5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen Headlight Upgrade: Your preference and would you do it again?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unlike the VLAND Headlights which I still have an intermittent working turnsignal (which now I was told wont be resolved until the factory comes back from a 3 week off period to celebrate Chinese Lunar New Year.....again, F VLand)....

These fog light are awesome, do exactly what is expected and install fairly easy. The only drawback was the two wires were not pre-installed into the plug they come with. The reason (and I get it) is because polarity changed, depending on the year model. I can tell you, for my 2021 RAM 1500 Big Horn, it was Black to Black, White to Red. May save you a step of troubleshooting. Also make sure the pin orientation is correct inserting into the plug. They should EASILY insert, show quite a bit of the pin visible, and "click" when in.

That's great to hear, do you happen to have a pic you can share? Nothing fancy, maybe one with them off in the day light? It's not clear to me if the website images are specific to those lights and the 5th gen ram.

Hadit55

Reaction score
Why is no one suggesting a good set of used OEM LED's? They go on sale often on Facebook marketplace.

Bob.

Reaction score
Why is no one suggesting a good set of used OEM LED's? They go on sale often on Facebook marketplace.
I don't use Facebook.
But swapping out the bulbs with excellent Leds and adjusting their focus so you don't blind oncoming traffic is easy enough. I've been running my bulbs for nearly 2 years, zero regrets. Not one vehicle flashed me either.

hockeyboy

Reaction score
I don't use Facebook.
But swapping out the bulbs with excellent Leds and adjusting their focus so you don't blind oncoming traffic is easy enough. I've been running my bulbs for nearly 2 years, zero regrets. Not one vehicle flashed me either.
Any advice on adjusting them? I replaced everything with Lasfit led bulbs. They look great, but I can't get them adjusted properly. I've got them oriented 12 and 6, and I've aimed them as low as they'll go. I'm still getting flashed constantly, and I can see them shining way up on street signs. I've given up and bought some Sylvania silvetstar ultras to switch back for the low beams.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any advice on adjusting them? I replaced everything with Lasfit led bulbs. They look great, but I can't get them adjusted properly. I've got them oriented 12 and 6, and I've aimed them as low as they'll go. I'm still getting flashed constantly, and I can see them shining way up on street signs. I've given up and bought some Sylvania silvetstar ultras to switch back for the low beams.
Diode chips need to be oriented at 9 & 3 o'clock, is the guidance I have always had and could be the issue?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This sounds like something is wrong. The hot spot shouldn't be anywhere close to street signs. I have the diode dynamic LED lows and highs oriented and adjusted and they work great without blinding anyone. I have never been flashed since they were adjusted. I considered OEM LED or aftermarket, but always came back to my halogen assemblies because I think they look good and it's a lot cheaper to replace a bulb if it fails, than it is in a pre-assembled LED housing.

Bob.

Reaction score
yes like CalvinC says they need to be rotated 3 and 9 o:clock, Sort of like the filament of a halogen bulb., a halogen light bulb only locks in a certain way.

I wonder if your light bulb is too long or short. That could change the hot spot and it will focus the light in a different spot. If you look at a good LED the length of the LED will line up with the filament of a halogen bulb.

Also I wonder if you have the correct LED? If you have your box check the part number.

The cheap LEDS has more than 2 diodes. these will blind everyone 100% everytime.

Last edited:

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have Lasfit highs and lows. Adjustment was simple. Never been flashed on low. Orientation is key as already stated.

hockeyboy

Reaction score
Interesting about the hot spot having to be in the right place. I'll go back to halogen for now and maybe someday try LED again.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could just be a defective unit. I recently got a pair of LEDs from Diode Dynamics, who have a stellar reputation, that were utterly garbage - huge miss on QA. I imagine the offshore LED companies to be worse.

hockeyboy

Reaction score
So you mean the particular bulb you received was defective, right? Not that their products are lousy. I was contemplating getting some. We're they for your Ram?

hockeyboy

Reaction score
So you mean the particular bulb you received was defective, right? Not that their products are lousy. I was contemplating getting some. Were they for your Ram?

Bob.

Reaction score

If anyone would like to know exactly what I purchased 2 years ago: These work fine.​

2019​

RAM 1500 XTREME LED PRO (HIGH BEAM)​

41776.010.jpg

• BULBS (PAIR): 1 × 9005/HB3: Xtreme LED Pro (Pair)$143.10
ITEM PRICE:$143.10
ORDER QTY:1
SUB-TOTAL:$143.10

2019+ RAM 1500 XTREME LED PRO (LOW BEAM)​

41777.010.jpg

• BULBS (PAIR): 1 × H11/H9/H8: Xtreme LED Pro (Pair)$143.10
  • HARNESSES (PAIR): 2 × PWM Modules: XTR (H11)$36.04
  • DIELECTRIC GREASE (RECOMMENDED): 1 × Dielectric Grease: Morimoto LectricLube$4.23

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you mean the particular bulb you received was defective, right? Not that their products are lousy. I was contemplating getting some. We're they for your Ram?
Yes, just a bulb for a license plate light, so definitely not their big ticket items ($7?). Though I have some of their pods as well that are great.
I was just trying to say I think its a precision manufacturing product, and everyone has issues, even the big guys like DD.

hockeyboy

Reaction score
At the risk of beating a dead horse, I have one more thought. Might my inability to adjust the headlights down far enough be a suspension thing? I have 2" Motofab leveling spacers. It's the 3rd Ram I've done this to, and I've never had an issue with the stock halogens being too high. In fact, my 2012 had the worst headlights ever. I could actually see something after I put in the leveling kit.

Bob.

Reaction score
That could be a problem. It certainly reduces some of your adjustment.

I fixed the rake on my jeep a while back, I brought the nose up. I had my headlights shining on the neighbors 2nd story windows. I got the lights back to the ground, took a while turning the screws. Lol

There should be a way to correct it. I would start with another brand of LEDs. I still think your LEDs might be the wrong length which will screw up your focus.

DMN

Reaction score
went the #3 route, 6K lumens Lasfit bulbs, HI/LO beams AND fogs, plus LED turn signals. Agree that the halogen housings aren’t as visually appealing as the LED housings, but I just couldn’t pull the trigger on new LED housings, when for a fraction of the cost, I could just upgrade the bulbs and achieve the desired result of better illumination at night.
am kinda glad I don’t have OEM LED’s, as the OEM LED headlights require returning to dealer for service if they go out.
Granted, the low beams are a biyotch to change, I am in to this upgrade for about $115.00 from Amazon, and about an hour and a half of my time, vs. maybe half a day of pulling apart your whole front end to install new fixtures.
Am super happy with how ridiculously bright they are! If you want cheaper options, Lasfit Bulbs are awesome! Good luck!
Saw a video online that you don't have to pull front end out to change the OEM LED bulbs, he just took off the wheel well part from close to truck with 10 mm bolts, then he loosened in front black plastic down low is a bolt to loosen light and one bolt up on outer to get to the lightbulb. Do a search for replacing the bulbs in ram trucks by loosening wheel well thing. Way easier..

Bob.

Reaction score
Saw a video online that you don't have to pull front end out to change the OEM LED bulbs, he just took off the wheel well part from close to truck with 10 mm bolts, then he loosened in front black plastic down low is a bolt to loosen light and one bolt up on outer to get to the lightbulb. Do a search for replacing the bulbs in ram trucks by loosening wheel well thing. Way easier..
This was my method as well. Go thru the inner fender from underneath

Users who are viewing this thread