5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H/K audio upgrade - VAST Improvment

patriot_tech

Reaction score
few questions on your 6X9 choice. Do you need the sub 3" mounting depth is that that why you went with a slim speaker? I was thinking of using the HD-690CFX which needs 3.5". IF sub 3" is needed did you consider the HD-690CFS which is more mid/low as I assume the upper door 3" would handle the mid/high? Thanks
It's been long enough I honestly don't remember if mounting depth was a concern. I know I wanted a midbass as I have separate subs. Yes the 3" would handle highs.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
I just got done doing some upgrades to my audio system and figured I'd throw the info out there in case there was interest.

To start, I have a 2020 Limited with H/K. I can't believe they would put a system in that level of truck that sounded that bad. The subwoofer is a piece of garbage - and the tuning of it is no better. The engineers should be ashamed of themselves. A testament to marketing - 19 speakers my rear. The rest of the system is ok at best.

The items I installed are:
Pac AP4-CH41
7 Ea. Faital Pro 3FE22 - 3" wide band driver
4 CDT Audio CL69S - 6x9 Midbass
2 JL 13TW5 subs
JL 1200/1 amp
MTI Sub box - The first stage one box built by them - mine is the actual box on their website.

I am currently using the factory amp to run the mids / highs. The factory sub was unplugged. I took alot of time to reasearch speakers and found the Faital Pro's to be a great match for the factory amp. They are very efficient and 4 ohm. I had to cut one of the tabs off and adjust the screw holes to make them fit right, but not alot of work. They sound great!

I added the subs and amp next. I probably would not have done anything this big, but since I already had the equipment it worked out perfect. Needless to say - I have plenty of bass. Box is VERY well made and worth the money. I somehow managed to get 0 ga into the cab and hidden under carpet to under the back seat.

The last thing I added were the CDT 6x9's. These made a HUGE difference in the sound. Tons of midbass. Music has impact now that it never did before. They dropped right in without issue.

Overall, I am very happy with the stereo now. It sounds REALLY good. By using the factory amp, I have kept all of the functionality of the original system and improved the sound immensely. The efficiency of the Faital's actually make the system louder. At some point I will probably do a DSP and upgrade further, but for now the stereo is perfect.

Are the CDTs 2ohm or 4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schwartz36

Reaction score
The 6x9's were the last thing I did and the difference was literally night and day. I'd do the 4 6x9's and see what you think, then expand from there. You will be happy either way I think.

I agree with this. The 6X9s made a HUGE difference. Still trying to make the choice on stock, vs Faital vs CDT for the dash.

FN-2187

Reaction score
This thread is great and making it hard for me to wait to start upgrading my own in my limited for much longer. Not sure if you guys have ever seen these videos from Five Star but it is pretty cool to see them do everything. They do great work so it is full of good ideas for any of us.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

FN-2187

Reaction score
Did you guys use the metra 72-7514 harness for the 6x9s. I'm sorry if someone asked in the thread already but I have been trying to figured it out for a bit. All my research has pointed me to then but I just want to make sure.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Kendal

Reaction score
My Limited with night edition package just arrived at dealership,I'm excited to have new truck and plan to pick up next week when back in town . My question regarding this thread ......has any one finished and upgraded the factory system with the DSM amplifier ......and how does it sound .......seems to be the first component to change before taking off door panels and changing speakers ......all thoughts and experiences really appreciated.....thanks to everyone for sharing experience and talents

german88

Reaction score
My Limited with night edition package just arrived at dealership,I'm excited to have new truck and plan to pick up next week when back in town . My question regarding this thread ......has any one finished and upgraded the factory system with the DSM amplifier ......and how does it sound .......seems to be the first component to change before taking off door panels and changing speakers ......all thoughts and experiences really appreciated.....thanks to everyone for sharing experience and talents
Never heard of a "DSM" amplifier. ??

Kendal

Reaction score
Sorry to be more specific hal9001 posted a thread on the Rockford Fosgate DSR1 amplifier to replace the HK stock amp and wondered if any had experience regarding this installation prior to changing out speakers etc . Thanks

german88

Reaction score
Sorry to be more specific hal9001 posted a thread on the Rockford Fosgate DSR1 amplifier to replace the HK stock amp and wondered if any had experience regarding this installation prior to changing out speakers etc . Thanks
Ah, got it. Never considered it when I did my CDT swap. Changing the 4 door 6X9's transformed the system for me. You might be pleasantly surprised as many others have discovered. The stock amp drives them with plenty of authority. Would be nice to have full DSP control but just not worth the effort for me.

patriot_tech

Reaction score
Stock amp gets plenty loud and sounds pretty good. Speakers will make the biggest difference in sound. DSP would be nice, but for my use it sounds great and I don't have the desire to go further down the sound rabbit hole in this vehicle.

