5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got oil cooler? No, u don’t...

U

User_3336

I was going to guess it had something to do with scantily clad woman and 100 dollar bills, but your answer sounds more correct 🤷‍♂️
Coking is the heating of coal in the absence of oxygen to a temperature above 600 °C to drive off the volatile components of the raw coal, leaving a hard, strong, porous material of high carbon content called coke.

It's possible to produce coke in our engines?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Coking is the heating of coal in the absence of oxygen to a temperature above 600 °C to drive off the volatile components of the raw coal, leaving a hard, strong, porous material of high carbon content called coke.

Look like it.
ffjgr9suram21.jpg

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It's also the industry term for solid deposits caused by high heat and/or oxidation.

This is talking about aviation oils but would also apply here:

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Yep, coking can be an issue in turbos if the wrong oil is used. Dexos 1 addresses this so a 5W-20 with the D1G2 certification, like Pennzoil Platinum, is capable of handling high engine heat. Not all 5W-20 oils carry the D1G2 certification because GM doesn’t recommend that grade in any of their current engines so some of the oil producers don’t submit that grade for the certification.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coking is a much bigger issue with direct injection motors, not so common with our port injection.

Drewster

Reaction score
Coking is a much bigger issue with direct injection motors, not so common with our port injection.
That's just a valve cover - run your oil long enough and any engine can look like that! :D

U

User_3336

Sooner or later, the RAM's are going to have direct injected engines.

Drewster

Reaction score
Sooner or later, the RAM's are going to have direct injected engines.
The good news is that RAM has drug their feet long enough that they may jump to both port and direct like Ford/ VW/ almost everyone now

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Catch can will solve that problem

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's been my understanding that what you called "a tiny water jacket in the oil filter mount" is actually a heat exchanger, and is considered an oil cooler. This device contains internal fins for heat transfer. Some older Honda's I've owned over the years had similar devices and were called oil coolers. Since it's main purpose is to transfer heat, I'd argue that it may serve to heat up the oil on cold starts, and cool the oil when the engine is warmed up and under load.
Yes and no. The heat exchanger in the oil filter mount was added as part of their fuel efficiency thermal package. It’s all about warming oil filter flow. With such as small surface area, it only does anything when the water and oil temps are significantly different, which only happens for a short period soon after startup (water heats much more quickly, and for a short time, is much hotter than the oil). Once at operating temps, the oil and water are typically within 20deg, so that thing does absolutely nothing to remove heat from the oil.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In heavy towing, on the 5.7L, you can see as high as 280F on the oil temps, coolant temps around 245F. Of course that's rather extreme cases of high load and elevation for an extended amount of time.

Your average oil temps should be around 210 - 230 range in most non-loaded applications with the Hemi. Coolant around 210 - 225F in those same conditions. But higher temps in heavier use is also normal.

There is a reason why manufacturers prefer the "dumb" gauges, which don't often show incremental temperature changes, only big movements. Its so it doesn't scare owners that see those fluctuations that normally happen, especially with coolant as it cycles from opening and closing the thermostat, which on many vehicles is over 20 degrees of fluctuations.
Despite what others may say, there’s no real benefit, but real downsides, to automotive lubricating oil being over 220deg. Yes, synth have more thermal headroom/margin, but I want to ensure my truck’s oil doesn’t exceed 240 (which it does under certain towing circumstances). Daily driving averages 200-210, peaks >240 towing: I’d be happy to keep the current daily ave temps, and just reduce the peaks to under 240.

So, current plan is:
- Moroso 23686 remote oil adapter
- Mishimoto in-line thermostat 200*
- unused oil cooler from a rally car project
- remote oil filter mount 22x1.5
- couple short and a couple longer -10AN braided hoses

Filter will go on pass. side frame, cooler will go either where the pass. tow hook would go, or just in front of the condenser. Should be fun...

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Whew!!! I was thinking along the LINES on a table and the scantily clad $100, or women, or whatever.o_O

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The good news is that RAM has drug their feet long enough that they may jump to both port and direct like Ford/ VW/ almost everyone now

Stellanis /FCA does have one direct injection gasoline engine (2.0L I4) and it’s DI only

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there really any reason (technically speaking) to install a true oil cooler?
If you are pushing the truck to it's limit on a regular basis? Sure. But if that were the case you'd probably be better served getting an HD truck.

Users who are viewing this thread