5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harman Kardon Boomy Bass

PoppaPig78

Reaction score
Very, thank you for taking the time!
For reasons Unknown to me; disconnecting this while effective in disabling the sub ALSO disabled android Auto and BlueTooth audio playback for me! I've taken the video down for now until answers can be had. Not recommending this disconnect for now.

PoppaPig78

Reaction score
UPDATE: For reasons Unknown to me; disconnecting this while effective in disabling the sub ALSO disabled android Auto and BlueTooth audio playback for me! I've taken the video down for now until answers can be had. Not recommending this disconnect method.

Thumbs5th

Reaction score
I'm not sure which method PoppaPig used but I simply unplugged mine and Android Auto, etc. , all work just fine on my '21 Limited.

NorcalMike

Reaction score
I have the Harman Kardon and have never heard the Alpine system. But as someone that has had several expensive Zapco based systems in several of my cars I think it sounds pretty damn good. Granted I may just be getting old 😂

PoppaPig78

Reaction score
I'm not sure which method PoppaPig used but I simply unplugged mine and Android Auto, etc. , all work just fine on my '21 Limited.
Wonder if they made a software update because a simple unplug is all I did too. That said; I had the truck into the dealer to recalibrate my MPG for big tires and I think they flashed the system because the BASS is WAY more balanced now! Night and day to the point I have no desire to un-plug it anymore.

Thumbs5th

Reaction score
Wonder if they made a software update because a simple unplug is all I did too. That said; I had the truck into the dealer to recalibrate my MPG for big tires and I think they flashed the system because the BASS is WAY more balanced now! Night and day to the point I have no desire to un-plug it anymore.
When did you have yours in for service?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you 100% sure about this?
So you plugged it back in before you took it to the dealer and when you left the dealer the sub wasn't booming anymore?
Wonder if it's something that needs to happen at the dealer or if it was an over the air update?
I have dreams about plugging my sub back in and it sounding the way it's supposed to, but don't want to crawl back there to plug it in if it can only be done at the dealer.

PoppaPig78

Reaction score
Are you 100% sure about this?
So you plugged it back in before you took it to the dealer and when you left the dealer the sub wasn't booming anymore?
Wonder if it's something that needs to happen at the dealer or if it was an over the air update?
I have dreams about plugging my sub back in and it sounding the way it's supposed to, but don't want to crawl back there to plug it in if it can only be done at the dealer.
100% sure why the bass is balanced now? No.
  1. Unplugged the subwoofer.
  2. Android Auto stopped working.
  3. Plugged the bass back in and android auto resumed working.
  4. Turned the bass way down to make it liveable.
  5. Took the truck in for MPG calibration.
  6. Upon next start up, the Uconnect acted like it had been factory restored (though some settings persisted).
  7. Stereo sounds great/balanced.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish I can get to mine to unplug it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
100% sure why the bass is balanced now? No.
  1. Unplugged the subwoofer.
  2. Android Auto stopped working.
  3. Plugged the bass back in and android auto resumed working.
  4. Turned the bass way down to make it liveable.
  5. Took the truck in for MPG calibration.
  6. Upon next start up, the Uconnect acted like it had been factory restored (though some settings persisted).
  7. Stereo sounds great/balanced.
This is incredibly fantastic news. You've tried different music styles/sources and the boomyness is truly gone?
It would be great if someone could actually verify that FCA is correcting the HK 'boomyniess' in a TSB or some kind of 'dealer only' modification.
I know you don't have much incentive, but you would be doing a fantastic favor to the HK community if you could ask/confirm with your dealer that they actually did perform some kind of 'update' to your UConnect system and, if so, does that update have an identification number.

PoppaPig78

Reaction score
This is incredibly fantastic news. You've tried different music styles/sources and the boomyness is truly gone?
It would be great if someone could actually verify that FCA is correcting the HK 'boomyniess' in a TSB or some kind of 'dealer only' modification.
I know you don't have much incentive, but you would be doing a fantastic favor to the HK community if you could ask/confirm with your dealer that they actually did perform some kind of 'update' to your UConnect system and, if so, does that update have an identification number.
Went back out to check my EQ settings. I do still have the bass backed off -5, Mid pumped up +4 and flat Trebble. Sooo the system isn't "balanced" IMO if left at factory settings but can be tuned sufficiently.

Reactions: Buz

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone ever find out what wire it is out of the amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
I realize I'm preaching to the choir here... so to speak. I've read quite a bit about this issue, which seems to be a very serious issue for those who are fairly well familiar with quality sound systems in vehicles. I traded in a 2019 with the Alpine system for the 2020 with the HK system. It's insane how much better the Alpine system is, particularly in the bass department. I don't get it. I think about what Harman did with the JBL MS-8 unit a few years back... unbelievable how well designed it was for vehicle use, and they had a couple of guys that really knew what they were doing as far as improving on factory systems. Where were those guys when they designed this system.

I know some have packed the sub box full of polyfil to increase the box volume, which should help with the response... and have also used moving blankets to absorb some of the boomy 80-100Hz frequencies, but we shouldn't have to do this (I haven't done it yet). I have my bass EQ control at -9, and it's still questionable... even with Exact Audio extracted CD onto a USB thumb drive that sounded great with the Alpine system and rivaled some excellent sound quality in my upgraded systems over the years. Sure, the thumb drive is better with the HK, but having to reduce the bass to -9 also effects the mid-bass in the doors... it really degrades the overall sound, and it makes this system more or less a bona fide ripoff to many RAM owners who paid extra money for it.

