5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen Headlight Upgrade: Your preference and would you do it again?

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
So I tried this first as the most cost-effective. I bought what I was told were quality LED bulbs ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N115RKB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details ). They were not. They were sh*t for me, frankly. Got them all installed and had one that flickered, and another that simply disconnected from its mount ring because they were just snug-fit to the bulb (to make them more universal). After that exercise in futility, I tried again to order OEM headlights but my order was cancelled due to backorder and lack of any knowledge of when. I finally settled on Option 2, and bought the VLAND units: ( https://www.vlandus.com/products/vl...LiWKpQeXRJRwnr6Qka2L2Cx9xSnjNT8EaAgICEALw_wcB )

So far so good. The only complaint I have is the beam adjustment works less than stellar. I mean they are not OEM quality headlights but pretty damn close. My other concern is how long they will last but time will tell. If the dont last, I wont be so much upset by the cost as I will the having to remove all the parts again to replace. Anyone whose had to disassemble the front to install headlights....curious to know how easy the bolts came out? On mine, a few of the "quick-nuts" broke or spun on the backside so it was awful to get the grill off. Very minimal quality put into the components and designs of our trucks. Sucks.

Well F me. Literally just took the truck out for errands and the left turnsignal errored and stopped working. ()(*&^%$#$%^&*(*&^%$#@#$%^&!

Moral of this F*cking thread....Get OEM or get Bent.

U

User_34235

So I tried this first as the most cost-effective. I bought what I was told were quality LED bulbs ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N115RKB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details ). They were not. They were sh*t for me, frankly. Got them all installed and had one that flickered, and another that simply disconnected from its mount ring because they were just snug-fit to the bulb (to make them more universal). After that exercise in futility, I tried again to order OEM headlights but my order was cancelled due to backorder and lack of any knowledge of when. I finally settled on Option 2, and bought the VLAND units: ( https://www.vlandus.com/products/vl...LiWKpQeXRJRwnr6Qka2L2Cx9xSnjNT8EaAgICEALw_wcB )

So far so good. The only complaint I have is the beam adjustment works less than stellar. I mean they are not OEM quality headlights but pretty damn close. My other concern is how long they will last but time will tell. If the dont last, I wont be so much upset by the cost as I will the having to remove all the parts again to replace. Anyone whose had to disassemble the front to install headlights....curious to know how easy the bolts came out? On mine, a few of the "quick-nuts" broke or spun on the backside so it was awful to get the grill off. Very minimal quality put into the components and designs of our trucks. Sucks.
There are at least 2 of us on here that are running the VLAND headlights. The other user has the reflective housing like you do and I bought the Matrix LED version. I talked to him the other day and he still enjoys his set up, where as I have had a nightmare with mine. After about 1 hour of putting everything back together they went out. VLAND is trying to send me a new ballast that I am to replace on my own (can you say NO). I think I just got a bad set so dont let my experience spoil yours.

As for the bolts, I had one on top of the grille that spun too and I had to eventually cut the bolt off the get the grille back off. Other than that things went pretty smoothly.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
There are at least 2 of us on here that are running the VLAND headlights. The other user has the reflective housing like you do and I bought the Matrix LED version. I talked to him the other day and he still enjoys his set up, where as I have had a nightmare with mine. After about 1 hour of putting everything back together they went out. VLAND is trying to send me a new ballast that I am to replace on my own (can you say NO). I think I just got a bad set so dont let my experience spoil yours.

As for the bolts, I had one on top of the grille that spun too and I had to eventually cut the bolt off the get the grille back off. Other than that things went pretty smoothly.
Yeah I sympathize with your scenario. I'd be pissed too...and I hate being a naysayer but exactly this - its a lot of work to remove the stuff ONLY because I feel like the fasteners are a one-time use and it becomes tragic trying to reassemble. If I have to disassemble yet again, im going to have to buy a lot of new parts as well. Just such a hassle.

So I went back out to try an idea about disconnecting the wire that makes the single strobe left to right vs just flash on...thinking that might help or help troubleshoot...and now the blinker is working fine again. THATS worse because its intermittent. I did reach out to vland. I hope they reply

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you guys are looking for great pricing on OEM LEDs or even other after market reach out to accessory.parts, they are a new vendor on here!

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome.....thanks LoNeStAr.....will go look now.
Message him and he will give you a price quote. They are currently revamping their website. I purchased my N-FAB EPYX steps from them and the experience was awesome!

I will be purchasing the OEM LEDs from them next!!!

Nachotaco

Reaction score
I have the VLAND Reflector type aftermarket LED's. This would fall in line with option two from your posting. Let me say, I have absolutely zero issues with these headlights and I think they're one of the best looking options that just so happens to be more on the budget friendly side when compared to many of the other aftermarket headlight options.

