5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H/K audio upgrade - VAST Improvment

Saints

Reaction score
Edited as my question was answered on page 5. I have a 19 and went with the 6514 harness which should be the correct harness from everything I have read. I’m going to order the 6515 harness to see if it fixes it.

Last edited:

Ram-583

Reaction score
Has anyone actually Replaced the Sub-woofer with a upgraded one?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not sure what is wrong with others H/K subs but no 6x9 would hit like the stock sub in my truck his.
The 6*9's add enough mid-bass that you turn down the bass on the EQ and when it all works together as a system it sounds cleaner and hits harder.

At least for the types of music I listen to.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well said.
The 6*9's add enough mid-bass that you turn down the bass on the EQ and when it all works together as a system it sounds cleaner and hits harder.

At least for the types of music I listen to.
Well said.
Forget the stock sub, it's useless if you want professional balanced sound.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well said.

Well said.
Forget the stock sub, it's useless if you want professional balanced sound.
You're right. But professional balanced sound will take a lot more than unplugging the factory sub and replacing the 6x9's. I'm not sure there are many of us who want to spend the kind of money it will take to achieve true professional balanced sound. I'm actually very pleased with my factory HK system.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're right. But professional balanced sound will take a lot more than unplugging the factory sub and replacing the 6x9's. I'm not sure there are many of us who want to spend the kind of money it will take to achieve true professional balanced sound. I'm actually very pleased with my factory HK system.
Absolutely. But doing those two things sure gets you a LOT closer to a quality sound system.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score

To clarify...In my truck, I did not unplug the sub. The 6*9 are wired in reverse as the stock speakers were, and ANC is active.

That being said, I have the EQ turned down to minus 2 or minus 4 depending on the age of the music. Old school album rock needs it turned up a tad and anything less than about 30 years old sounds good turned down a bit more for casual listening.

Some songs, I'll turn bass up to zero just because I want to feel like I'm getting beat up.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To clarify...In my truck, I did not unplug the sub. The 6*9 are wired in reverse as the stock speakers were, and ANC is active.

That being said, I have the EQ turned down to minus 2 or minus 4 depending on the age of the music. Old school album rock needs it turned up a tad and anything less than about 30 years old sounds good turned down a bit more for casual listening.

Some songs, I'll turn bass up to zero just because I want to feel like I'm getting beat up.
Furthers my point about how badly Ram balanced the HK system. If your bass slider lives it's entire existence at or below the '0' line, then the system is not balanced correctly. Having only a 3-band EQ you're missing out on much more than just super low frequencies. You're messing with all your lows and some lower mids. Clouding the entire mix.
I prefer no sub on the HK system. This way I'm only missing on lows and lower and getting a much 'crisper' balanced mix. Both ways are inferior to a well balanced system though.

Last edited:

BigD

Reaction score
I just got the cheapest stock stereo they put in the Big Horn & that thing is plenty loud. I barely ever turn it past 10. I must be getting old. 😀 Sounds plenty good to me.

Mopar4u

Reaction score
Im generally ok with my 2022 hk except i want a little bump from the sub. I think i saw this done in a prior post but want to Confirm. Anything wrong with disconnecting factory sub, tap factory wires going to sub and run to high level input then aftermarket amp then back to factory sub?

wsutard1

Reaction score
Im generally ok with my 2022 hk except i want a little bump from the sub. I think i saw this done in a prior post but want to Confirm. Anything wrong with disconnecting factory sub, tap factory wires going to sub and run to high level input then aftermarket amp then back to factory sub?
An external amp won’t make the stock sub perform any better. The system is already set for the proper power going to that sub.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Furthers my point about how badly Ram balanced the HK system. If your bass slider lives it's entire existence at or below the '0' line, then the system is not balanced correctly. Having only a 3-band EQ you're missing out on much more than just super low frequencies. You're messing with all your lows and some lower mids. Clouding the entire mix.
I prefer no sub on the HK system. This way I'm only missing on lows and lower and getting a much 'crisper' balanced mix. Both ways are inferior to a well balanced system though.

I'm quite pleased with how mine sounds

RHeller1

Reaction score
I'm quite pleased with how mine sounds
As am I. I may try building a new box for the stock subwoofer as its a fairly easy thing to do. It might help, it might not. I am sure it will cut down on the resonating. There is plenty of room behind the rear seat to make a better box for the oem sub. The frequencies going to the sub wont change, but I feel the performance of it will. Its on my list of things to do.

Last edited:

Mopar4u

Reaction score
An external amp won’t make the stock sub perform any better. The system is already set for the proper power going to that sub.
Thank you
would it be acceptable to grab signal from the sub wires to high level input to amp to aftermarket sub?

wsutard1

Reaction score
Thank you
would it be acceptable to grab signal from the sub wires to high level input to amp to aftermarket sub?
Yes. But I would also use a DSP on that signal because the factory boosts certain frequencies.

CndnRam

Reaction score
Good link for a sub install. Going to try this next week just waiting for the harness, if it sounds not great will prob unplug stock sub and put a LC2i between the harness and amp. But as for now my amp can take the signal direct apparently so going to giver a go.

Mopar4u

Reaction score
Just want to confirm

I have 2022 laramie with HK system. The PAC APH-CH03 will work for my application?

Users who are viewing this thread