I've read a few were going to try to add a capacitor to the sub to maybe cut out the frequencies above 50-60Hz, which should help. However, if it is like the sub that was in my 2019, it's a triple voice coil driver, with dual voice coils for the bass response, and a single voice coil for the ANC. If anyone has had success doing this, I'd really like to know if you were able to do it and not effect the ANC. I had to unplug the sub in my 2019 when I was using the aftermarket system, and I was not crazy about the exhaust noise, farts, etc that I had to put up with... the sub portion of the ANC really tamed that noise well.

I filed an official complaint with customer care, but we need others to do the same. They did tell me there were no updates available for my vehicle.

Regards,
Sonnie
Where would one install the capacitor inline to help with the Hertz and what brand would be suggested to use?

Spartekus

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the discussion and tips on disconnecting the sub for the HK system. I just purchased a 2020 Rebel from out of state and drove it home for 7 hours. The bass was really boomy and bad at normal volumes so I ended up moving the fader quite a bit forward and then lowering the bass on the EQ significantly to just be able to listen to music. I ended up disconnecting the sub this week and made a video if anyone needs it. The system still sounds really nice with the EQ back in the positive and although there isn't a sub I think it's well worth the trade-off at this point like another user stated. Hope there is an update at some point to fix the problem for those of us who are having it.

I also drove a friends 2020 Ram 1500 Limited a week ago and it had the same issue. It's really too bad RAM / HK hasn't fixed this.

leftyc66

Reaction score
I'm new here and stumbled upon this forum (topic) via a Duck Duck Go search on the matter. I currently own a 2019 (one month away from being a 2020, lol) RAM 1500 Limited with Alpine 9 speaker with Sub system. I've had the itch here lately for a new RAM... a 2024. Either another Limited or a Longhorn. From all I've been researching it seems that only the 19 speaker HK system is now completely exclusive in the Laramie trims and up. With no option to get the Alpine. (which I'm really bummed about).
Seems HK has won contracts with several car manufacturers....
I guess I should have prefaced this that I'm a semi professional musician for over 35 years and would engineer/mix sound as well. I'm a sound nut. While I don't know the sciences of frequencies, I know sound. Of course, and as has been noted many times in this thread, everyone certainly has their own sound preferences.
One of the YouTube RAM, 19-HK sound system reviews I watched, the owner disconnected the main sub due to the "boomy bass". The more and more HK reviews I read, with so many expressing disappointment, it's more and more had me pause on getting a new RAM. And with all I've read here in this thread of some going to some lengths of modify, in some way, their HK system due to the displeasing "boomy bass", it's had me really question the sound engineering that went into it. I mean obviously there's an issue hence the updates from RAM.
But anyway, I'm kinda getting off track. The 9 speaker Alpine system equipped in my 19' RAM is one of THE most incredible sounding OEM systems I have ever heard and even had. And I've experienced a plethora of them. Both extremely high end OEM and professionally installed systems. This Alpine system is one of the best balanced sound systems I've known.

SOOOOO. All this to say, does anyone know if any of the 2024 Laramie trim and up, has available the Alpine system?

Cause for me personally, I just can't see investing time or money into such a system as the HK (to make it right) after paying that kind of money for a vehicle.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new here and stumbled upon this forum (topic) via a Duck Duck Go search on the matter. I currently own a 2019 (one month away from being a 2020, lol) RAM 1500 Limited with Alpine 9 speaker with Sub system. I've had the itch here lately for a new RAM... a 2024. Either another Limited or a Longhorn. From all I've been researching it seems that only the 19 speaker HK system is now completely exclusive in the Laramie trims and up. With no option to get the Alpine. (which I'm really bummed about).
Seems HK has won contracts with several car manufacturers....
I guess I should have prefaced this that I'm a semi professional musician for over 35 years and would engineer/mix sound as well. I'm a sound nut. While I don't know the sciences of frequencies, I know sound. Of course, and as has been noted many times in this thread, everyone certainly has their own sound preferences.
One of the YouTube RAM, 19-HK sound system reviews I watched, the owner disconnected the main sub due to the "boomy bass". The more and more HK reviews I read, with so many expressing disappointment, it's more and more had me pause on getting a new RAM. And with all I've read here in this thread of some going to some lengths of modify, in some way, their HK system due to the displeasing "boomy bass", it's had me really question the sound engineering that went into it. I mean obviously there's an issue hence the updates from RAM.
But anyway, I'm kinda getting off track. The 9 speaker Alpine system equipped in my 19' RAM is one of THE most incredible sounding OEM systems I have ever heard and even had. And I've experienced a plethora of them. Both extremely high end OEM and professionally installed systems. This Alpine system is one of the best balanced sound systems I've known.

SOOOOO. All this to say, does anyone know if any of the 2024 Laramie trim and up, has available the Alpine system?

Cause for me personally, I just can't see investing time or money into such a system as the HK (to make it right) after paying that kind of money for a vehicle.
Well... did you get the 2024?

It's been a while on this thread. This thread started when I had my 2020, that I traded in on my 2023 F150 Platinum about a year ago (guess I could update my sig - but I'll wait a few more days).

I am curious if this is still an ongoing issue. It seems several got updates, and the bass is no longer boomy. Surely, it has been fully resolved by now. I will be dumbfounded if I get my 2024 and the bass is still boomy.

Reaction score
" I had my 2020, that I traded in on my 2023 F150 Platinum " :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread