5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardwire radar detector to rear view mirror?

Zfire

Reaction score
What model truck do you have? I have a limited and getting the cover behind the mirror off is a pice of cake!
2020 Big Horn - doesn't have the fancier mount, I've seen from others.
mirror1.JPG mirror2.JPG
Just can't seem to get the bottom part off- and I don't want to break it.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
2020 Big Horn - doesn't have the fancier mount, I've seen from others.
View attachment 58866 View attachment 58867
Just can't seem to get the bottom part off- and I don't want to break it.
Do you see that small slot on the far right side? All I did was insert a small screwdriver in there and gave it a slight twist and it popped right off!

Zfire

Reaction score
Do you see that small slot on the far right side? All I did was insert a small screwdriver in there and gave it a slight twist and it popped right off!
Perfect! That, sir, is all it needed. Just couldn't see what was in there, or how it was connected. Thanks!!!

BLAM

Reaction score
That looks pretty clean. Can you add some detail on how you included the mute button there?

I ran a wires from the indicator light and soldered it to thecircuit board in the smart cord. It is a indictor light in front of my face so i no longer need the alarm sound.

Last edited:

Boosty88

Reaction score
Where exactly are you pulling on that upper trim piece to get it out? Trying to get the small cover out and afraid I’m not pulling in the right area and going to break the tabs.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my install. Garmin 55. Hardwired. Size of this unit is 2.2”x1.2”x1.4”. Very un-intrusive. Excellent reviews. Voice activated recording.
Here’s a link to review in case anyone’s interested.
0FE3CC80-F3D0-41E4-89D6-8F4CF606476E.jpeg

Crowley69$

Reaction score
It’s done. It’s a pain. The two wires you tap are the black ground and red next to it. I used blend mount wire kit 15 inch and their mount.
All you have to do is pull the overhead console. With a blue splice connector , connect your red or hot wire from your device to the PINK/YELLOW WIRE. In harness. And put a ground lug on the black wire and put a screw in the metal frame under lid of truck. That’s it as far as getting power but you need to route your wires thru the headliner. What I did was put a lighter type plug up there that is hot and just plugged my radar detector and GPS IN IT. SIMPLE AS THAT

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 151

Duran

Reaction score
Pic isn’t loading. I can text them. If anyone wants more info.
My problem is getting the damn covers off without feeling like imma break it. What direction do i pull or pry

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is a small notch on the far right side near the bottom. You just put a small screwdriver in that notch and twist and it pops right off.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed mine low and just above the wipers in the middle of the windshield. (Hardwired)

43B7893C-EE4B-425A-8EDB-6D7473A1AF97.jpeg

I like to be able to see what type of radar is present and what the sensitivity level is.
On the opposite side of the mirror and upper windshield like some have done, you can’t see it to monitor it or adjust it.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I installed mine low and just above the wipers in the middle of the windshield. (Hardwired)

View attachment 70867

I like to be able to see what type of radar is present and what the sensitivity level is.
On the opposite side of the mirror and upper windshield like some have done, you can’t see it to monitor it or adjust it.
You are far better off installing it under the rear view mirror using a Blendmount. The higher the detector, the better the range it will pick up. It's very easy to see and operate as well.

RamCam6.jpg

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are far better off installing it under the rear view mirror using a Blendmount. The higher the detector, the better the range it will pick up. It's very easy to see and operate as well.

View attachment 70882

My dash cam is up high.

08BD6D9D-E79E-46EA-B54C-3074F852781B.jpeg

I didn’t need any more obstructed view. I felt the bulky mirror mount was already too much in that area.
My radar detector works great down low. It picks up signals just fine.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My dash cam is up high.

I didn’t need any more obstructed view. I felt the bulky mirror mount was already too much in that area.
My radar detector works great down low. It picks up signals just fine.
You're happy...I'm happy. Have you thought of mounting your camera below the large plastic housing behind your rear view mirror? That's where my dash cam is. You don't need to be, nor should you be watching the display as you drive anyway ;)

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're happy...I'm happy. Have you thought of mounting your camera below the large plastic housing behind your rear view mirror? That's where my dash cam is. You don't need to be, nor should you be watching the display as you drive anyway ;)

My Garmin 55 dash cam picks up Intersection Red light and speed cameras and shows them on the screen as you approach. I want to see that warning as I got nabbed twice.
I don’t watch my camera as it goes to black screen after a few seconds once the truck has started.

Everyone has their likes as you say. I was just pointing out my positioning.
I’m happy with my set-up. Everything within reach.
I also bought the “Mute Control Button” harness for my Radar Detector and have it positioned down by my consul to cancel those periodic but noisy false alarms.

Users who are viewing this thread