5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got oil cooler? No, u don’t...

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hoping I’m proven wrong, but I took it as gospel what some said about there being an engine oil cooler built into the radiator in the 5.7 1500’s. Nope!

May not be true for all, but my 20 Laramie Sport 5.7 3.92 has no engine oil cooler. When changing the oil (upgraded to larger Wix filter and trying my latest No Drip oil change scheme :), did a thorough inspection...there’s no heat exchanger (radiator) for engine oil. There‘s a transmission fluid cooler, a transmission fluid heat exchanger (for trans warm-up), a tiny water jacket in the oil filter mount (presumably for oil warmup, too small in size and temp differential to cool oil), but no engine oil cooler.

Think you have one? Post a pic....

Now to go find a remote filter adapter with oil cooler ports....

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Which filter did you use? I tried to find a larger one to use, but couldn't find it. I also went to install the PakBrake remote oil filter and it is the wrong size. The threads are too big. Says it fits 2019+ Rams with the Hemi.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which filter did you use? I tried to find a larger one to use, but couldn't find it. I also went to install the PakBrake remote oil filter and it is the wrong size. The threads are too big. Says it fits 2019+ Rams with the Hemi.
1628024399557.jpeg

Scram1500

Reaction score
After some quick reading modern oils are designed to operate at 230-260, synthetic over 300. If oil does not reach 220, moisture and contaminants from the combustion process will not be evaporated and will create acids/salts in the oil

Drewster

Reaction score
I've seen mine above 230 when thrashing it. What temp should it be? This is only my second vehicle with an oil temp readout, I felt better before when I didn't know
230 is just fine - you want it to be around 210.

260-280 is usually when the oil breaks down a lot faster and everything else starts to overheat as well.

As you point out in your second post - FCA designed the truck to meet targets, and numerous folks have hauled more than the rated weight without overheating. It's fine as designed. You do not need to out-engineer the engineers that made your truck unless you're driving a 1500 like a 2500

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you're constantly seeing oil temps 270+ or something your oil is fine. In fact, any oil that meets ILSAC GF-6 has been tested to run at 151C (303.8F) sump temperatures for 90 hours (on a Pentastar 3.6 no less) to evaluate oxidation and piston deposits. This is far beyond anyone here will be pushing their trucks to unless there's something very, very wrong.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've seen mine above 230 when thrashing it. What temp should it be? This is only my second vehicle with an oil temp readout, I felt better before when I didn't know

In heavy towing, on the 5.7L, you can see as high as 280F on the oil temps, coolant temps around 245F. Of course that's rather extreme cases of high load and elevation for an extended amount of time.

Your average oil temps should be around 210 - 230 range in most non-loaded applications with the Hemi. Coolant around 210 - 225F in those same conditions. But higher temps in heavier use is also normal.

There is a reason why manufacturers prefer the "dumb" gauges, which don't often show incremental temperature changes, only big movements. Its so it doesn't scare owners that see those fluctuations that normally happen, especially with coolant as it cycles from opening and closing the thermostat, which on many vehicles is over 20 degrees of fluctuations.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hoping I’m proven wrong, but I took it as gospel what some said about there being an engine oil cooler built into the radiator in the 5.7 1500’s. Nope!

May not be true for all, but my 20 Laramie Sport 5.7 3.92 has no engine oil cooler. When changing the oil (upgraded to larger Wix filter and trying my latest No Drip oil change scheme :), did a thorough inspection...there’s no heat exchanger (radiator) for engine oil. There‘s a transmission fluid cooler, a transmission fluid heat exchanger (for trans warm-up), a tiny water jacket in the oil filter mount (presumably for oil warmup, too small in size and temp differential to cool oil), but no engine oil cooler.

Think you have one? Post a pic....

Now to go find a remote filter adapter with oil cooler ports....
It's been my understanding that what you called "a tiny water jacket in the oil filter mount" is actually a heat exchanger, and is considered an oil cooler. This device contains internal fins for heat transfer. Some older Honda's I've owned over the years had similar devices and were called oil coolers. Since it's main purpose is to transfer heat, I'd argue that it may serve to heat up the oil on cold starts, and cool the oil when the engine is warmed up and under load.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Do we need an oil cooler?
Good question.

Do much driving around Death Valley in the summer? Spend much time idling in the parking lot in Arizona? Chasing illegals back into the river in Texas? (Hey! How did that last question get in there?)

If not then you probably don't need an oil cooler to just commute to work.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Unless you're constantly seeing oil temps 270+ or something your oil is fine. In fact, any oil that meets ILSAC GF-6 has been tested to run at 151C (303.8F) sump temperatures for 90 hours (on a Pentastar 3.6 no less) to evaluate oxidation and piston deposits. This is far beyond anyone here will be pushing their trucks to unless there's something very, very wrong.
In addition to API and ILSAC requirements oils that carry the Dexos 1 Generation 2 license also have to pass additional tests that evaluates a lubricants resistance to coking and buildup at extreme temperature operation in turbocharged engines. D1G2 also has a limit of 13% Noack volatility compared to 15% required by API SP.

U

User_3336

In addition to API and ILSAC requirements oils that carry the Dexos 1 Generation 2 license also have to pass additional tests that evaluates a lubricants resistance to coking and buildup at extreme temperature operation in turbocharged engines. D1G2 also has a limit of 13% Noack volatility compared to 15% required by API SP.
What is coking?

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
My 2019 5.7L engine has what FCA calls an "oil cooler." It's what the oil filter screws up to.
Look real close next time you change your filter. It's got coolant hoses attached, and it's between the oil filter and the block.
As was stated earlier in this thread, I think it's more for rapidly getting the oil to operating temp than for cooling the oil.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread