass was immediately obvious when I was test driving but I figured it was just a settings/equalizer issue; NOPE. Horrid.. Un-fixable. It is worse than those bazooka tubes in my high-school days :| I went ahead and disconnected it. Big improvement in the overall balance of the system but does sacrifice low-end scale. The kids HATED the bass (hurt their ears even at low levels) so they'll be much happier.
100% agree with every word.
Still, with the sub disconnected it's the best stock audio system I've ever had.

PoppaPig78

Reaction score
100% agree with every word.
Still, with the sub disconnected it's the best stock audio system I've ever had.
I did a quick listen and agree, the system sans-sub sounds balanced, and detailed. I actually wonder about the hard grille covers. That kind of solid plating I suspect is reflecting/blosking high and mid-frequencies.. I'm not really interested in doing anything about it but suspect it effects the sound.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did a quick listen and agree, the system sans-sub sounds balanced, and detailed. I actually wonder about the hard grille covers. That kind of solid plating I suspect is reflecting/blosking high and mid-frequencies.. I'm not really interested in doing anything about it but suspect it effects the sound.
Me either. I'm leaving everything stock. Once you start messing with car audio the rabbit hole is endless.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just need to find out what pins to pull from amp harness??

Users who are viewing this thread