Now with that said, if I were to do it again, I'd still lean heavily towards OEM. Nothing against the VLANDs, I'm still very happy with them but in the grand scheme of things, I could have went OEM for approximately $500 or so more than what I had already invested in the aftermarket lights. Personally speaking, I really wanted the OEM lights to begin with but settled for a less popular option just because I also liked them and they were about half the cost. I figured I'd give them a shot.

I guess what I'm getting at is if you're in the market and plan to swap out the entire headlight units anyways, I would just dish out the extra cash and go OEM from the jump. They look great, perform great, and will come with the guarantee and reputation that you expect. If you're looking to go LED at the cheapest expense, then obviously I completely understand just swapping out bulbs into your existing halogen housing. Many go that direction without issue and it keeps the cost relatively low.
Those VLAND lights looks great. If I can't find OEM LEDs this summer I will probably go with those.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
Those VLAND lights looks great. If I can't find OEM LEDs this summer I will probably go with those.
They do indeed look great but I am not happy with the reliability, and seems like neither is @sideoutjj . Not sure i'd throw $550 at them ever again. Their customer service has been dog slow and unwilling to help in a solid way

U

User_34235

Have to agree with MishMash1500. I bought the Matrix ones and they went out within a day. VLAND is sending me replacement ballasts to replace and from talking to them, I dont think this is a rare occurrence. Just our two cents but think about spending a little more for another set.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Nachotaco, I am still completely satisfied with my lights and they are working great. Many have had similar luck with them but I do agree that the speed of their customer support is less than ideal. No fault to VLAND at all in my opinion, but due to them being based out of China, communication and replacement components can be pretty delayed. I think some communication is also lost in translation. If you do decide you want to go the VLAND route you can always buy from somewhere like Amazon that typically has a hassle free return policy in the event that a return is needed. With that, if you’re stuck in between buying OEM or buying aftermarket, I’d suggest OEM. It’s been debated countless times, and I don’t think I’ve ever come across a posting of someone being disappointed with going the OEM route.

Nachotaco

Reaction score
@Nachotaco, I am still completely satisfied with my lights and they are working great. Many have had similar luck with them but I do agree that the speed of their customer support is less than ideal. No fault to VLAND at all in my opinion, but due to them being based out of China, communication and replacement components can be pretty delayed. I think some communication is also lost in translation. If you do decide you want to go the VLAND route you can always buy from somewhere like Amazon that typically has a hassle free return policy in the event that a return is needed. With that, if you’re stuck in between buying OEM or buying aftermarket, I’d suggest OEM. It’s been debated countless times, and I don’t think I’ve ever come across a posting of someone being disappointed with going the OEM route.
Thanks for the info. I definitely plan to go OEM if I can get my hands on a pair. I guess I could always just wait however long it takes. There is really no rush.

Lostonetoo

Reaction score
So thinking about getting the Morimoto XB LED headlights gen 2 to replace the halogen headlights once my truck comes in. Did these fit great and are there any gabs? Those who have these what are your thoughts? Also did anyone replace there tail lights and if so what did you go with?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was a bit of knuckle head in that I didn't want to drop $1000 on lights (the ole halogen have worked fine years, eh?) so I factory ordered my truck without them.

I also didn't/don't really like the LED's on non limited trims, the bottom wavy strip with that clouded cover doesn't do it for me, and I don't like that the DRL's show the headlights on at low power, while also showing the LED strips.

So I spent even more than the factory upgrade cost and got morimoto hybrids, the DRL's look awesome as its just two LED strips, one on top and one on bottom and no headlight on low power. Not sure about light output at night though, I suspect it's not much of an improvement on my halogens because even though the measured lumen's might be higher, the white-ish light gets absorbed by the black road more than the yellowish light from the halogen. Hard to say because I'm also running around now without my fog lights on so I might just be missing that light output.

Lostonetoo

Reaction score
How much are they?
They are 1500. When I ordered my truck, I could get the premium lighting group, so now I have to decide, do I want these or just go with the halogen lights. Not really wanting to change out the high and low to led but will do the fig lights for sure.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are 1500. When I ordered my truck, I could get the premium lighting group, so now I have to decide, do I want these or just go with the halogen lights. Not really wanting to change out the high and low to led but will do the fig lights for sure.
I meant the morimoto’s. I did replace all my halogen bulbs with LEDs and they are great but I can’t stand the look of the big bulbous headlight assemblies

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At the time of my order (back in June 2021) I decided to stay with the halogens. That time I was driving in a Laramie, and I love the factory led. Because I didn’t get the factory led, I was able to save that money and get rambox instead.

Now…for long term, I can see myself getting the factory led headlights. Yeah I know I’m going to be paying more for them, but still, it’s something that I can replace/upgrade on my own. A rambox is something I cannot replace/do on my own.

2022 Ram 1500 Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)

Users who are viewing this thread