Kendal

Reaction score
Ahhh very good ......any ideas where to purchase the 6x9 door speakers and did you keep the stock sub woofer with some poly ......last any sound material used in doors ? Thanks again

german88

Reaction score
Ahhh very good ......any ideas where to purchase the 6x9 door speakers and did you keep the stock sub woofer with some poly ......last any sound material used in doors ? Thanks again
Direct from CDT for the 6X9's. Yes, stock subwoofer was fine for my needs. Many here are disconnecting after installing the door speakers but mine sounds fine. Wouldn't bother trying to add poly fil or any other mod to the the factory sub. It's a pain to access and the Juice isn't worth the squeeze. Adding sound deadening to the outer door skin will help cut down resonance so go for it if your already in there.

Rmazzei

Reaction score
Direct from CDT for the 6X9's. Yes, stock subwoofer was fine for my needs. Many here are disconnecting after installing the door speakers but mine sounds fine. Wouldn't bother trying to add poly fil or any other mod to the the factory sub. It's a pain to access and the Juice isn't worth the squeeze. Adding sound deadening to the outer door skin will help cut down resonance so go for it if your already in there.
curious why did you choose the cl69s? I do not think the shallow depth is needed

Kendal

Reaction score
When mounting the CL69s match the factory polarity to the new speaker or is there a difference when wiring these new speakers regarding polarity ......I thought I read the factory reversed the polarity on the speakers on the back doors ? Maybe I'm imagining?or hallucinating?

german88

Reaction score
When mounting the CL69s match the factory polarity to the new speaker or is there a difference when wiring these new speakers regarding polarity ......I thought I read the factory reversed the polarity on the speakers on the back doors ? Maybe I'm imagining?or hallucinating?
Polarity is reversed on all 4 6x9’s from the factory with the H/K system. Most are reversing polarity back to normal. You should take the time to read through previous posts on the subject. Great info to be found…

dailyherold

Reaction score
Reading this thread through, along with @Sonnie's build log, and I'm really glad I'm not alone on the boomy bass symptoms requiring near minimum adjustment on EQ. I'm not interested in any aftermarket speaker/amp upgrades, and want to retain ANC, which after reading seems to leave me with:
  • Unplug sub: sounds like the quickest win.
  • Polyfill and dampen factory box: some saying it makes a nice difference but others say "not worth the squeeze".
  • Amplifier TSB 08-128-18: can't find much on this in forum via search, mentioned by @SpeedyV and @Ciege though, just wondering what exactly it addresses? Any way to tell if I already have it? If it improves, seems like something everyone should just ask for. UPDATE: did searching beyond this site, which led me to the actual TSB doc which states it only applies to vehicles between MDH 0128XX and MDH 0828XX, and specifically related to "speaker volume and sound quality not seeming correct". This doesn't apply to my truck (MDH 091801) but good to know now!
  • Dampen rear panel and floor area: not really to solve the boomy bass directly, but sounds like a nice way to quiet the interior of the cabin which benefits both audio or non-audio use cases. Have heard most road noise coming from rear in other unrelated posts so kind of interested in this.
If unplugging is the quick win, and the other three two become a more thorough gameplan to work on over time, I'd be happy knowing that. Looking for confirmation/thoughts/feedback, and thanks everyone for the help!

Last edited:

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
  • Polyfill and dampen factory box: some saying it makes a nice difference but others say "not worth the squeeze".
Don't bother with this one.
First time around I PACKED the sub box with polyfil. Made it worse.
Then I pulled most of the polyfil out and only left in the recommended volume. Still sucked.
Unplug the sub and be done. It's a pretty decent system this way.
I generally run Bass @4, Mid @0, and Treble @4 and get good results. Adjust to taste.
With this setup I can go to about 22 on the volume before it starts to deteriorate.
If you listen to satelite radio, then all bets are off.

Users who are viewing this thread