5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen Headlight Upgrade: Your preference and would you do it again?

Lostonetoo

Reaction score
I meant the morimoto’s. I did replace all my halogen bulbs with LEDs and they are great but I can’t stand the look of the big bulbous headlight assemblies
The lights are around $1500 from different site, I've been searching for the best prices so far they are all the same. I guess I should have put the $ sign in there too, I really wish I could have gotten them when ordering my truck but this dang chip\supply shortage is killing us all.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The lights are around $1500 from different site, I've been searching for the best prices so far they are all the same. I guess I should have put the $ sign in there too, I really wish I could have gotten them when ordering my truck but this dang chip\supply shortage is killing us all.
Yikes. I can get OEM cheaper.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been hard to find the OEM led light to replace the halogens. Do you have a link to them?

Message accessory.parts

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
@Nachotaco, I am still completely satisfied with my lights and they are working great. Many have had similar luck with them but I do agree that the speed of their customer support is less than ideal. No fault to VLAND at all in my opinion, but due to them being based out of China, communication and replacement components can be pretty delayed. I think some communication is also lost in translation. If you do decide you want to go the VLAND route you can always buy from somewhere like Amazon that typically has a hassle free return policy in the event that a return is needed. With that, if you’re stuck in between buying OEM or buying aftermarket, I’d suggest OEM. It’s been debated countless times, and I don’t think I’ve ever come across a posting of someone being disappointed with going the OEM route.
I am glad you are having a positive experience, @JBowman . Truly.

[ rant ] It just should not be a "dice-roll" when you purchase a $500+ product, and have lack-luster customer support. Outside of the experience @sideoutjj is having with their customer service, I am having to send videos as proof of the issue (which we did not even get to until a week of back / forth communication happens). I have a feeling that I too will end up being asked to repair my own headlight, much like @sideoutjj is being asked to. These lights are shipping within the domestic US border. The customer service is abroad. They need their warehouse here to be set up to take returns in better form, and just ship new product without question. Its already a hassle-prone installation. Why would you make your customers jump hoops on top of that? You want to establish yourself as a premium brand? You do a much better job at customer service. You know why they do not? Because their company strategy probably does not see themselves out there after a few years, and they will re-emerge as another brand (although same product of x- quality produced).

Again, I am glad you are having a good experience. When I looked through social media, youtube videos on VLand etc, I can see Sideout and I are not the only ones that had issues and not just with RAM lights. Just shouldnt be a dice-roll is all im saying. Im 100% with you that if I were to do it again, I'd go OEM if I could....but outside of that: Anyone reading that wants aftermarket - try another brand. Try Morimoto or some that have more of a theme of positive experiences in reviews.

[ /rant ]

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you at all. It should not be a roll of the dice from a quality standpoint. If you buy a product, it needs to work as advertised. If it doesn't work as advertised the company's customer service needs to correct it quickly and properly. I've been talking with SideoutJJ for quite awhile now in the messenger and I cannot say I agree with the resolution. I haven't personally had to deal with their customer support but I do make it a topic of discussion when people reach out to ask me questions about the lights. I would no way try to intentionally steer someone in the wrong direction and I will give anyone my honest opinion. That goes for any product I've used for that matter. That is why I tell people that are on the fence between OEM or an aftermarket headlight option to go OEM. In my case, I love the look of the VLANDs and was willing to take the gamble on them to achieve that look, but still if I could go back, I would have paid the difference for the OEM LEDs. Luckily it has worked out in my favor so far, but for those that are torn between OEM prices and a cheaper solution should just bite the bullet and spend the extra money for the OEM.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
I don't disagree with you at all. It should not be a roll of the dice from a quality standpoint. If you buy a product, it needs to work as advertised. If it doesn't work as advertised the company's customer service needs to correct it quickly and properly. I've been talking with SideoutJJ for quite awhile now in the messenger and I cannot say I agree with the resolution. I haven't personally had to deal with their customer support but I do make it a topic of discussion when people reach out to ask me questions about the lights. I would no way try to intentionally steer someone in the wrong direction and I will give anyone my honest opinion. That goes for any product I've used for that matter. That is why I tell people that are on the fence between OEM or an aftermarket headlight option to go OEM. In my case, I love the look of the VLANDs and was willing to take the gamble on them to achieve that look, but still if I could go back, I would have paid the difference for the OEM LEDs. Luckily it has worked out in my favor so far, but for those that are torn between OEM prices and a cheaper solution should just bite the bullet and spend the extra money for the OEM.
It is really just a shame they could not employ better quality/components because they really do look good. I have the same ones as yours, and when they work, I can happy. My blinker issue is intermittent and both lights are not adjusting properly but at least their beam is close to where I want it

MontFla

Reaction score
Did you check the blinker fluid? I once asked my wife to get me so one. With the intention of telling her it was a joke. I forgot and she stopped at advanced auto and asked for it. I slept in my truck lol. Just kidding about sleeping in the truck

Spokes

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have the Mopar part # for the OEM leg fog lights with parking sensors? TIA!

I bought some Diode Dynamic LED for the headlights and their S3 pod kit for the fogs, the light output is great but the fog lights pattern blinds everyone and I have them as low and they can go. Plus the side light from them is pretty bad. And I hate how they fit in the fog light hole... overall buying them was a mistake!

Attachments

• IMG_4469.jpg
    IMG_4469.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 35

Bob.

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have the Mopar part # for the OEM leg fog lights with parking sensors? TIA!

I bought some Diode Dynamic LED for the headlights and their S3 pod kit for the fogs, the light output is great but the fog lights pattern blinds everyone and I have them as low and they can go. Plus the side light from them is pretty bad. And I hate how they fit in the fog light hole... overall buying them was a mistake!
Which SS3 did you purchase? I have the SS3 pro and I'm very happy with them.First picture is the fog and the next picture is the fog with LED low beam

Attachments

• FOG.JPG
    FOG.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 14
  • LOW AND FOG.JPG
    LOW AND FOG.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 14

Spokes

Reaction score
Which SS3 did you purchase? I have the SS3 pro and I'm very happy with them.First picture is the fog and the next picture is the fog with LED low beam
Same ones, the pro's. Like I said, the light output it great but they fit like s**t and blind over drivers with them angled as low as I can get em.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
Some highlights of my convos so far with VLAND (and yes im using this opportunity to bash the living f on VLAND).

No matter how many times (3 now) ive stated that the install is correct, they are insistent somehow (also 3 now) that it is something I am doing. Keep in mind I even sent and shared a video of my install to them.

If you want to be an ace at customer service, you do not start from a place of making it the customer's fault somehow. Unbelieveable.

I get having at least one goodwill question to the customer up front like "Before we can proceed with a return, please ensure all connections have been firmly made. If you still feel the product is faulty, please confirm and we will share an RMA with you blah blah blah"...and that is where this should have started...but to continue to challenge the customer, it is intentional in action. After the final challenge below, I had it. I let loose on them. Since then...crickets...which I am sure is what they want: Not wanting to action.

See the attached responses (this is one week in the making btw). Thankfully at least the headlights are working and I can drive at night. @sideoutjj cannot even drive right now and has been way longer delayed.

TL;DR - F VLAND HARD

20220120_128AM_A.PNG

20220125_636PM.PNG

20220125_1043PM.PNG

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
Same ones, the pro's. Like I said, the light output it great but they fit like s**t and blind over drivers with them angled as low as I can get em.
Its a shame there is not an OEM fitting option as I want to change my fogs too

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Bob.

Reaction score
I wonder if you have the wrong brackets. I believe 3 original screws hold the bracket and the 4th hole in the bracket if for the pin to fit in. Adjustment is the 2 screws that hold the light on the bracket. You have about 30 degrees of adjustment.

Is your truck lifted? That would explain why they are too high. Just thinking out loud.
I would give DD a call. Something is wrong.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
Please report back! I almost ordered but already paid enough for the mishimoto headlights that I want to be certain the fogs work well.
Unlike the VLAND Headlights which I still have an intermittent working turnsignal (which now I was told wont be resolved until the factory comes back from a 3 week off period to celebrate Chinese Lunar New Year.....again, F VLand)....

These fog light are awesome, do exactly what is expected and install fairly easy. The only drawback was the two wires were not pre-installed into the plug they come with. The reason (and I get it) is because polarity changed, depending on the year model. I can tell you, for my 2021 RAM 1500 Big Horn, it was Black to Black, White to Red. May save you a step of troubleshooting. Also make sure the pin orientation is correct inserting into the plug. They should EASILY insert, show quite a bit of the pin visible, and "click" when in.

Users who are viewing this thread